Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

 
DBDigital
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:56 am

Make sure you contact Roku about problems with a new device a MONTH or more after it happens

Fri Dec 23, 2016 1:12 pm

A couple of weeks ago I got a new Roku3 as a Christmas gift.  It was given early so I could enjoy the Christmas specials.  Well the day I got it I noticed that it reverted its firmware to 5.2 (or something like that I know it was 5.x) from the 7.x I had upgraded it to.  I noticed it when Netflix or Amazon refused to work.  Although, other channels still did.  That prompted me to go looking around and found the firmware reverted.  I updated it again.  But then I noticed it reverted again.  At first I thought it was  reverting after a power loss.  So I contacted support, they asked for serial number etc etc.  And the problem which I had already mentioned but did so again.

They asked what retailer and I told them it was via a credit card points reward system, not a normal retailer.  I mentioned this several times.  It seems to be a hardware issue and I was asked for my address for a replacement.  I hadn't heard anything for a few days and I assumed a replacement was sent.

Today I get a email saying that upon seeing that the fault only happened 10 days after activation that I needed to take it back to my retailer.

Umm, hello?  I had mentioned it was not a retailer.  This is not a method I can return things to.  And it was a gift.  The kicker is, if I had waited a month before reporting the issue, I would have been taken care of.  Instead the buck was passed as the saying goes.  Wish I had asked for a Amazon Fire Stick.  :/  It works at least but I think I will get something else later on, format this, and give it to goodwill making a point to avoid Roku in the future.  A shame as the channel selection is second to none.  But I don't want to keep updating this thing every time I want to use it.
 
Arwen
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Middle Earth

Re: Make sure you contact Roku about problems with a new device a MONTH or more after it happens

Fri Dec 23, 2016 3:13 pm

It almost sounds like your Roku was used in a Beta test. Roku development can select
specific users, (or specific Rokus), to have certain firmware loaded. I don't know much
about it, since I've never signed up for Beta testing for my Rokus.

Contact them again, and be specific. It's likely you won't get satisfaction immediately,
but mentioning Beta test and having specific firmware assigned may help.
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth
 
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Posts: 6625
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Make sure you contact Roku about problems with a new device a MONTH or more after it happens

Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:32 pm

Have you tried setting the Roku to factory defaults?  It's in Settings > System

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
 
DBDigital
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:56 am

Re: Make sure you contact Roku about problems with a new device a MONTH or more after it happens

Mon Dec 26, 2016 12:13 pm

Arwen wrote:
It almost sounds like your Roku was used in a Beta test. Roku development can select
specific users, (or specific Rokus), to have certain firmware loaded. I don't know much
about it, since I've never signed up for Beta testing for my Rokus.

Contact them again, and be specific. It's likely you won't get satisfaction immediately,
but mentioning Beta test and having specific firmware assigned may help.

That would be very odd considering it was *suppose* to be a new unit not refurbished.  There isn't any sign that it has been refurbished (stickers etc) but that is some times omitted I admit.
RokuShawnS wrote:
Have you tried setting the Roku to factory defaults?  It's in Settings > System

C. Shawn Smith

I thought I did before when i was trying everything, but I couldn't specifically remember that so I tried again just now.  And no change.
I did write back to support saying (again) that I couldn't return it to a retailer and it was a gift as well.  I received a email yesterday saying they are, as per my request, processing a replacement.  So we will see.  I was thinking of sending a "thank you" back, but I don't want to add to any confusion that already seems rampant.
 
Arwen
Posts: 366
Joined: Tue Dec 22, 2009 11:33 am
Location: Middle Earth

Re: Make sure you contact Roku about problems with a new device a MONTH or more after it happens

Mon Dec 26, 2016 11:33 pm

DBDigital wrote:
Arwen wrote:
It almost sounds like your Roku was used in a Beta test. Roku development can select
specific users, (or specific Rokus), to have certain firmware loaded. I don't know much
about it, since I've never signed up for Beta testing for my Rokus.

Contact them again, and be specific. It's likely you won't get satisfaction immediately,
but mentioning Beta test and having specific firmware assigned may help.

That would be very odd considering it was *suppose* to be a new unit not refurbished.  There isn't any sign that it has been refurbished (stickers etc) but that is some times omitted I admit.

I have seen some really odd things happen when people have to support computers. Specifically
my thought is that your serial number was mistakenly entered into a beta test program. Then the
actual beta tester called up to say his Roku was not using beta firmware, so the "real" serial number
was put in. The old one, (yours), was never removed. Weird, but possible.

Getting a replacement sounds like it will solve the problem too.
Arwen Evenstar

Middle Earth
 
DBDigital
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:56 am

Re: Make sure you contact Roku about problems with a new device a MONTH or more after it happens

Tue Dec 27, 2016 3:45 pm

Arwen wrote:
DBDigital wrote:
Arwen wrote:
It almost sounds like your Roku was used in a Beta test. Roku development can select
specific users, (or specific Rokus), to have certain firmware loaded. I don't know much
about it, since I've never signed up for Beta testing for my Rokus.

Contact them again, and be specific. It's likely you won't get satisfaction immediately,
but mentioning Beta test and having specific firmware assigned may help.

That would be very odd considering it was *suppose* to be a new unit not refurbished.  There isn't any sign that it has been refurbished (stickers etc) but that is some times omitted I admit.

I have seen some really odd things happen when people have to support computers. Specifically
my thought is that your serial number was mistakenly entered into a beta test program. Then the
actual beta tester called up to say his Roku was not using beta firmware, so the "real" serial number
was put in. The old one, (yours), was never removed. Weird, but possible.

Getting a replacement sounds like it will solve the problem too.


True I have seen a lot of odd things as well.  My thought was they would have looked up the history of this serial number, at least that would have been the first thing I would have done.  Especially since they should know about beta firmware and this is acting like it (from what you have said), and it wouldn't require a replacement unit.  Still I guess we will see.  I haven't got a confirmation email that a replacement was sent.  I am keeping a open mind at the moment, but I can't say I have been impressed with customer support thus far.
 
User avatar
RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering
Posts: 6625
Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 2:21 pm

Re: Make sure you contact Roku about problems with a new device a MONTH or more after it happens

Tue Dec 27, 2016 5:23 pm

If you send me the serial number (if you still have access to it), I could look it up.

The most likely case is a hardware issue.  The secondary cause is that it could have been a unit that was placed on that specific firmware for a technical issue, and was just never removed.  The latter is very rare though.
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan
 
DBDigital
Topic Author
Posts: 11
Joined: Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:56 am

Re: Make sure you contact Roku about problems with a new device a MONTH or more after it happens

Tue Dec 27, 2016 6:10 pm

RokuShawnS wrote:
If you send me the serial number (if you still have access to it), I could look it up.

The most likely case is a hardware issue.  The secondary cause is that it could have been a unit that was placed on that specific firmware for a technical issue, and was just never removed.  The latter is very rare though.

I do indeed still have the unit, and done (PMed it).  Thank you.  It will be interesting to know if that is the problem or if it is a odd hardware fault.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 30 guests