Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Schmye Bubbula
Topic Author

Got blocked by @RokuPlayer

Sat Dec 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Got blocked Friday by @RokuPlayer for posting these:

https://twitter.com/SchmyeBubbula/statu ... 3153300480
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

R.I.P. Roku XD|S (2100), Feb 2011–Apr 2016

twiceover

Re: Got blocked by @RokuPlayer

Tue Dec 20, 2016 6:41 am

I would have too. Really, daily complaining about the same thing. What were you expecting? It's not like their media team can give you an engineering answer.

It's time to let go of the dead technology. Am I sad that I recently had to throw away a perfectly good 32" CRT? Yes. But it is what it is.

When you say "thousands" it is actually more like "dozens".

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:59 pm

You were trolling them. Of course they will block you. And they have the right to do so.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

Schmye Bubbula
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:11 pm

Trolling?

• Two Roku Support case numbers: unanswered

• Unanswered PMs to:
RokuShawnS
RokuMarkn
RokuRich
RokuSmittie
RokuKevin
RokuRyan
RokuWimM

• Nothing ever came of this after the setting was removed:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=89245

• Ignored:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 60#p535110

• Ignored:
https://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?f ... 60#p545934

• My daily tweets began only after the @RokuPlayer Direct Message saying to give it "a week or two" went over a month of silence.

Nobody wants to even discuss this issue on its merits. Only criticism, blaming the victim, "get a new TV," condescension, or silence.

Worst customer service I've ever had.
– –
Roku 3 (4200) purchased for $22.93 on clearance at Office Depot > Bleiden HDMI-to-Composite converter > old 4:3 CRT TV (now in another room, as I have acquired a modern LCD flat screen TV, March 2017)

twiceover

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:15 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
Trolling?

I don't know the twitterspeak for what those messages are but you messaged them multiple times a day for two months straight.  That is called trolling.

mikebdoss

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:17 pm

Gotta agree. Regardless of your problem with Roku not supporting your issue, I was shocked at how many messages you sent their twitter account, repeating the same thing over and over. That's like yelling at the teller every day because you don't like the bank's financial policies. It's rude, it's the wrong approach, and it just makes you look bad.

Schmye Bubbula
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:33 pm

Not multiple times a day; only one post (or thread completing one thought in a 140-character limit venue) each business day, which, to repeat, began only after extended nonfeasance by Roku.

Not repeating the same thing over and over; each day raised a separate aspect of the issue. You guys just skimmed-over the tweets, without thoughtful consideration. Which is more egregious, the non-responsiveness by Roku, or my persistence seeking a straight answer to an honest question? I think you guys just want to bash me, or else you'd be addressing the merits of my complaints.
– –

trekkeriii

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:49 pm

Schmye Bubbula wrote:
Not multiple times a day; only one post (or thread completing one thought in a 140-character limit venue) each business day, which, to repeat, began only after extended nonfeasance by Roku.

Not repeating the same thing over and over; each day raised a separate aspect of the issue. You guys just skimmed-over the tweets, without thoughtful consideration. Which is more egregious, the non-responsiveness by Roku, or my persistence seeking a straight answer to an honest question? I think you guys just want to bash me, or else you'd be addressing the merits of my complaints.

Well, you did post a "Hack my Roku" post, which I think is probably what got you blocked. Talking about Hacking Rokus gets your threads locked here. I didn't look at every post because there was way too many to look at. But most were the same message said in different ways. And no offense you're asking for a feature that very people need. And it's a feature that was designed for Roku Engineers, only not meant for general public usage. You've been given options, you've rejected them.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

mikebdoss

Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:52 pm

You're right I glanced over them - there are pages and pages of them, and most look the same (especially once the comics started). 

None of us can answer your technical issues or speak to them, because we're not Roku. And we're not "bashing" you - we're saying that we're not surprised that you were blocked, given how you're handling the situation. 

As for your complaints, I wouldn't say they don't have merit, but I will say that expecting a company making new products to care about old technology isn't going to be a winning bet as we move into the future. You represent a radically small percentage of the Roku base, and you might just have to accept that and move on. 

I don't like when I'm ignored by companies either, but the approach you took toward the marketing folks isn't particularly useful or polite.

Schmye Bubbula
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:19 pm

Still smeeking me: As I said in the tweets, and documented in my other posts linked elsewhere here, the installed base of old TVs is by no stretch of the imagination "a radically small percentage": flat screens exceeded CRTs only a couple of years ago, and old TVs will remain nearly half in use for some years to come.... As far as I'm concerned, inasmuch as, in contrast to installed base, the sales market share of CRTs is essentially zero, Roku might serve its customers better by discontinuing the Express+, and reinstating "Enable selecting all resolutions" in the secret menu (supplied by the HDMI-to-Composite converter vendors), and maybe even sell its own converter. Then those needing advanced features in the higher-end models would not be left out in the cold.... In any event, I want my Roku back!
– –

mikebdoss

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:31 pm

I'm assuming Roku politely disagrees with the direction you think their business should go. 

Also, your numbers for CRT vs. flat screen TVs are misleading - it doesn't provide data about a home's primary TV, or limit the data to the US (where the majority of Roku products are sold), or describe the number of people with internet access who are buying TVs. Global numbers in this regard are meaningless. 

Also, I haven't seen many others with this issue. Don't older Rokus still, generally, work with older TVs, regardless of the menu option that's disappeared? Or is everyone with any CRT TV out of luck now?

Schmye Bubbula
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:49 pm

As I said in one of the tweets: Roku's business direction error is eyes glued to current sales market share (zero); not installed base (currently almost 50%).

The numbers not misleading: as I said in yet another tweet, your gauge for domestic use is the precious shelf space Walmart devotes to TV digital-to-analog boxes. Old TVs will eventually be gone by attrition, but not anytime soon.

No, everyone with any CRT TV not out of luck now without the menu option. But old Rokus are too slow for enthusiasts like us, ones without 5 GHz Wi-Fi are increasingly becoming deal-breakers with the accelerating 2.4 GHz "pollution" these days, many need RF-type remote controls, among other reasons. As I said in another of my tweets, even my Roku 3 is starting not to be fast enough for me traversing the GUI — I'd buy a Premiere for only the 4-core ARM CPU speed at the drop of a dime, if only Roku would put the secret menu item back.
– –

MacysBruce

Tue Dec 20, 2016 8:52 pm

Yep, that was a textbook case of trolling. And harassment. And ridiculous behavior. You were way out of line. 

I'm a retail manager. I have no problem telling a "customer" that he/she is expected to treat my associates correctly in my store, or they don't shop there. Plain and simple..."customers" want me to treat them well, they must treat me well. 

You did not treat ROKU well. They had every right to block you and ignore you. Everyone makes choices--you chose to be not so nice. The consequence was the blocking. 
I will bring home anyone or anything I choose...including a one eyed Episcopalian kangaroo, if that happens to be my kinky inclination!

Schmye Bubbula
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:03 pm

^ Smeeked again. And you obviously didn't carefully read, and thus didn't grasp the significance, of my tweets, the gross negligence on Roku customer service's part that led up to them, and the prior repeated nonfeasance in the links I posted. I daresay that if your associates treated your customers the way Roku has treated (or, more precisely, didn't) treat me, then you presumably would have summarily dismissed them.
– –

KenJackson

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:04 pm

I'm shocked by two things.

One, the lack of sympathy for someone that wants to continue to use his Roku with a CRT TV.  Sure it's old, but if it satisfies, why discard it?

Two, I'm really shocked that any company would use Twitter for service requests.