Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Fake Ghost Pirate
Topic Author

Why Does Youtube Crash the Roku 2 EVERY TIME?

Sun Dec 18, 2016 10:41 am

Every single time I try to use Youtube, the Roku crashes. Sometimes if I just let the video play it can get to the end, but I don't dare pause or rewind. Oh no.

Only the "legit" Youtube has this problem. The bootleg version worked perfectly until they took it down (of course). I guess Google is committed to making sure nothing ever, ever works right on their watch!

mc510

Re: Why Does Youtube Crash the Roku 2 EVERY TIME?

Sun Dec 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Don't have an answer for you, but on my Roku 2 XS, YouTube crashes the device only occasionally.  It's laggy and poorly responsive to remote-control 100% of the time, which I put down to the app being designed for newer devices with more memory and heftier CPUs. The odd thing, though, is that when the official YouTube app was introduced it was slow but never crashed the Roku, but some combination of newer versions of the app and newer versions of Roku OS now do cause it to crash. 

Fake Ghost Pirate
Topic Author

Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:47 pm

Is there any way to get the old "bootleg" youtube app again?

crammy

Tue Jan 03, 2017 4:04 pm

On my Roku3 4200X  if I fast forward or rewind a Youtube video several times it will eventually stop playing.  Or if I pause a video for several hours and start playback it will stop after a few seconds.

mrjlturner

Sun Jan 08, 2017 1:35 pm

Same issue here.  I have a ROKU 2 XS.  The only way to prevent it from crashing is to reboot the ROKU before using Youtube.  I'm running the most recent firmware version with the latest application available.  The only thing that I haven't tried yet is to insert a MicroSD card to allow Youtube to cache to the card.  That may fix the issue.  The issue that I see is that I play a video, and within about 20-30 seconds (before the video clears up from like 240p to 720p) the application crashes and I am returned to the home screen.  I'll see if I can't test the SDCard trick and see if that helps alleviate the issue.
My ROKU Info:
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Roku Premier+ (Wireless | Static IP) - HDMI (1080P)
Spectrum Internet (100 Mbps / 10 Mbps)
Netflix; Hulu Plus; Amazon Prime

Pompey

Sun Jan 08, 2017 5:34 pm

I have a 2 XS with an 8 MB card inserted and it does nothing to stop the reboots.  Also, warm booting the Roku as a prophylaxis is not always successful.
"One great use of words is to hide our thoughts." Voltaire
"We are masters of the unsaid words, but slaves of those we let slip out." Winston Churchill

atc98092

Sun Jan 08, 2017 7:19 pm

I haven't used my 2 XS in quite a while. It is so drastically under-powered for the current versions of Roku firmware and apps that it isn't usable (to me) any longer. When I did last use it, YouTube was the one app that had the worst performance. I do recall that it crashed on occasion, but only if I had been trying to FF or rewind. Of my current players using the YT app, the Stick and TV have a little lag when FF or rewinding, but the 4 and Ultra work flawlessly. 

Personally, I think it's time to retire the 2 XS and any other boxes that are that old. One of the problems with Roku branding is that there are a number of players called Roku 2 or 3 that have very different capabilities. I really wish they hadn't reused the same model names with different actual models. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

wingrider

Tue Jan 10, 2017 7:20 am

Same issues with my 2XS and You Tube making it just about worthless at least for YT.  I have a 2015 2 and You Tube works although since they puts ads on just about every video now I do occasionally get freeze ups and I have to back out to the main menu. I'll keep the XS for the connectivity to older hardware and so the kids can play angry birds but it's pretty much a relic.   

jrijr

Sat Mar 18, 2017 7:23 pm

wingrider wrote:
Same issues with my 2XS and You Tube making it just about worthless at least for YT.  I have a 2015 2 and You Tube works although since they puts ads on just about every video now I do occasionally get freeze ups and I have to back out to the main menu. I'll keep the XS for the connectivity to older hardware and so the kids can play angry birds but it's pretty much a relic.   

When I watch YouTube on my Roku stick, I will set up several videos to play one after the other. If there is a YouTube ad, it "locks up" the play - it will show 0:01 on the screen, like the ad isn't quite done, but the next video in the queue will not start. I have to close out of YouTube, go back in and redo the video list... But if ads appear it happens again.

I know... #FirstWorldProblems, but still frustrating.
Bloomington, IN. Star Wars fan. Toyota FJ driver. Three Labrador Retrievers. Keto.

fuzzy

Sat Mar 18, 2017 10:55 pm

having same type of problems on Roku Ultra!!!!!!!!! :oops:
sony xbr65x850c tv, TX-RZ810 ONKYO rec., HDMI to REC., roku ultra and roku3 both wired,technicolor c2000t modem, 20 mbs dsl

atc98092

Sun Mar 19, 2017 6:10 pm

These problems belong on the lap of Google/YouTube, not Roku. Google is the designer of the channel. But as I mentioned before, the 2 XS just can't cut it anymore. Roku discontinued it 4 years ago, and technology has passed it by.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.