Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11
 
User avatar
reddice
Topic Author
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:23 pm

 If this annoying offensive feature does not give us a option to turn off I am done with NF for good.  My PS4 got this feature and while I was browsing it would start to play with audio and dialog.  One trailer has the word a** okay but another said s*it.  One might even had the f word in it of course this was all NF orignal garbage playing without my permission.  Okay NF I have zero interest in 90% of originals only kids originals.  Bad enough you have to shove this mature garbage in my face but to start to play without my permission I can't even browse now.  What I have to mute my TV sorry but I don't' think so.  I will mute NF and stick with Hulu which is getting better everyday.

So far my Roku and FTV 2nd gen box does not have this annoyance but if they do I am done if I can't turn it off.
Last edited by reddice on Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
 
Buzzsaw
Posts: 78
Joined: Tue Oct 11, 2016 1:11 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto play when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:33 pm

very simple to turn the auto play feature on or off from the "My Account" webpage on your browser after you sign in to your Netflix account on your web browser...NOT from ROKU or another device like PS4
Roku Ultra
Samsung UN65JS8500 (4K/HDR)
DirecTV HR54-500
Yamaha RX-A770 Aventage AVR

Room 2:
Sony KD43X720E
ROKU 4
Yamaha RX-V679 AVR
 
User avatar
23rdDjin
Posts: 134
Joined: Wed Apr 24, 2013 11:07 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto play when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:29 pm

seems you've been on this forum long enough to know that what i am about to state is obvious to you:

ROKU is not the developer of the NETFLIX app nor UI.  
if you are wishing to complain, take it to Netflix.
if you wish to drop Netflix, as you have stated before, then just do so already.
__________________

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto play when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:55 am

I think that he's talking about the new preview feature which starts a promo running in the top of the the main browser if you pause for a couple of seconds on a title. Most of the time it plays some annoying, often mediocre and unrelated music in the background, but sometimes there is dialog. It cannot be disabled. It's only on a few of my devices so far and not the ones that I use for Netflix (Roku 3, Xbox One and Xbox 360 but not my TiVo, TV or Roku Premiere+), but I'm sure that's only temporary.

I have to agree with reddice on this one; the least they could do is make sure that preview clips which contain dialog are free of profanity. It doesn't bother me personally but it's hardly family friendly.
 
User avatar
reddice
Topic Author
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto play when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:58 am

Thank you Mike we agree on something.  Also some were pretty violent too.  One show someone being stabbed with blood.  Another had people with guns to there head.  Maybe when they push this annoyance to everyone as only a few selected only my PS4 has it which I refuse now to use for NF it will get more attention.  As I said the violence, profanity of course came from NF own original production garbage.  The licensed content is mostly harmless just annoying PD music.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
 
andyross
Posts: 229
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2016 7:03 am

Re: Netflix new annoying auto play when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 7:58 am

For lack of a better description, lets start calling it 'Auto-Preview'. Sometimes it's just generic music and vid clips. For others, it's a true trailer. Whether a device supports it may depend on it processing power and if it's using the absolutely latest Netflix UI, as the previous version looks almost identical.

'Auto-Start' is when you go full screen on a title or episode and it starts playing.

'Auto-Play' is for a series will it will automatically play the next episode when one finishes. This is the only one you can disable under your account settings. It still shrinks to a tiny window with the next episode selected, but will just stop if you do nothing.
 
User avatar
reddice
Topic Author
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto start when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 12:23 pm

Updated title to auto preview.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
 
User avatar
atc98092
Posts: 3882
Joined: Tue Dec 31, 2013 5:09 pm
Location: Auburn, WA

Re: Netflix new annoying auto play when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:03 pm

Buzzsaw wrote:
very simple to turn the auto play feature on or off from the "My Account" webpage on your browser after you sign in to your Netflix account on your web browser...NOT from ROKU or another device like PS4

Nope, what you are referring to is for series to auto-play the next episode when one ends. What is being referred to here is the latest Netflix user interface beginning to play a video as a preview in the upper portion of the screen while it is highlighted. You don't have to select the video for the preview to begin. And it's annoying as all get out...
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.
 
User avatar
reddice
Topic Author
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto play when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 3:39 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Nope, what you are referring to is for series to auto-play the next episode when one ends. What is being referred to here is the latest Netflix user interface beginning to play a video as a preview in the upper portion of the screen while it is highlighted. You don't have to select the video for the preview to begin. And it's annoying as all get out...

I agree especially the originals which have dialog and are not so clean.  Like those movie trailers online that start with a red screen instead of green screen difference is you have to play them.  NF better start getting complaints for this lack of decency.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sun Jan 29, 2017 6:33 pm

Usually when I'm browsing I fairly rapidly scroll through listed titles, stopping when a title and/or poster art catches my eye.  I don't otherwise pause for long enough for the preview to start.   Yesterday I was watching Netflix in the living room on my Roku 3 which has the feature and got up to get something for the kitchen with Star Trek: Enterprise selected.  The music was so bad I rushed back to get rid of it.
 
Emissary35
Posts: 233
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 7:29 am

Netflix continues to design more and more annoyances into their app while at the same time never providing the customer the choice of being able to turn it off in the account settings.  It is their arrogance that 'their research' thinks everyone wants to experience Netflix in the same way.  The auto preview is beyond annoying, you can't even stop on a title for more than a second without a video playing with terrible generic music playing that has nothing to do with what you selected.  Unless it's a Netflix Original then they take the time to include audio from the video but that is still annoying.

Then of course when you select a title you can't even read the description without it starting to play in the background before you press the play button, after a few seconds the description dissolves and now the video is playing even though all you wanted to do was read what it was about.  Then at the end the continued shrinking of the credits and pushing them off to the side like they don't matter.  Out of all of these annoyances none of them come with an option to simply shut it of and it's ridiculous.  For the people on here saying Roku doesn't write the channel complain to Netflix, well good luck with that because I've been complaining about these things directly to customer support for a long time now and NOTHING has changed.  I suppose the more complaints they get the more likely they are to stop this but I wouldn't count on it.

Netflix is concerned with one thing, forcing THEIR viewing experience on YOU!  And you are supposed to take it, there is no thought to the user being able to disable features and customize settings to the way that they want to watch.  It's arrogant, it's stupid and ultimately it will cost them subscribers, but not enough to do anything about it because most people still put up with this nonsense and don't complain.  It would be great if Netflix would be open minded and listen to what their customers want, nobody said designing features like this is a bad thing, it's only bad if you force it and DON'T allow us to turn it OFF!  Something Netflix refuses to understand.
 
huskerbear
Posts: 125
Joined: Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:57 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:07 am

Emissary35 wrote:
Netflix continues to design more and more annoyances into their app while at the same time never providing the customer the choice of being able to turn it off in the account settings.  It is their arrogance that 'their research' thinks everyone wants to experience Netflix in the same way.  The auto preview is beyond annoying, you can't even stop on a title for more than a second without a video playing with terrible generic music playing that has nothing to do with what you selected.  Unless it's a Netflix Original then they take the time to include audio from the video but that is still annoying.

Then of course when you select a title you can't even read the description without it starting to play in the background before you press the play button, after a few seconds the description dissolves and now the video is playing even though all you wanted to do was read what it was about.  Then at the end the continued shrinking of the credits and pushing them off to the side like they don't matter.  Out of all of these annoyances none of them come with an option to simply shut it of and it's ridiculous.  For the people on here saying Roku doesn't write the channel complain to Netflix, well good luck with that because I've been complaining about these things directly to customer support for a long time now and NOTHING has changed.  I suppose the more complaints they get the more likely they are to stop this but I wouldn't count on it.

Netflix is concerned with one thing, forcing THEIR viewing experience on YOU!  And you are supposed to take it, there is no thought to the user being able to disable features and customize settings to the way that they want to watch.  It's arrogant, it's stupid and ultimately it will cost them subscribers, but not enough to do anything about it because most people still put up with this nonsense and don't complain.  It would be great if Netflix would be open minded and listen to what their customers want, nobody said designing features like this is a bad thing, it's only bad if you force it and DON'T allow us to turn it OFF!  Something Netflix refuses to understand"






This is what I can't stand...
 
User avatar
reddice
Topic Author
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 8:14 am

Don't even bother leaving feedback.  Matter of fact I stopped leaving feedback for any company they just ignore them and do whatever they want. 

Examples are:
Google still won't give you a option to sort by Artist, Title.  They even removed the ability to get rid of albums and songs not interested. 
Apple still has no web player.

However NF goes to far making there own original content auto previewing with trailers that have profanity and violence.  I refuse to use my PS4 for NF now and I know my Roku will get this soon too but once it comes to the Fire TV 2nd gen box I will cancel them if they don't let you turn this off.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
 
User avatar
mikeyts
Posts: 2146
Joined: Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:59 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 9:45 am

I played with Auto Preview on Xbone S yesterday, stopping and looking at previews regardless of my interest and I did run across some profanity, both the f-word and the s-word, not bleeped out and even written in captions.  That's just wrong.  As for violence, many titles are all about violence (like Daredevil or the movie Black Hawk Down) so I'm not sure how you could create a useful preview which didn't show some.  (I hadn't notice that it's only the "Netflix Original" content which has dialog in the previews.  You'd think that they could use TV promos for shows and movies which had them, which is probably the majority.  It must be that it would require more licensing than they're willing to deal with).

Netflix is going to do what Netflix is going to do.  If they come up with a new feature which they think will enhance customer retention they will deploy it in the UI.  As long they get more new subscribers every month than people dropping the service they're happy.
 
User avatar
reddice
Topic Author
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Mon Jan 30, 2017 12:30 pm

Looks like once this annoyance gets pushed to my Roku and Fire TV I will drop Netflix.  Unless some people like me complain especially parents with young ones or those who hate this garbage NF will give us a option to turn it off then I can resubscribe.  Pushing MA rated garbage I have no interest is one thing but auto playing offensive trailers is the last straw if I can't turn this off.

so I'm not sure how you could create a useful preview which didn't show some

The MPAA can do so those are the ones that start with a green screen.  The ones online some have the red screen which is the uncensored trailer.  NF has no decency to even create a green screen version.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
  • 1
  • 2
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 11

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 24 guests