Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

atc98092

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:14 am

blackhawk350z wrote:
You can turn off Netflix’s “auto-preview” feature by going to your settings on Netflix.com, and turning off “Test participation.”

Nope, that has nothing to do with the auto-preview. 
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

drjekel_mrhyde

Re: Netflix new annoying auto preview when browsing will make me cancel for good.

Fri Feb 16, 2018 9:31 am

blackhawk350z wrote:
You can turn off Netflix’s “auto-preview” feature by going to your settings on Netflix.com, and turning off “Test participation.”

It has got worse. I watched that Copperfield movie and right after it starts playing Altered Carbon. The problem is that I already watched AC a few days before.

Emissary35

Fri Feb 16, 2018 5:22 pm

drjekel_mrhyde wrote:
blackhawk350z wrote:

It has got worse. I watched that Copperfield movie and right after it starts playing Altered Carbon. The problem is that I already watched AC a few days before.

It's Netflix's mission to shove more programming in your face the millisecond the current video reaches the end credits without giving you a chance to breathe, without giving the user any ability to stop suggestions at the end of videos or turning off the auto preview when scrolling. The app is completely nauseating and Netflix ignores all complaints from people that are unhappy with it, they just want videos playing nonstop on your screen whether you like it or not.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:59 am

Emissary35 wrote:
drjekel_mrhyde wrote:
blackhawk350z wrote:

It's Netflix's mission to shove more programming in your face the millisecond the current video reaches the end credits without giving you a chance to breathe, without giving the user any ability to stop suggestions at the end of videos or turning off the auto preview when scrolling. The app is completely nauseating and Netflix ignores all complaints from people that are unhappy with it, they just want videos playing nonstop on your screen whether you like it or not.

Have you quit Netflix yet?

reddice
Topic Author

Sun Feb 18, 2018 10:15 am

Emissary35 wrote:
drjekel_mrhyde wrote:
blackhawk350z wrote:

I agree.  My new young neighbors watch Netflix and use a old Roku with the old interface just so they don't have to deal with the annoying auto play video.  So yes many even young people hate this feature but NF ignores all feedback and they do whatever they want.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

Heyitsrick

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:10 pm

reddice wrote:
Emissary35 wrote:
drjekel_mrhyde wrote:
blackhawk350z wrote:

I agree.  My new young neighbors watch Netflix and use a old Roku with the old interface just so they don't have to deal with the annoying auto play video.  So yes many even young people hate this feature but NF ignores all feedback and they do whatever they want.

I guess it boils down to "what's the point of complaining here about it?", unless only to find solidarity with no means of achieving an end.  I feel the pain...not a fan of the auto-previews, either. But it just seems like "I'm going to leave if this keeps up" comments are words to nowhere in the end. Wrong venue.

ewsjr

Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:48 pm

Totally agree that watching the credits is part of the whole movie experience. Most of the time it's listening to the music but some of it is that it's a nice time to chat with friends about the film and check out certain credits. In college, my friends and I always had to see who the caterer was for the film. And as I got older and started taking my nieces and nephews to the movies I came up with a cute game to play where we would try and see if we could spot the first name for everyone in our family (and with more than 30 people in the family and even with the larger credit roles, we still haven't seen every name). We still do this when we go to see movies as a family during the holidays. People who don't like credit watching need to experience an old Hollywood tradition of the roadshow presentation (will never happen again these days but they can look it up and see what they are missing) and they probably haven't seen the REAL endings for films like Plains,Trains and Automobiles, Ferris Beuller, The Grey and Kung Pow Enter the Fist. We didn't refer to them as stingers. We just enjoyed the little “reward” we got after watching the credits. And I wish Netflix would nuke their shitty Auto Start or whatever they call it. I mute my display while browsing because it so obnoxious.

reddice
Topic Author

Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:08 am

I use to pick on the young people but for my neighbors who have a good amount of money to use a older Roku just so it does not autoplay or interrupt the credits means this feature is very unpopular.  But Netflix just ignores any feedback just like Google.  Maybe they should merge they are a perfect couple.
Charter Spectrum.
My Router: Netgear R7000 - Advanced Tomato 3.4-140 K26ARM USB VPN-64K.
My Primary Streaming Devices: Fire TV Box (2nd Gen), Roku Premiere.
Cats are the best pets.

hackztor

Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:03 pm

I think Netflix does it so that they can have more watched hours of shows/number of shows watched. It is a bad move for consumers but for them it is good. Easily solved with ability to turn it off (dont count on that though).

gsmithmc

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:42 pm

I have discovered that when browsing Netflix on my Amazon FireTV the auto preview feature is not triggered.  I now use it instead of my Roku 4.

mikebdoss

Thu Feb 22, 2018 12:51 pm

hackztor wrote:
I think Netflix does it so that they can have more watched hours of shows/number of shows watched. It is a bad move for consumers but for them it is good. Easily solved with ability to turn it off (dont count on that though).

Why would a private company do that? They could report any numbers about watched hours they want - there's no rule or law saying they have to say anything. Your theory doesn't benefit Netflix in the slightest. 

xackley

Thu May 03, 2018 11:06 pm

I bought a new Roku, What a mistake. Couldn't Roku give us an option to use the older Netflix interface instead of this irritating mess. The older interface was functional. This new interface is not.
I have to move really fast to avoid the auto-preview, and god forbid I forget to hit Mute.
Then in searching for a solution, I read Netflix representatives bragging how wonderful the auto preview is, and how they are pushing it out to  Iphones? 

Has anyone figured out a way to block this, other than never buying a new ROKU?

Don

23rdDjin

Fri May 04, 2018 3:51 am

and here we go again...

"if it itches, play it..." - David Bowie - 1999

twiceover

Fri May 04, 2018 5:16 am

xackley wrote:
I bought a new Roku, What a mistake. Couldn't Roku give us an option to use the older Netflix interface instead of this irritating mess. The older interface was functional. This new interface is not.
I have to move really fast to avoid the auto-preview, and god forbid I forget to hit Mute.
Then in searching for a solution, I read Netflix representatives bragging how wonderful the auto preview is, and how they are pushing it out to  Iphones? 

Don

Roku or any other device.  This is a decision made by Netflix.  Nothing will change with people complaining here, take it to the source.

Basil

Fri May 04, 2018 5:22 am

xackley wrote:

Don

You could buy an Apple TV. Except it also has the interface.
You could buy a Fire Tv. Except it has that Netflix interface.
You could buy an Android TV device. Except it has that Netflix interface.
It’s almost as if Netflix, who writes all those apps, forces that interface.
But blame a Roku, huh? 
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)