Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 2:47 pm

Help us help you here. List some titles you've rented that filled the screen, and some that had the bars. Then we can look them up and see what the native aspect ratio is for each. Honestly, we are only offering to help you understand. If this information shows that some providers are altering their streams, that would be good information to know. In this day and age, no provider should be altering their stream's aspect ratio.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
iwantobejohndoe
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:00 am

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:21 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Help us help you here. List some titles you've rented that filled the screen, and some that had the bars. Then we can look them up and see what the native aspect ratio is for each. Honestly, we are only offering to help you understand. If this information shows that some providers are altering their streams, that would be good information to know. In this day and age, no provider should be altering their stream's aspect ratio.


Nope. I dont care if you dont believe me. Watch the bars. If there is something I miss by not having them I doubt it is of much significance. Any Google search will show that most people are annoyed by them. I will just rent from VUDU instead of Fandango Now. No need for your help.
iwantobejohndoe

Roku Premiere+, TCL 40" Dumb TV, Vizio Soundbar, Xfinity Cable TV & Internet, Cheap RCA Universal Remote.

All you need is a positive mental attitude.
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:56 pm

I don't believe I ever said I didn't believe you. I don't use Fandango or Vudu, so can't make the comparison myself. Have a happy day... 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 2590
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:23 pm

atc98092 wrote:
I don't believe I ever said I didn't believe you. I don't use Fandango or Vudu, so can't make the comparison myself. Have a happy day... 

His feature request is to have Roku zoom in videos when it's not 16:9 widescreen format. There's the real Feature Request.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
 
iwantobejohndoe
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:00 am

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:33 pm

trekkeriii wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
I don't believe I ever said I didn't believe you. I don't use Fandango or Vudu, so can't make the comparison myself. Have a happy day... 

His feature request is to have Roku zoom in videos when it's not 16:9 widescreen format. There's the real Feature Request.


When I say "Nerd alert" its about me really. I'm a real stickler for details. Normal people love those black bars but I being a nerd cannot stand them. I want picture filling up my whole screen. Sorry for being such a nerd.
iwantobejohndoe

Roku Premiere+, TCL 40" Dumb TV, Vizio Soundbar, Xfinity Cable TV & Internet, Cheap RCA Universal Remote.

All you need is a positive mental attitude.
 
User avatar
RokuMarkn
Roku Engineering
Posts: 1581
Joined: Mon Jun 09, 2008 9:20 am

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 4:43 pm

It's mathematically impossible to fit a picture into a screen of a different aspect ratio without sacrificing something.  If you don't want the image to be letterboxed or pillarboxed, then the two choices are: the image is cropped, removing part of the original image, or it is stretched, so that circles in the original image are displayed as ellipses (and people become unnaturally tall and skinny or short and fat, etc).  Different video providers may choose one or another of these three options.  Although individuals' preferences may vary, cropping out part of the original image can certainly degrade the experience, since you may be unable to see important parts of the video.  It sounds like that is what you're asking for, but that seems inconsistent with your statement that you're a stickler for details.  Can you clarify which of these options you are asking for?

--Mark
 
SGV_A5
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:31 pm

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 5:36 pm

I actually have a request for the Roku Media Player app...I have movie files that contain multiple languages so that my kids can learn to watch the same movie in different languages we speak at home. Roku plays the movies fine from my USB stick but there's no option of selecting a different audio stream in the player. Can this feature be added? Thanks!
 
iwantobejohndoe
Posts: 37
Joined: Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:00 am

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:31 pm

RokuMarkn wrote:
It's mathematically impossible to fit a picture into a screen of a different aspect ratio without sacrificing something.  If you don't want the image to be letterboxed or pillarboxed, then the two choices are: the image is cropped, removing part of the original image, or it is stretched, so that circles in the original image are displayed as ellipses (and people become unnaturally tall and skinny or short and fat, etc).  Different video providers may choose one or another of these three options.  Although individuals' preferences may vary, cropping out part of the original image can certainly degrade the experience, since you may be unable to see important parts of the video.  It sounds like that is what you're asking for, but that seems inconsistent with your statement that you're a stickler for details.  Can you clarify which of these options you are asking for?

--Mark


I am reminded of people who could never tell the difference between a Coca Cola in a bottle and a McDonalds Coke until someone told them that McDonalds rounds the corners of their ice cubes so bubbles dont pop and makes their straws of just such a circumference so as to make sure you get just so much in a sip and how this makes. McDonalds Coke the very best Coke. Now certain people have become McDonalds Coke connosoirs when they had no idea there was any difference before they were told there was a difference. Everyone watches movies on HBO and Showtime in full screen without any qualms. Most people hate the annoying black bars some streaming services "keep". Then someone tells them its oh so much better that way and some people become connosoirs all of the sudden. Give me a break.
iwantobejohndoe

Roku Premiere+, TCL 40" Dumb TV, Vizio Soundbar, Xfinity Cable TV & Internet, Cheap RCA Universal Remote.

All you need is a positive mental attitude.
 
trekkeriii
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 2590
Joined: Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:10 am

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 6:46 pm

iwantobejohndoe wrote:
RokuMarkn wrote:
It's mathematically impossible to fit a picture into a screen of a different aspect ratio without sacrificing something.  If you don't want the image to be letterboxed or pillarboxed, then the two choices are: the image is cropped, removing part of the original image, or it is stretched, so that circles in the original image are displayed as ellipses (and people become unnaturally tall and skinny or short and fat, etc).  Different video providers may choose one or another of these three options.  Although individuals' preferences may vary, cropping out part of the original image can certainly degrade the experience, since you may be unable to see important parts of the video.  It sounds like that is what you're asking for, but that seems inconsistent with your statement that you're a stickler for details.  Can you clarify which of these options you are asking for?

--Mark


I am reminded of people who could never tell the difference between a Coca Cola in a bottle and a McDonalds Coke until someone told them that McDonalds rounds the corners of their ice cubes so bubbles dont pop and makes their straws of just such a circumference so as to make sure you get just so much in a sip and how this makes. McDonalds Coke the very best Coke. Now certain people have become McDonalds Coke connosoirs when they had no idea there was any difference before they were told there was a difference. Everyone watches movies on HBO and Showtime in full screen without any qualms. Most people hate the annoying black bars some streaming services "keep". Then someone tells them its oh so much better that way and some people become connosoirs all of the sudden. Give me a break.

Buy a TV that does the Zooming for you then. They make TVs that Zoom in and not sacrifice quality. You'll run into this if you have interest in DVDs or BluRays. Vudu does have movies in the widerscreen format. Star Trek Beyond is that way, as well as the rest of the Star Trek movies. Bond movies mostly are.
http://trekkeriii.com/Roku_PHP_list.php
Router - ASUS RT-AC68U
ISP - TWC - 50 Mbps/5 Mbps
Net+ Cert
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:14 pm

SGV_A5 wrote:
I actually have a request for the Roku Media Player app...I have movie files that contain multiple languages so that my kids can learn to watch the same movie in different languages we speak at home. Roku plays the movies fine from my USB stick but there's no option of selecting a different audio stream in the player. Can this feature be added? Thanks!

The Media Player already has that. Press the * button and if there are additional audio tracks recognized you can select them. That won't work with transcoded files, as those almost always have a single audio track.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
JohnBoy1
Posts: 32
Joined: Sun Jan 03, 2016 5:25 am

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:20 pm

Dolby Vison patch...

4k 24/30hz option in the resolution display settings.
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:37 pm

JohnBoy1 wrote:
Dolby Vison patch...

4k 24/30hz option in the resolution display settings.

The only boxes that DV is a possibility would be the Premiere + and Ultra. Unless the box has a DV chip (no Roku does), then it must have sufficient CPU power to run DV in software. Since Roku would have to pay a licensing fee for each box it is installed on, I have serious doubts it will become available. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
alexis
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:12 pm

atc98092 wrote:
SGV_A5 wrote:
I actually have a request for the Roku Media Player app...I have movie files that contain multiple languages so that my kids can learn to watch the same movie in different languages we speak at home. Roku plays the movies fine from my USB stick but there's no option of selecting a different audio stream in the player. Can this feature be added? Thanks!

The Media Player already has that. Press the * button and if there are additional audio tracks recognized you can select them. That won't work with transcoded files, as those almost always have a single audio track.

It does not work on my Roku. I have a movie that has several audio tracks and I can play them all on a computer, but on Roku, when I press '*', it tells me that there are no other audio tracks.
 
alexis
Posts: 3
Joined: Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:09 pm

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:17 pm

Roku Media Player: I find it very inconvenient how the Player scrolls the files. I can see on the screen four file icons in the first row. When I try to go the second file, instead of moving the cursor to the second file the Player scrolls all icons in the first row and the second file is shown first and the first file appears on the right. It creates an illusion that there are more than four icons in the first row and seems to be counter-intuitive.

I would be very happy if you would change the way it scrolls through the files.
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3890
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Feature Requests - First Quarter 2017

Thu Mar 02, 2017 8:24 pm

alexis wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
SGV_A5 wrote:
I actually have a request for the Roku Media Player app...I have movie files that contain multiple languages so that my kids can learn to watch the same movie in different languages we speak at home. Roku plays the movies fine from my USB stick but there's no option of selecting a different audio stream in the player. Can this feature be added? Thanks!

The Media Player already has that. Press the * button and if there are additional audio tracks recognized you can select them. That won't work with transcoded files, as those almost always have a single audio track.

It does not work on my Roku. I have a movie that has several audio tracks and I can play them all on a computer, but on Roku, when I press '*', it tells me that there are no other audio tracks.

Rather than taking space here in this thread, you should probably start a new post about not being able to select multiple audio tracks. Roku Dale might not watch this particular thread.
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 37 guests