Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rockou

Re: Roll out of OS 7.5.1 to Ultra, Premiere+, and Premiere has been suspended

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:28 am

Just updated mine to 7.5.1 and it is working beautifully. The video especially HDR looks better quality with this version to me.
Haven't tried to restart the Roku since there is no need to so I'm not sure if it will go back to 7.2.2
Any reason why you other people are restarting your Rokus or is it restarting on it's own?

I see the secret menu option to turn on 4:2:0 10 bit or 4:2:2 12 bit for HDR is still there.
HOME HOME HOME HOME HOME DOWN LEFT UP UP UP  then just press the select button to change the option. Mine defaulted to 10 bit. I watched some snippets of HDR movies on Netflix in 10 bit then switched it to 12 bit and I don't really see any difference. Neither had color banding. I guess I'll leave it on 4:2:0 10 bit

Hopefully it stays on my Ultra, no sign of any HDCP errors like last time with 7.5.1
4K HDR TV: Samsung UN60KS8000
4K HDR Receiver: Yamaha RX-V381
HD DVR: Directv Genie HR54-200
4K blu ray: Samsung UBD-K8500
4K streamer: Roku Ultra
Cables: Amazon Basics 18Gbps HDMI

HRSCR

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:06 am

Today, In Plex forum someone announce 7.5.1 is available again
Can somebody confirm that?

Thank you

THe reference link is here: http://forums.plex.tv/discussion/253052/roku-has-rereleased-7-5-1-for-ultras-and-premiers
TV: LG 65UH6150 - AVS: Yamaha RX-A810 AVENTAGE + Yamaha RX-v679 - Roku Ultra 4640x - Apple TV4 - Nvidia Shield Pro 2nd. Gen.

ssbrig

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:54 am

7.5.1 was pushed out (Jan 6 for my Premiere+) but it rolls back to 7.2.2 after a couple hours or when you restart the device.  I called customer service this morning and received the same story - technical support is working to fix the issue with 7.5 and until it is resolved, devices are being rolled back to 7.2.x.  No time estimate for when they will get this resolved and push the 7.5.x update that will hold on all devices 

HRSCR

Sat Jan 07, 2017 8:59 am

ssbrig wrote:
7.5.1 was pushed out (Jan 6 for my Premiere+) but it rolls back to 7.2.2 after a couple hours or when you restart the device.  I called customer service this morning and received the same story - technical support is working to fix the issue with 7.5 and until it is resolved, devices are being rolled back to 7.2.x.  No time estimate for when they will get this resolved and push the 7.5.x update that will hold on all devices 

Thank you very much for your quick answer!
TV: LG 65UH6150 - AVS: Yamaha RX-A810 AVENTAGE + Yamaha RX-v679 - Roku Ultra 4640x - Apple TV4 - Nvidia Shield Pro 2nd. Gen.

Mizzata

Sat Jan 07, 2017 11:37 am

rockou wrote:
Just updated mine to 7.5.1 and it is working beautifully. The video especially HDR looks better quality with this version to me.
Haven't tried to restart the Roku since there is no need to so I'm not sure if it will go back to 7.2.2
Any reason why you other people are restarting your Rokus or is it restarting on it's own?

I see the secret menu option to turn on 4:2:0 10 bit or 4:2:2 12 bit for HDR is still there.
HOME HOME HOME HOME HOME DOWN LEFT UP UP UP  then just press the select button to change the option. Mine defaulted to 10 bit. I watched some snippets of HDR movies on Netflix in 10 bit then switched it to 12 bit and I don't really see any difference. Neither had color banding. I guess I'll leave it on 4:2:0 10 bit

Hopefully it stays on my Ultra, no sign of any HDCP errors like last time with 7.5.1

I updated to 7.5 yesterday and did not restart my Roku Ultra and when I checked today it had reverted back to 7.2 on its own.  I was able to check for an update today and again upgrade to 7.5.  I wish that there was some way to not have it automatically check for updates as I am perfectly happy with 7.5 and DO NOT want it to keep reverting back to 7.2.  
You do not notice a difference in 10 and 12 bit because your Samsung tv is a 2016 model (KS series) that is able to downconvert 12 bit signals to 10 bit to match your display color depth... but apparently the 2015 (JS series) are not able to downconvert and 12 bit signals result in color banding.  

sandra58

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:17 pm

rockou wrote:

Both of my Ultra's have automatically checked for updates twice today , thus restarting on their own and reverting them back to the old firmware 7.2.2.  I have manually updated the firmware to get them back to 7.5.1

EDIT:  My 2nd Ultra has reset itself again.  The third time today it reverted back to 7.2.2.  I'm sure the other will follow and reset again. 

rockou

Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:28 pm

Ok thanks for the replies. My wife has been hogging the tv today in this hilarious "blizzard" we are having in Virginia. Got almost 2 inches since last night and they said we were in the 8-12" path. Not complaining as I hate snow but enough with the over hyping stuff already...

Anyways, I'll have to see if mine downgraded itself as well.

I still don't understand why Roku is even putting out 12 bit. Why not just put out 10 bit and leave it at that? For those that do not see banding with 12 bit enabled is that supposedly giving a better picture? If so I'll leave it on that setting. When I get more time on the tv I'll try and compare some Netflix 4k HDR with it on each setting and look more closely for quality details.

MrHockeyNo9

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:19 pm

JesuSaves wrote:
MrHockeyNo9 wrote:
When using this new 7.5.1.4086 on my Premiere with the Plex channel, all my files with DTS audio are now out of sync (audio is ~1 sec. ahead of video).
Does this happen with anyone else?
But when using it with Roku Media Player to access my Plex Media Server it's OK.
Whew!... a "System Restart" reverts it back to 7.2.2.7146 though (I think that's what JesuSaves had ment).

I haven't used Plex...but on netflix it felt like it was slightly out of sync

Thanks for the reply... I'm just hoping this new update isn't forced to my Roku TV and brakes DTS audio sync on that as well (7.5.0.4108 has been flawless).
At least I still have a little time left for a refund option on the Premiere before my return date window expires (X-mas gift), while I hope a newer update might still show up restoring DTS sync again (like 7.2.2.7146 had).

Mizzata

Sat Jan 07, 2017 1:23 pm

rockou wrote:
Ok thanks for the replies. My wife has been hogging the tv today in this hilarious "blizzard" we are having in Virginia. Got almost 2 inches since last night and they said we were in the 8-12" path. Not complaining as I hate snow but enough with the over hyping stuff already...

Anyways, I'll have to see if mine downgraded itself as well.

I still don't understand why Roku is even putting out 12 bit. Why not just put out 10 bit and leave it at that? For those that do not see banding with 12 bit enabled is that supposedly giving a better picture? If so I'll leave it on that setting. When I get more time on the tv I'll try and compare some Netflix 4k HDR with it on each setting and look more closely for quality details.

12 bit will not improve the picture unless your tv has a 12 bit panel (which virtually no consumer grade displays have) so this nonsense with pushing a 12 bit signal is pretty pointless and causes more issues than it's worth.  

sandra58

Sat Jan 07, 2017 2:45 pm

I've been observing both my Roku Ultra's today and have noticed the 7.5.1 firmware reverts back to 7.2.2 when the boxes slip into sleep mode.  After the screensaver activates is when the change in the firmware occurs.  I disabled both screensaver's about 45 minutes ago and the 7.5.1 firmware is still intact.  Thought this info may help.

jsmiddleton4

Sat Jan 07, 2017 5:43 pm

Tried Screensaver off.  Mine still reverted back to 7.2.2.   ROKU did not connect some dots with this FW update still......

sandra58

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:24 pm

jsmiddleton4 wrote:
Tried Screensaver off.  Mine still reverted back to 7.2.2.   ROKU did not connect some dots with this FW update still......

Mine are doing the same.  Still reverting to 7.2.2 even with screensaver off.  Just not as often.

rockou

Sat Jan 07, 2017 6:51 pm

I finally got on the tv and yep mine had reverted back to 7.2.2 also. Did an update and got 7.5.1 back and also updates to Netflix, Amazon and Hulu.

I wonder if they meant for us to get 7.5.1 again and it accidently keeps reverting back or is it that they don't even mean for us to get 7.5.1 yet but we accidently are getting it.

reddice

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:13 pm

7.2 needs to go into a hole and die. I have so many issues HSN app crashes on startup.

Stupid Roku Premier keeps downgrading after updating to 7.5.1. I am going back to the stick which has the better 7.5.
Charter Spectrum powered by Earthlink.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-138 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premier (2016).
Cats are the best pets.

Elijah_Baley

Sat Jan 07, 2017 7:57 pm

reddice wrote:
7.2 needs to go into a hole and die. I have so many issues HSN app crashes on startup.

Stupid Roku Premier keeps downgrading after updating to 7.5.1. I am going back to the stick which has the better 7.5.

I have found that there are a few apps, Plex is one, that never allow an auto-upgrade (downgrade) if you leave your Roku in the app. Most apps will auto-exit after a time if but Plex and a few others others do not. You do not need to have the app streaming but rather you just need to be in it.

I "think" that Roku has a bug in their current "upgrade" system but they also have not responded to this thread after yesterday's reports of this upgrade/downgrade fiasco started. They are either hiding something, unaware that anything is wrong, uncaring that anything is wrong, unwilling to knowledge another mistake or just getting a good belly laugh from the problems that those of us that want to use 7.5 are having.
Sometimes the squeaking wheel does not get greased but rather it gets more reason to squeak.
Two Roku 3s and a Roku 1 and a Roku Ultra
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.