Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

RokuDavidM
Topic Author

Roll out of OS 7.5.1 to Ultra, Premiere+, and Premiere has been suspended

Fri Dec 23, 2016 4:24 pm

Roku OS 7.5 is the latest version of operating system for current-generation Roku streaming players and Roku TV™ models. Among the features and bug fixes included in this update, screen mirroring was enabled for Roku Express, Roku Express+, Roku Premiere, Roku Premiere+ and Roku Ultra.

The distribution of Roku OS 7.5 is delivered in phases and happens over several weeks. Some devices will receive it before others and some may receive it for a limited time while we conduct testing.

A small number of Roku Premiere, Premiere+ and Ultra players were updated to Roku OS 7.5. We decided to move these players back to Roku OS 7.2 while we continue testing. If you were in this group, you will get the updated software when it is distributed after the New Year.

Thank you,
David Mendenhall
Roku, Inc.

JohnBoy1

Re: Roll out of OS 7.5.1 to Ultra, Premiere+, and Premiere has been suspended

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:17 pm

Please include 4k 24hz in the new re-release (That will be my Christmas present from Roku) :D

rockou

Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:37 pm

yea 24hz would be great.
The last update to 7.5.1 4085 seems like it solved my problems and now they are gonna take it back. Ah well hopefully they get it working well for everyone when we get it back.
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
4K HDR blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K HDR streamer: Roku Ultra (2016 model)
4K HDR Gaming: Xbox One X
4K HDR DVR: Directv Genie HS17-500 w/ C61K mini client
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

Faiello

Fri Dec 23, 2016 6:00 pm

If we have 7.5 do we have to go back to 7.2. I have the upgrade and have experienced no issues plus love having screen mirroring back?

aaronwt

Fri Dec 23, 2016 7:55 pm

Yes. With the new update I finally have 10bit output like it should be. And rolling it back will make it erroneously output 12bit again. I was going to put my Ultra back on my HDMI 2.0a switch. But if it's going to be rolled back to erroneously outputting content in 12 bit, then I'll need to wait. Since when a very early firmware update switched the ROku to 12 bit output, it wouldn't work with my switch. So I was happy to see the new hidden menu that allowed it to output in 10 bit again. Like it should be doing. 
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra
53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

rockou

Fri Dec 23, 2016 9:57 pm

5 minutes after I posted here last I checked for updates and mine went back to 7.2.2. Netflix is still working fine (I guess that was a Netflix problem not Roku) but the audio drop after pausing and resuming came back. Also when viewing HDR in Netflix the little buffering symbol went back to looking jaggedy and  low res.
Other than that this older version seems to work ok. I could be wrong but the newer version seemed like it had a little bit better look to the picture.

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Sat Dec 24, 2016 2:40 am

Faiello wrote:
If we have 7.5 do we have to go back to 7.2. I have the upgrade and have experienced no issues plus love having screen mirroring back?

This rollback is system wide, so no, you won't be able to go back to 7.5.  I don't think you will have very long to wait for the next update, however.  Some of us are working through the holidays to help keep things on track :)

C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

bargervais

Sat Dec 24, 2016 4:11 am

Turned my Roku Ultra on this morning and everything was gone, It wanted me to reactivate it but when I tried to I couldn't. Image so I did a factory reset, then reactivated the Roku all is there now. I had to sign in again to everything. Now when I go to Netflix I don't see the row of 4K, but I do get HDR and UHD 4K, but I have to hunt for them. What a PITA
MY TV is a  Samsung 65KS8000  my Roku Ultra is going through my AVR ( TX-NR747 ) to the TV if that helps. 
My Roku Ultra is on firmware 7.2.2 presently.

aaronwt

Sat Dec 24, 2016 7:13 am

Crap.. Now that my Ultra is back to 7.2.2 HDMI -CEC is no longer working properly. With 7.5.1, I could finally control the volume with the roku remote while I actually watched content from the Roku. With 7.2.2 it only works when viewing content from other devices, never when viewing content from the ROku. And the setting is borked. If I enable HDMI-CEC in the ROku, it doesn't work at all. If I disable it then it works, but only when viewing other devices. With 7.5.1 it worked properly and could be used while viewing content from my ROku. 7.2.2 has more issues that 7.5.1 had. Not sure why I needed to downgrade to an inferior software version?
TCL 6 Series--Streaming Stick Plus--2016 Ultra
53TB unRAID2--45TB unRAID3--35TB unRAID1a

rockou

Sat Dec 24, 2016 8:32 am

Thanks for those at Roku working through Christmas to get this software fixed. Looking forward to having 7.5 back again and working well.

Merry Christmas to all and to all a good Roku!

sdc111

Sat Dec 24, 2016 9:16 am

I may be in the minority but I'm thankful that you've rolled my Premiere+ back to v7.2.2. I've been pulling and plugging the HDMI cable every morning so that the snow-induced HDCP fail screen will go away. This was a problem with the original (to me) v7.2.0 and early v7.2.2 releases but went away with later v7.2.2 versions. In v7.5.1 (b4068-29) and v7.5.1 (b4075-29) releases I saw the return of that issue. I don't mind be a lab-rat for testing just so long as progress is being made (or regression in this case). The morass of 4k, non-compliant or partially compliant equipment leads to a myriad of different issues while the market shakes out. I look forward to the fully baked roll-out that tackles the majority of the things people didn't expect to happen with a Roku product.

Happy Holidays and best wishes.

berting

Sat Dec 24, 2016 10:13 am

I'm also back to working normally on my Roku Ultra using V7.2.2, and I'd also like to thank you folks at Roku for your hard work and extra effort around the holidays. Merry Christmas and/or Happy Hanukkah to all...

atc98092

Sun Dec 25, 2016 1:43 pm

aaronwt wrote:
Crap.. Now that my Ultra is back to 7.2.2 HDMI -CEC is no longer working properly. With 7.5.1, I could finally control the volume with the roku remote while I actually watched content from the Roku. With 7.2.2 it only works when viewing content from other devices, never when viewing content from the ROku. And the setting is borked. If I enable HDMI-CEC in the ROku, it doesn't work at all. If I disable it then it works, but only when viewing other devices. With 7.5.1 it worked properly and could be used while viewing content from my ROku. 7.2.2 has more issues that 7.5.1 had. Not sure why I needed to downgrade to an inferior software version?

Because 7.5.1 had some serious issues for many users. Roku made the decision to roll everyone back, since it wasn't practical to only do some users. Tough decision, but probably the correct one for the vast majority of users. Shawn has stated that they are working over the holidays to resolve the issues, so it shouldn't be too long before you get your functionality back. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Rcosta

Sun Dec 25, 2016 2:20 pm

@All,

The next time that you consider criticizing Roku for a specific software release, think about the statement that C.Shawn Smith just made. They are working through the holidays to make corrections in the software so that you can enjoy the improvements in the New Year.

In my entire career in the Silicon Valley, I have not seen a such dedicated company. I firmly believe that this dedication to excellence is in the culture of Roku.  This dedication to excellence comes from an example from the top. ( Anthony Wood) and the dedicated employees of Roku. When Roku decides to go public, I will be in line to purchase as many shares of Roku as I can.

Is the Roku product perfect and have all of the feature sets that we desire? No. No product is, but Mr. Wood's vision for the future will drive Roku to become better than they are now.

Happy Holidays and Happy New Year to everyone here on the Forum and to the dedicated Roku employees working during the holidays.
Roku 4 w/32 GB MicroSD
Roku Premier
Roku Stick (3600r)
39" Roku TV
55" Roku TV
Asus O! Play Mini w/1TB
Sony BDP-6500 up-scaling 4K Blueray DVD

Elijah_Baley

Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:34 pm

It is good for me that I have Roku 3s as well as my Ultra. The 7.5 firmware made my Ultra almost as pleasant to use as my 3s. By eliminating the extremely irritating audio dropouts after resuming from pause there were no real noticeable problems during regular usage. But after the rollback my Ultra has again gained that problem and made it such that using my Ultra results in a gradual frustration level increase during an extended period of usage.

I really wish Roku could have come up with a way to allow users to choose to roll back or not roll back so that those of us that had no problems and improved overall operation could have kept the better (for us) firmware on our Ultras.

As I said I have Roku 3s and I have switched back to using them as my primary Rokus but I do not think it should have been needed. In situations like this user choice should be paramount but Roku place their ease above their customer's desires. It "should" have been almost as easy to make the rollback optional and then upgraded both groups to whatever new version contains the needed fixes. But Roku did not think of that and they did not ask their users but, rather, the took the easiest route they had to fix their screw-up and thereby screwed a percentage of their Ultra user base.

There still is no better option for my streaming usage but Roku (the company) has become an unpleasant company to deal with and they have also become too big to even think about what adversely impacts their customers.

Roku screwed up the streaming for some of their users with the 7.5 release BUT the 7.5 release fixed problems for a number of us so, in order to fix the problems for one group, they screwed the rest of us because they were too lazy to temporarily have two versions of the software out in the wild.

This is not the first time Roku has placed the good of their developers above the good of their customers and I am sure it will not be the last. Roku makes the best streaming device there is but their interaction with their customer base sucks.
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.