Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Jetboy55
Topic Author

Title name is "Unknown" in Roku Media Player channel

Mon Jan 02, 2017 2:44 pm

I am serving media using a DLNA media server built into my Netgear router. Connected to the router is a 2TB HDD with my home videos on it. The videos are organized using folders. I can access the media server fine and play the videos using Roku Media Player channel. However, all the videos show "Unknown" as the title name when browsing inside Roku Media Player channel. The movie files are h.264 MP4 files that have file names that show what they are. Also I used a meta tagging tool called MetaX to enter the name and year of the videos into their metadata. But still Roku Media Player shows "Unknown" when browsing. Does anyone have any suggestions why I cant get a name to appear when I'm browsing using the Roku 3? Thanks for any help.

atc98092

Re: Title name is "Unknown" in Roku Media Player channel

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:38 am

RMP gets the title from the DLNA server. It does nothing itself to name or get metadata for a file. If you are getting unknown, that's the way it's coming from the server. Do you know what software is providing the DLNA services from your NAS device? Does the NAS device offer a web interface to see what videos are available and the metadata they contain?
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Jetboy55
Topic Author

Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:55 pm

A short investigation suggests that the server software on my Netgear router is called ReadyDLNA, and is a branded version of miniDLNA if that helps. Also, when I connect my hdd directly to my Roku 3 USB port, all the names work fine. I may just use this method for keeping my home videos at the ready instead of using the media server. Either way, it would be great to find a better USB channel for my Roku that supports longer file names and even using the name in the metadata.

atc98092

Tue Jan 03, 2017 6:53 pm

RMP does fine with other brands of DLNA servers. I know for sure that Serviio and Plex (when DLNA is enabled) provide the images and metadata. There's quite a number of other brands. Some can even be installed on some NAS devices. Serviio can be installed on some NAS devices, but I'm not certain which ones. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Jetboy55
Topic Author

Wed Jan 04, 2017 5:42 pm

I have come to understand a little more about how this media server works, and I'm guessing I didn't wait long enough for the software to catalog the new media and add the file names to
the database that it keeps on the drive. At least that's how I understand it. I guess for the future, I should start learning about NAS devices and running media servers on them because eventually I want to rip all my movie discs and have them ready to stream. 1st world problems for sure. Thanks for the help.

atc98092

Wed Jan 04, 2017 7:01 pm

Jetboy55 wrote:
I have come to understand a little more about how this media server works, and I'm guessing I didn't wait long enough for the software to catalog the new media and add the file names to
the database that it keeps on the drive. At least that's how I understand it. I guess for the future, I should start learning about NAS devices and running media servers on them because eventually I want to rip all my movie discs and have them ready to stream. 1st world problems for sure. Thanks for the help.

Yep, I have over 4000 titles on my media server. Since some need transcoding for a Roku, a NAS device doesn't have enough power. But it's great having everything available on the server. The Internet can crash and we still have plenty to entertain us. No rummaging through the discs to decide what to watch, and my Sony BD player passes DTS Master Audio so I get the complete Blu Ray experience. Hopefully Roku will get HD audio passthrough available soon. 
Dan

Arwen

Fri Jan 06, 2017 1:43 pm

Jetboy55 wrote:
I guess for the future, I should start learning about NAS devices and running media servers on them because eventually I want to rip all my movie discs and have them ready to stream. 1st world problems for sure.

I ended up with a dedicated home server. Meaning it's not my router or my wireless access point. It has a 2TB spinning disk and a 1TB flash disk.
At present, it's only using about 1.5TB, with 3,300 videos and 1,100 songs taking up most of the storage. My entire audio CD, video DVD & Blu-ray
are on it. When I moved the videos off my DVDs & Blu-rays, I used Roku friendly h.264 AVC, with AAC + AC-3 audio in a MP4 container. Works
great. No stream time transcoding needed.

Many people with large DVD + Blu-ray collections are starting to use home media servers. Some advice. Determine what software features you
want, that may help decide what hardware will work. (Stream time transcoding requires more horse power than simple file serving...)
Arwen Evenstar
Middle Earth