Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

blthomas80
Topic Author

Premiere Audio Sync Issues with Amazon and Netflix

Fri Jan 13, 2017 7:14 pm

As suggested, I'm creating a new thread for my audio sync issue.

Received a new Premiere over Christmas. Have observed audio sync issue with both Netflix and Amazon.

Premiere >> Onkyo NR646 >> Vizio TV

Issue is with surround sound (DD+) but stereo is always fine. No issues with Showtime or HBO Go when using DD+. Chatted and completed the unusual (power cycle, remove/add channel, check connections, etc.) and was then told to wait to update to 7.5 and that should fix the issue. Updated to 7.5 and saw that Netflix and Amazon updated as well. Still having the same issue. Emailed support yesterday and started posting to this forum as I saw others are having this issue.

Starting my own thread for Premiere as suggested as I was previously posting in the Roku4 lip sync thread.

haeffb

Re: Premiere Audio Sync Issues with Amazon and Netflix

Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:17 pm

I also have this issue with a Roku Premier, Yamaha AVR and Sharp Aquos 1080p TV.

atc98092

Sun Jan 15, 2017 9:04 pm

This really seems to be Premiere specific. I've tested my 4, Ultra TV and Stick and don't have any audio sync issues. I've tested Amazon and Netflix, as well as my local content via Roku Media Player and Plex with no issues. I occasionally see audio out of sync on YouTube, but I'm more likely to blame the video in that case. Some of the recordings there are just terrible. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

kaneelias

Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:11 pm

I am also having this issue with the Premiere and Netflix.

I changed the sound from Auto to Stereo and the sync issue was gone. I turned auto back on and played the exact same scene back on netflix and the slight delay was there an noticeable.

This is really disappointing as I have two streaming sticks that do not suffer from this.

Dougt

Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:51 pm

I am also having same audio/video sync issues with Roku Premiere. Didn't have with Stick. Have used receiver to try and sync-no luck. Sony av receiver, Samsung TV. Awaiting Roku reply.

Battscrew

Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:42 pm

Same here.
Premiere plus, onkyo 606, Sony Bravia 1080p. Using hdmi 2.0 cable

RokuShawnS
Roku Engineering

Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:18 pm

Please post your Serial Number and Device ID (Settings > System > About) as well as the make/model of your AVR and TV.

Thanks!
C. Shawn Smith
C. Shawn Smith
Community Liaison

------------
The Cosmos is all that is, and all that was, and ever will be. -- Carl Sagan

haeffb

Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:44 am

SN: YT0078698611
DID: 7J9797698611
Software: 7.5.1 - build 4095-29

Yamaha RX-V675
Sharp Aquos LC-60LE640U

Audio sync issue occurs when Audio mode is set to Auto (Dolby D+, DTS) and HDMI is set to Auto and it selects (Dolby D+, DTS). Changing to PCM-Stereo or Dolby D eliminates the audio sync problem but output is only in stereo with those settings.

blthomas80
Topic Author

Wed Jan 18, 2017 9:33 pm

I had separately created an email help ticket and went through the suggested trouble shooting steps again. I was then told that they would replace my unit after I sent it to Roku (policy is that I would have to pay the shipping...not a big deal in the scheme of things...but surprised that I would have to pay the shipping for a defective product).

Been having the problem too long with no help so I'm shipping back to Amazon as a defective unit. I purchased a new Fire TV from Target yesterday...it's working great for what I need it for.

Still have a Roku TV and an old Roku LT which work fine. But I'm done with the Premiere.

home_theatre_man

Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:41 am

Applies to Netflix *Only* - I have no A/V sync issues with Roku Premiere+ (Auto/DD+/YCbCr 4:2:0 10-bit) > Denon AVR-X7200W > LG OLEDB6P.  This is true for 4K23.976, 4K24, 4K29.97, 4K30 (HDR10), 4K59.94, and 4K60 (HDR10).  Tested using Netflix A/V sync test found in their test patterns section.  Note that the Netflix app is now sending BT.2020 color space for all content, including 2K.

Roku Premiere+ running 7.5.1 4095.  Other devices running latest firmware available for direct download.
Last edited by home_theatre_man on Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

absmes

Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:30 am

I am experiencing the same issue with a Roku Premiere+, Denon AVR-3808CI and Sony KDL-52XBR5 television. Audio/Video are out of sync in the Amazon Video (most pronounced) and Netflix (less pronounced) channels. I've convinced myself that HBO Go is also out of sync, but it may not be (or may be very slightly out). I updated the firmware to 7.5, opened a support case with Roku technical support and completed the troubleshooting steps requested. None of the steps, including replacing the HDMI cable, changing the audio settting from DD+ to DD, or connecting the Roku directly to the TV had any impact. I then received an email from Roku technical support stating that my device may be defective and that I should return it for a replacement. I am skeptical that another device will resolve the issue but am awaiting the replacement. Will provide an update after testing. 

home_theatre_man

Fri Jan 20, 2017 12:08 pm

Applies to Amazon *Only* - I have a possible A/V sync issue with Roku Premiere+ (Auto/DD+/YCbCr 4:2:0 10-bit) > Denon AVR-X7200W > LG OLEDB6P.  It is so subtle, if present, that I cannot confirm it is there at all.  This is true for 2K24 and for 4K24 (HDR10).  Tested using Deadwood S2:E8 and The Man in the High Castle S2:E3 and S2:10.  Note that the Amazon app is correctly sending BT.709 color space for 2K SDR and BT.2020 color space for 4K HDR.

Roku Premiere+ running 7.5.1 4095.  Other devices running latest firmware available for direct download.

JMGNYC

Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:20 pm

I'm so disappointed in my Premier+.

First the firmware has been bouncing up and down so it's hard to know what is what.
Second there is an audio sync issue with Amazon.
Third if I change my display to 4K HDR it still doesn't play HDR from Netflix or Amazon, just regular 4K. Then after stopping the video the Roku loses its handshake with the Denon AVR/LG OLED TV and I get a black screen until I restart everything. But but this is just the latest update, it used to give me an HDR picture.
Fourth, when I was getting the HDR stream the banding used to be just horrible on Amazon. Totally unwatchable.

Really, why do I have this box at this point? Problem is I've been waiting so long for the firmware update to shake itself out that it's past my return window.

beachmammoni

Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:10 pm

Same problems as above.

Software version 7.5.1
Build 4095
Roku Premiere

Yamaha RX-V381

Samsung 65KS8000

Hello Roku staff monitoring this forum. Can you offer any suggestions (other than those already posted)? Or, should I just return device? Thanks.

absmes

Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:44 pm

Update on my post from yesterday. I received the replacement Roku Premiere+, plugged it in, updated the firmware and tested Amazon Video. The audio/video out of sync issues persists and appeared even more pronounced, so I've packaged it up for return to Amazon. Fortunately I ordered a Fire TV as well. Plugged it in and tested content from Amazon Video, Netflix and HBO Go without experiencing any sync issues. Given that my TV is "only" capable of 1080p video, I'll stick with the Fire TV for the time being.  I do hope Roku resolves the issue as I prefer its UI and wide variety of channels and would like to return to the product in the future.