Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

TPod
Topic Author

Roku not responding to remotes OR phone app

Fri Dec 30, 2016 6:03 pm

I have a Roku3, purchased just a few weeks before the Roku 4 was released, which has been freezing frequently in recent weeks. Today we turned the TV on and the screensaver is running, but the Roku would not register the remote input. We tried re-pairing the devices several times and rebooted the Roku a few times for good measure. Then we opened the Roku app on my Android phone, still with no results. The app recognizes the device as being on our network and is behaving normally, but the Roku is not responding - no indicator light nor any change away from the screensaver. The device is barely a year old, and I can't fathom this being normal. Our previous Roku, one of the 2 line, is still working in our spare room! With no means of communicating with the device, what options do I have to fix this?

crammy

Re: Roku not responding to remotes OR phone app

Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:57 pm

Press the recessed reset button on the back of the unit.

fredneck

Tue Jan 03, 2017 7:49 pm

Can you see the Roku device on your Network? Maybe it is a communication issue from your Router since both the Roku remote and Router share the same WiFi channel. Try rebooting your Router first then your Roku.
Roku is my favorite streamer, mkvXstream.com has my favorite Roku channels

TPod
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2017 6:16 pm

We were hoping to avoid a reset if possible. Also, the device does show on the network and is connected - that's how I connected to it on my phone app. We did try a router reset, to be sure. No dice, but thank you for the idea!

We had a temporary fix by unplugging the device overnight. When it happened again a day or two later we unplugged it for a few hours, and that fixed it again. It seems on the surface like it may be overheating and something stops functioning, but flower if I know! (For reference, it's sitting on our TV stand in front of the TV with no other electronics around it. It doesn't seem like it should have that issue.)