Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

neb1373

Re: Roku Ultra - Audio Popping and Clicking

Tue May 09, 2017 8:18 pm

Haha, you are correct my friend! flower, seems like it minimized but there none the less. Audio just went out completely, don't feel like rebooting, switching to the Xbox for the evening. I'll probably RMA this one to make Roku happy then get belligerent and hopefully get a refund then Amazon!

kliptick

Wed May 10, 2017 4:43 am

I am giving up on my Roku Ultra and will be getting a Nvidia Shield with my next paycheck.  The Shield will be for the theater and the Ultra will be moved to the bedroom to basically collect dust.  I will check it every once in a while when watching TV in bed but will not really be used.  I have been telling everybody I know about my experience with Roku and have been slamming them on every website I can find.  I will continue to do so too.  It has been WAY too long with no fix and virtually no communication on a fix.  Roku needs to learn how to do some real testing before releasing a product and to communicate with their customers on a fix.  The release of 7.6 did absolutely nothing and actually made my Ultra worse.  Hopefully the Nvidia Shield works as it is supposed to.  Roku is an absolute joke and if they really want to do right by their customers they should do a recall and/or refund for the customers with the Ultra and the Premier.  Thanks for nothing Roku!  Your product sucks the suckiest suck that ever sucked!

onetrack97

Wed May 10, 2017 5:09 am

I call Roku Support yesterday.  The agent said that he had never heard of the problem.  

Have you guys all been calling the support line?  I couldn't get chat or the email widget to work.

The guy asked me about my HDMI cable and said that he would escalate the issue.  Not expecting much from them.

netnothing

Wed May 10, 2017 5:13 am

onetrack97 wrote:
I call Roku Support yesterday.  The agent said that he had never heard of the problem.  

Have you guys all been calling the support line?  I couldn't get chat or the email widget to work.

The guy asked me about my HDMI cable and said that he would escalate the issue.  Not expecting much from them.

Roku has admitted on these forums they are aware of the issue. Callling support, especially tier 1 will be nothing but a waste of time.

-Kevin

totalmackerel

Wed May 10, 2017 7:35 am

netnothing wrote:
Roku has admitted on these forums they are aware of the issue. Callling support, especially tier 1 will be nothing but a waste of time.

-Kevin

And still nothing :(

neb1373

Sat May 13, 2017 3:31 am

919-323-3030

How about the power supply? I had it on a monster supply then switched to a cheap Wally for 2 extra plugs and it seemed worse. I may try that when I get mine back if I don't get shut down. Anyone process and receive a refund thru Roku? I'm past my 7 day Walmart return by 4 months.

onetrack97

Sat May 13, 2017 5:39 am

netnothing wrote:
onetrack97 wrote:

-Kevin

I believe you.
I did change cables just to make sure I had the best out of my box.  I realize that the audio spec for HDMI hasn't changed in a long time but perhaps the copy protection is the issue.  I'm not running any 4k content.
A couple of days after my call, I noticed the the Roku HDMI audio output can had jumped a lot going into my AVR.  Like perhaps 15 - 18 dB.
I couldn't tell if they had pushed that to my Ultra since I hadn't recorded the previous SW version.  I've only watched a couple of hours so far but haven't heard the pops yet.

jp1

Sat May 13, 2017 8:23 am

Roku team, any intention of ever jumping in here and informing us paying customers if you ever intend to actually work on this problem? I'm sorry, but this is the worst customer service I have ever dealt with. You obviously can recreate the problem, it isn't something small or nebulous...it seems like you simply don't care. I requested directly that a rep contact me on these boards and never received a pm. 

I have been sold a faulty piece of equipment as punishment for purchasing your flagship product, as have all these other folks. My patience is growing ever thin with this complete lack of concern and obvious dismissive attitude toward your customers.

Perhaps we need to take to social media to get this problem fixed. Or contact the writers of some prominent tech sites so they can write a consumer awareness article? Since you clearly don't care what is reported right here on your own forum.

atc98092

Sat May 13, 2017 3:33 pm

Right or wrong, Roku has a policy to rarely respond on the forum about issues that are being worked. Personally, I do wish they could be a bit more open about what's being worked on.
As a beta tester, sometimes I don't even know specifically what I'm testing, other than just looking for issues. I can't say (because I don't know) what they are currently working on, but I do know that the tech staff take these complaints seriously. Since I never experienced the audio issues reported by others, I never really paid attention to that in the beta forum. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

Baldrekr

Sat May 13, 2017 7:08 pm

It's been 4 months since the audio popping bug was introduced.  What is the holdup?  Do they not have a repro, or is it just a really low priority bug on their list of things to fix?

Breadman86

Tue May 16, 2017 10:23 am

Baldrekr wrote:
It's been 4 months since the audio popping bug was introduced.  What is the holdup?  Do they not have a repro, or is it just a really low priority bug on their list of things to fix?

Very good question. I mentioned the problem on twitter a few weeks ago and they DMd me and I gave info and they opened a ticket,  but still nothing. Audio pops really didn't start until sometime in January and I bought the device last November. 

soulrider4ever

Tue May 16, 2017 5:32 pm

I'm also getting the click/pops using 4k and DD+ using an Ultra.

jdelacruz3

Wed May 17, 2017 3:43 am

After months of dealing with this issue here is the response I receiveed yesterday (5/16/2017) from the so called Roku "technical support":

"Thank you for contacting Roku Customer Support.
I apologize for the delay in response and inconvenience caused to you.

I understand you are still facing audio issue with the Roku device.
We have escalated this case and our team is working on it. Kindly wait for further update.

Thank you for providing us with an opportunity to assist you and thank you for choosing Roku".

Regards,
Anisha
Roku Customer Support

It appears that they have no clue on how to proceed with resolving this issue. Also, this email was in response to a return/exchange request that I initiated online on their website. I have shared this with all my colleagues at work and believe me, they will never by Roku products in the future. Same here. This is not how you treat your customers. SHAME ON YOU Roku!!!

onetrack97

Wed May 17, 2017 4:17 am

onetrack97 wrote:
netnothing wrote:
onetrack97 wrote:

-Kevin

I believe you.
I did change cables just to make sure I had the best out of my box.  I realize that the audio spec for HDMI hasn't changed in a long time but perhaps the copy protection is the issue.  I'm not running any 4k content.
A couple of days after my call, I noticed the the Roku HDMI audio output can had jumped a lot going into my AVR.  Like perhaps 15 - 18 dB.
I couldn't tell if they had pushed that to my Ultra since I hadn't recorded the previous SW version.  I've only watched a couple of hours so far but haven't heard the pops yet.

Now I've got 5 - 6 hours of Amazon Prime play time and I have not heard any pops.  So, their fix may have been to max the output level and possibly forced some kind of surround sound limitation?  Having one source so much higher than the rest has played some havoc.  I set that input to -6 dB and the others to +6 dB to make them closer.
Any other explanation for the gain change?

netnothing

Wed May 17, 2017 4:21 am

onetrack97 wrote:

Now I've got 5 - 6 hours of Amazon Prime play time and I have not heard any pops.  So, their fix may have been to max the output level and possibly forced some kind of surround sound limitation?  Having one source so much higher than the rest has played some havoc.  I set that input to -6 dB and the others to +6 dB to make them closer.
Any other explanation for the gain change?

I'm seeing gains all over the place.  In fact even from movie to movie in Vudu.  Wife and I watched both Exotic Marigold hotel movies this past weekend in Vudu.  First movie was still high in that instead of our usual -30dB range, we had to have it in the -40dB range.  The second movie was awful.  We had to turn the AVR down to -50dB or more and we still had distortion.  Yet, playing something in Netflix last night seemed normal.
I still get the chirps no matter what the gain levels are.  Still completely random.
-Kevin