Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

spitzi
Topic Author

Amazon Video Channel in Israel

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:10 am

Hello,
Amazon has recently opened its video service to many more countries, including Israel, where I reside.
I have a Roku 3 (model 4230X), but the Amazon (Prime) video channel still doesn't appear for me.
When does Roku plan to offer Amazon (Prime) video channel in Israel too?
Thanks.

Elijah_Baley

Re: Amazon Video Channel in Israel

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:33 am

spitzi wrote:
Hello,
Amazon has recently opened its video service to many more countries, including Israel, where I reside.
I have a Roku 3 (model 4230X), but the Amazon (Prime) video channel still doesn't appear for me.
When does Roku plan to offer Amazon (Prime) video channel in Israel too?
Thanks.

It is not up to Roku but rather it is up to Amazon as it is their content.

They would simply (or not so simply) need to place their app in the "rest of the world" category. However there are, could be, complications in that the content is not licensed the same everywhere and each country would need to have its allowed content correctly limited or expanded.

Therefore it is not just a matter of allowing the app and there is also the issue that Rokus are not officially supported in most of the world including Israel.

From what I understand there are still many places where Netflix is available but the Netflix app is not available on the Roku and it is possible that similar issues will exist for Amazon.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

spitzi
Topic Author

Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:39 am

Thanks for the informative response.
My roku has the Netflix channel, which is in fact what I use the roku most for.
I'll write Amazon customer service, holefully they'll allow roku users worldwide access to their app. Contents are controlled through subscription anyway, I guess.

tb2002

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:03 am

Hi,

Looking for information.  Looked into Roku a few years ago and it wasn't feasible here in Israel.  You say you use Netflix on a Roku here?  Is it a subset of Netflix (small selection for Israel) or is it the full Netflix library? Where did you purchase your Roku, and are there any other things needed to set it up and make it work here?  Thanks.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:45 am

tb2002 wrote:
Hi,

Looking for information.  Looked into Roku a few years ago and it wasn't feasible here in Israel.  You say you use Netflix on a Roku here?  Is it a subset of Netflix (small selection for Israel) or is it the full Netflix library? Where did you purchase your Roku, and are there any other things needed to set it up and make it work here?  Thanks.

Netflix library varies based on Region/Country. Netflix US will have items Netflix UK doesn't and vice versa. So no one really has the "Full Library". You will not get the content available in the US though. You will get whatever Netflix in Israel is licensed to. Don't think Roku is officially supported in Israel, yet. So, I don't know if Netflix on Roku works there or not. I have heard of other countries where Netflix is working where Roku is not officially supported, yet.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

DrL

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:37 am

Is there any update on this? I have Netflix and Amazon Prime on my LG Smart TV, my Android tablet and my Android phone. But My Roku stick does not have Amazon Prime on my dumb TV; it does have Netflix. 
Apparently Amazon is ok with my having Amazon Prime in Israel. The problem would seem to be Roku. 

DBDukes

Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:21 am

DrL wrote:
Is there any update on this? I have Netflix and Amazon Prime on my LG Smart TV, my Android tablet and my Android phone. But My Roku stick does not have Amazon Prime on my dumb TV; it does have Netflix. 
Apparently Amazon is ok with my having Amazon Prime in Israel. The problem would seem to be Roku. 

That's not correct. Roku doesn't care. The app developers have control over what apps are available on what devices and in what locations. It's up to the app developers to say whether or not one of their apps is available in any particular location.

Some app developers -- Amazon creates the Amazon app, so Amazon is the app developer in this case -- choose to not make apps available in places where Roku isn't officially supported (sold in stores). Amazon appears to have done this. Roku is blocking nothing.

This isn't all that uncommon. For example, BBC has in the past chosen to make their apps available on only certain Roku devices in the U.K. On some, the app is available, but on others, it's not. The excluded devices were devices not sold in the U.K. but that users had imported.

Amazon is not available in many locations where Roku isn't sold. Most recently, users from Egypt were asking this very question. Users in Africa, Asia, Australia, and Europe have encountered this over the years.

Talk to Amazon. Keep in mind, though, Amazon's not the only one to do this. Just the only one you've tried and run into this.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

DrL

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:04 pm

Sorry to be stubborn, but I don't understand why Amazon is available on my other devices here. Amazon does not seem to have a policy blocking Prime Video in Israel. 

DBDukes

Tue Feb 12, 2019 2:19 pm

DrL wrote:
Sorry to be stubborn, but I don't understand why Amazon is available on my other devices here. Amazon does not seem to have a policy blocking Prime Video in Israel. 

You'd have to ask Amazon. I can't speak to why Amazon would choose to not support Roku there or in other places where they choose to not support.

I don't know what other devices you're using, but if they are devices that are sold and supported by their manufacturer in country, then that could be it. Roku doesn't sell devices everywhere.

Here is where Roku is sold and supported:

Argentina
Canada
Chile
Colombia
Costa Rica
El Salvador
France
Guatemala
Honduras
Mexico
Nicaragua
Panama
Peru
United Kingdom
United States

If you aren't there, you won't get support from Roku. Well, they actually have attempted to help people outside those regions on this Forum, but the bottom line is, Roku is officially unsupported there.

I suspect, but don't know for certain, that Amazon won't support their service on devices that aren't supported by the manufacturer. You can test that, though. I can't, because I'm not there. But, you could attempt to find another device that is not sold in country and try to use Amazon on it, without attempting to get around Geo-restrictions. Then you'll know.

Regardless, whether you like it, whether you understand why, none of that matters to facts. Facts are stubborn that way. Amazon and all app developers make the call about whether or not their services will work on Roku in any particular country. Roku doesn't make that call. If Amazon updated their Roku app to allow it, it would work.

Keep in mind that there are devices in the United States that Amazon won't work on. They're older devices, to be sure, but app developers determine what devices they'll support, and where.
DBDukes
http://TelevisionMyWay.com
-------------------------------------------------
Roku Ultra (4660)
Roku Premiere+ (3921)
Roku Stick (model 3600)

speechles

Tue Feb 12, 2019 3:27 pm

DrL wrote:

The Roku isn't an Amazon device. As such there is lag when Amazon announces things and when they "trickle down" to becoming part of their Roku app. Keep in mind Amazon has a competing device and puts a focus on their devices being the defacto way to access their content. Eventually with enough voices Amazon may fix their Roku app to the standards their own devices have privilege. Until such time comes all you can do is wait. Pontificate, wonder, and question their motives. The ball is entirely in their court. This isn't an equal play field. There are strategic decisions that go into things like this.

trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:57 pm

DrL wrote:

They didn't checkmark the "Rest of the World" box when publishing the app on Roku. There's region boxes developers (in this case Amazon) can check when publishing on the Roku Channel Store. Israel is not one of those boxes, so to publish in Israel, "Rest of the World" has to be checked. So, Amazon doesn't want "Rest of the World" to be checked on their settings so that areas that don't have Amazon doesn't get it.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert

DrL

Wed Feb 13, 2019 2:26 am

Thank you for the replies. I posted this issue in the Amazon Digital and Device Forum.