Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

totalmackerel

Re: Roku Ultra - Audio Popping and Clicking

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:55 am

Is there any word on when we can expect the next firmware update?  I don't think I can take this audio problem much longer.

netnothing

Thu Apr 13, 2017 10:59 am

totalmackerel wrote:
Is there any word on when we can expect the next firmware update?  I don't think I can take this audio problem much longer.

7.6 is rolling out now on a schedule (older devices getting it first).  I'm hoping it fixes the issue, but there has been no comment if it does.  Don't believe any Ultra has received the firmware yet either, so no user reports yet.
-Kevin

Breadman86

Thu Apr 13, 2017 11:47 am

netnothing wrote:
totalmackerel wrote:

7.6 is rolling out now on a schedule (older devices getting it first).  I'm hoping it fixes the issue, but there has been no comment if it does.  Don't believe any Ultra has received the firmware yet either, so no user reports yet.
-Kevin

Really hoping it gets to my Roku soon... crossing my fingers even harder that it'll both A) Get rid of the chirping/popping noises, and B) Not cause new issues. 

car24jg

Sun Apr 16, 2017 9:59 am

I too have had this problem it is not present with any other component in my audio system.  I can stream with a cheap older Sony BD player without issue.  Shame on ROKU and their horrible tech support for giving people the run a round.  Almost two months ago I went through this whole discussion with tech support.  They left me with "we are working on your problem and we will get back to you".  They never contacted me since. This is the biggest purchase mistake I have ever made with a company who apparently does not care about its reputation.  I guess Apple TV is next, at least they have great tech support.  Roku ultra is a waste of money if you are considering a purchase, DON'T.

Brianmagby

Sun Apr 16, 2017 10:55 am

I contacted Roku service and got the same run around, promising that they would fix it in the next firmware update, and that they would get back to ASAP. Never heard from them again. Last week I switched to Amazon Fire TV Ultra 4K HD. Great picture and PERFECT AUDIO! Roku has lost me as a customer and I will tell everyone I meet to stay away from Roku and go with Amazon Fire TV or other streaming services.

balor1eye

Sun Apr 16, 2017 1:41 pm

I'm fighting the same issue... on top of the known issue playing FLAC files. So frustrating. "Will be fixed in a future firmware update." Do It!

totalmackerel

Sun Apr 16, 2017 6:00 pm

Yeah if this firmware update doesn't fix it I'm switching over to Amazon or some other device and posting all over social media about the problems I've had with Roku's top of the line player not even being able to properly handle 5.1 audio.  Ridiculous.  

jp1

Mon Apr 17, 2017 4:48 am

Same, I purchased the Ultra exclusively for the DD+ decoding via optical, however all the audio popping is making me quite nervous with my expensive speaker set. I have owned almost every iteration of Roku, but this is just unacceptable. Not to mention all the problems with the remote not pairing properly and the unit freezing. My Roku 3 (previous gen) is still rock solid, but the 4 was riddled with problems (it's one of the few I skipped). 

Roku really needs to get their act together for the top of the line units, competition is getting tougher for the aging king.

totalmackerel

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:22 am

Firmware on my Ultra updated to 7.6.  Put on Hulu.  Same problem.  Almost seemed a little worse :(

home_theatre_man

Fri Apr 21, 2017 8:47 am

Still experiencing periodic audio hiccups/dropouts for bitstream audio output.  Build 7.6 does not seem to have had any effect.

dustinr26

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:01 pm

Just upgraded my Ultra to 7.6 and chirping issue is still there. I'm kinda pissed it didn't fix it and they have been dead silent it seems.

netnothing

Fri Apr 21, 2017 12:02 pm

Yup, still had the chirps watching 2 Hulu shows today.

-Kevin

eeichhorn

Sun Apr 23, 2017 4:51 pm

Audio pops and chirps are still present for me as well.
Onkyo TX-NR757 in 5.1 with the roku ultra hooked directly to the reciever.
This is getting frustrating...

jdelacruz3

Sun Apr 23, 2017 5:47 pm

Chirps & pops still present. At this point, Roku needs to issue a recall and full refund. True waste of money! I'm boycotting all Roku products, effective immediately!

dmitch77

Sun Apr 23, 2017 6:46 pm

Ultra, updated to 7.6.0 build 4113. Audio chirps still present. Thanks Roku, Well done. I'll never buy another of your products.