Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 11
 
Emissary35
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Sun Aug 06, 2017 1:15 pm

BooBlah wrote:
I just complained online to Netflix about auto preview.  My issue is the interface is so slow with this feature on my Roku 3.  Netflix Chat response below, so everyone should complain to Netflix support about this feature.

Thank you very much for your feedback. For the time being we don't have the feature to disable this auto preview in no way as its a random experience, so you may find it sometimes you open the app and some others you won't, but the good news is that we're looking into the possibility of removing this feature for good based on customers' feedback. So your voice is definitely being heard and helps us move towards the right direction. We weren't aware the auto preview was causing this issue, but thanks to you we'll now be aware of it. Thank you very much for your feedback, we'll be working on it.

They said the same thing before about the shrinking credits too and they never give us an option to stop the app from doing that, don't hold your breath for an option to stop auto previews or for Netflix to remove it entirely. My guess is the next annoying feature to make the user experience even more miserable is already being developed by the dopes that are in charge and will be implemented soon.
 
8traxrule
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:54 am

Sounds like Netflix is working on dumbing itself down even more to please those with short attention spans- they're now coding the BEGINNING of material for credits to skip:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/m ... ssic-films

This doesn't seem too bad if it's optional, and I haven't seen any pictures of it in action but it sounds like it'll force a "SKIP INTRO" button onto the screen during movies that have opening credits. Like the shrunken credits, that's unacceptable and needs to have an Off setting for people who actually want to watch everything all the way through (the example given in the article mentions being able to skip that boring flying feather at the beginning of Forrest Gump and get right to where they start talking.) Just more reason to keep my older Roku that doesn't do any of this nonsense and not bother with any new Roku models. The ironic thing is Netflix is now offering 4K on newer models with an extra charge for it of course- if someone is going to buy new equipment and pay more for better picture quality, they likely want the material left the heck alone. Those who want to skip through everything are likely happy with the lowest resolution available.
 
Emissary35
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:08 am

8traxrule wrote:
Sounds like Netflix is working on dumbing itself down even more to please those with short attention spans- they're now coding the BEGINNING of material for credits to skip:
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2017/m ... ssic-films

This doesn't seem too bad if it's optional, and I haven't seen any pictures of it in action but it sounds like it'll force a "SKIP INTRO" button onto the screen during movies that have opening credits. Like the shrunken credits, that's unacceptable and needs to have an Off setting for people who actually want to watch everything all the way through (the example given in the article mentions being able to skip that boring flying feather at the beginning of Forrest Gump and get right to where they start talking.) Just more reason to keep my older Roku that doesn't do any of this nonsense and not bother with any new Roku models. The ironic thing is Netflix is now offering 4K on newer models with an extra charge for it of course- if someone is going to buy new equipment and pay more for better picture quality, they likely want the material left the heck alone. Those who want to skip through everything are likely happy with the lowest resolution available.

This is another reason Netflix plain sucks! I've already seen this before on the Netflix website when watching episodes of TV shows. A "Skip Recap" button will appear on the screen for any episode that has a recap of events from previous episodes and there is no way to shut this off. It will be the same things for movies too, the skip option will pop on your screen and you'll have to deal with it being there until it disappears. Of course Netflix WILL NOT create an option to turn the feature off, they are total jerks who have no respect for cinema or an uninterrupted viewing experience. They LOVE forcing these terrible annoyances that you can't shut off and you can complain to customer service until you are blue in the face and it will have no impact at all. It's best to just cancel.
 
8traxrule
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:25 am

There's actually an add-on for Firefox browsers that will customize Netflix pretty well- you can get rid of the credit-shrinking and when a show actually is over you can even have it not show the details of the next episode which often spoil things. But the quality still isn't as good on a computer even hooked to a TV as it is on a Roku, mainly it won't pass 5.1 sound. The Netflix app for my laptop will pass 5.1 sound but it still shows a banner over end credits; the Roku 2 XD is still the best way to watch Netflix even if the interface when looking for stuff is a bit primitive.
 
Emissary35
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:09 am

8traxrule wrote:
There's actually an add-on for Firefox browsers that will customize Netflix pretty well- you can get rid of the credit-shrinking and when a show actually is over you can even have it not show the details of the next episode which often spoil things. But the quality still isn't as good on a computer even hooked to a TV as it is on a Roku, mainly it won't pass 5.1 sound. The Netflix app for my laptop will pass 5.1 sound but it still shows a banner over end credits; the Roku 2 XD is still the best way to watch Netflix even if the interface when looking for stuff is a bit primitive.

I'll take a completely primitive looking app any day as long as I can watch every video from beginning to end without any interference from the app on my screen. Nothing wrong with the old interface, all you need is the cover art and descriptions to decide what you want to watch. Not annoying auto play or auto previews starting in the background as soon as you stop clicking buttons. But Netflix is designing all of these features to cater to the attention deficit society infested by millennials who don't care about an uninterrupted viewing experience, mainly because they only half pay attention to the videos while they click away on their cell phone screens in front of their faces like zombies. Because of that mentality people that just want to enjoy a movie the normal way are denied the simple basic experience of no interruptions. Having those features are fine, but Netflix absolutely refuses to make them optional, they love forcing their annoyances on 100 percent of their customers even if some hate it, which is why I have no respect for the company.
 
mrusse
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:54 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:01 pm

I just called Netflix. Once they verified there is no way to turn off the annoying preview noise, I logged a formal complaint. Maybe if everyone does this, Netflix will create an update to fix the problem soon. Their customer service number is 1-866-579-7172.
 
MrDifficult
Posts: 74
Joined: Sat Nov 18, 2017 12:54 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Fri Dec 01, 2017 10:56 pm

mrusse wrote:
I just called Netflix.  Once they verified there is no way to turn off the annoying preview noise, I logged a formal complaint.  Maybe if everyone does this, Netflix will create an update to fix the problem soon. Their customer service number is 1-866-579-7172.

Necro much?
 
mc510
Posts: 110
Joined: Thu Jan 09, 2014 5:30 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Tue Jan 02, 2018 10:12 pm

I guess the one benefit of still using a 2XS is that Netflix doesn't do auto-preview. I've actually deferred plans to upgrade to a newer device (either Roku or Fire) because I really don't want the horrible auto-preview feature to be imposed on my kids' viewing. Or mine for that matter.
 
Emissary35
Posts: 231
Joined: Mon May 06, 2013 1:01 am

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:56 am

mc510 wrote:
I guess the one benefit of still using a 2XS is that Netflix doesn't do auto-preview. I've actually deferred plans to upgrade to a newer device (either Roku or Fire) because I really don't want the horrible auto-preview feature to be imposed on my kids' viewing. Or mine for that matter.

It's so sad when customers do not want to upgrade to better devices because it means being saddled with a horrible app that Netflix has designed. People that work for Roku read these threads and you'd think they'd take notice of these complaints and contact Netflix on our behalf to push for options to turn these annoyances off because it will potentially stop some customers from buying new Rokus. But all you'll get from Roku is "Netflix writes the channel complain to them" and all you'll get from Netflix is "we'll send in your feedback because your viewing experience is important to us" and nothing ever changes
I really wish someone out there with the knowledge and ability would take the time to create a very basic and simple Netflix channel that we could use to bypass the official channel. One that does two simple things, let's us browse titles and play videos with no interference just like the old Netflix app did still does on older Roku models. Netflix is never going to make any of these annoying features optional, they will continue to ignore complaints and going forward embed even more pop up/skip type features over videos until eventually the interruptions will be just as nauseating as watching cable TV channels.
 
twiceover
Posts: 1175
Joined: Wed Dec 11, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 6:57 am

Emissary35 wrote:
mc510 wrote:
I guess the one benefit of still using a 2XS is that Netflix doesn't do auto-preview. I've actually deferred plans to upgrade to a newer device (either Roku or Fire) because I really don't want the horrible auto-preview feature to be imposed on my kids' viewing. Or mine for that matter.

It's so sad when customers do not want to upgrade to better devices because it means being saddled with a horrible app that Netflix has designed. People that work for Roku read these threads and you'd think they'd take notice of these complaints and contact Netflix on our behalf to push for options to turn these annoyances off because it will potentially stop some customers from buying new Rokus. But all you'll get from Roku is "Netflix writes the channel complain to them" and all you'll get from Netflix is "we'll send in your feedback because your viewing experience is important to us" and nothing ever changes
I really wish someone out there with the knowledge and ability would take the time to create a very basic and simple Netflix channel that we could use to bypass the official channel. One that does two simple things, let's us browse titles and play videos with no interference just like the old Netflix app did still does on older Roku models. Netflix is never going to make any of these annoying features optional, they will continue to ignore complaints and going forward embed even more pop up/skip type features over videos until eventually the interruptions will be just as nauseating as watching cable TV channels.

Unfortunately Netflix pulled their API so people can't just "create" a new Netflix app.  I personally don't mind anything that is being complained about here, but I do get that it might annoy some people.
 
mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 4967
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 12:52 am

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:31 pm

Emissary35 wrote:
mc510 wrote:
I guess the one benefit of still using a 2XS is that Netflix doesn't do auto-preview. I've actually deferred plans to upgrade to a newer device (either Roku or Fire) because I really don't want the horrible auto-preview feature to be imposed on my kids' viewing. Or mine for that matter.

It's so sad when customers do not want to upgrade to better devices because it means being saddled with a horrible app that Netflix has designed. People that work for Roku read these threads and you'd think they'd take notice of these complaints and contact Netflix on our behalf to push for options to turn these annoyances off because it will potentially stop some customers from buying new Rokus. But all you'll get from Roku is "Netflix writes the channel complain to them" and all you'll get from Netflix is "we'll send in your feedback because your viewing experience is important to us" and nothing ever changes
I really wish someone out there with the knowledge and ability would take the time to create a very basic and simple Netflix channel that we could use to bypass the official channel. One that does two simple things, let's us browse titles and play videos with no interference just like the old Netflix app did still does on older Roku models. Netflix is never going to make any of these annoying features optional, they will continue to ignore complaints and going forward embed even more pop up/skip type features over videos until eventually the interruptions will be just as nauseating as watching cable TV channels.

Vote with your dollars. If it's a big deal to you, cancel the service. It's just one of many entertainment options. 

Roku doesn't have any sway with Netflix in this regard. They're the content provider and channel designer, they want it to operate in one specific way on most platforms. 
 
User avatar
reddice
Topic Author
Posts: 810
Joined: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:47 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:18 pm

mrusse wrote:
I just called Netflix.  Once they verified there is no way to turn off the annoying preview noise, I logged a formal complaint.  Maybe if everyone does this, Netflix will create an update to fix the problem soon. Their customer service number is 1-866-579-7172.

Netflix listens to zero feedback.  Really I would not be surprised if they decide allow auto play of next episode again with no way of disabling it or worse when you watch a licensed show at the end when the credits start to roll it will automatically start to play a random Netflix original (right now it does that with movies, just plays the trailer though) again no way to turn it off.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.
 
Simon_Templar
Posts: 14
Joined: Thu Dec 07, 2017 9:32 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:18 pm

Thank you for the telephone number for Netflix Customer Service, I just called them and logged a complaint.  Funny enough, the representative stated he hates that feature, too.  Go figure.
 
Crow550
** Valued Community Member **
Posts: 2154
Joined: Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:36 am

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 5:21 pm

Should also try complaining on Netflix's Reddit page too. 
 
8traxrule
Posts: 213
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2014 3:59 pm

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:37 pm

Netflix doesn’t read Reddit, and their phone line is in another state likely run by another company. Meanwhile Roku’s offices are in the same building as Netflix, they’re just a stone’s throw away from each other. I would’ve bought a new 4K Roku if it had a non-annoying Netflix interface, but I’m sticking with the old XD instead.

It’s amazing that Netflix could become so awful after conquering the market- I was happy when they put Blockbuster out of business since that was a backwards thinking company and Netflix did most things right. This interface shows that founder Reed Hastings is NOT a true movie fan though and has no concept of a respectful presentation.
  • 1
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 8
  • 9
  • 11

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests