Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tgm1024
Topic Author

Roku Ultra: No way to power off my TV?

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:19 am

(Regarding Roku Ultra)

I'm not sure I understand this, am I right in that there is no way to power off my TV?

The Roku already knew enough (either by EDID or something else crafty) to recognize my TV well enough to have the side volume buttons control the TV directly, but there is no power button?

Can I reprogram either the A or B?

Bacon

Re: Roku Ultra: No way to power off my TV?

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:26 am

They should let you hold the home button to be able to put the device in sleep mode and turn off the TV like the Apple TV does. 

Nebo1ss

Tue Jan 31, 2017 8:32 am

Using hdmi CEC mine turns the TV on with no problem but it does not turn it off. I always press the home button when i finish using the device since I find this is more likely to allow it to sleep.

atc98092

Tue Jan 31, 2017 11:26 am

Bacon wrote:
They should let you hold the home button to be able to put the device in sleep mode and turn off the TV like the Apple TV does. 

That would be a reasonable solution. Other than that, since the Roku has no power button, why would people assume you can power off a TV with it? For myself, I'll power everything up with the Roku remote, and then use the TV remote to power everything off. That works for both my Panasonic and Samsung TV, both with Yamaha AVRs. Neither AVR can be volume controlled with the Roku remote, so I have to have the TV remote handy anyway (since the TV remote does control the AVR volume).
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Tue Jan 31, 2017 2:04 pm

atc98092 wrote:
Other than that, since the Roku has no power button, why would people assume you can power off a TV with it? 

Because in the history of remote controls, you almost always been able to use one to both turn on and turn off a device (if it has power functions at all). The AppleTV doesn't have a power button or advertise that their remote can use CEC to turn off the TV, but it works that way. 
I think an AppleTV-style function (hold down the "Home" button, use the popup on the screen to confirm) would be both something they could add, and a very useful feature. 

tgm1024
Topic Author

Wed Feb 01, 2017 4:10 pm

mikebdoss wrote:
atc98092 wrote:
Other than that, since the Roku has no power button, why would people assume you can power off a TV with it? 

Because in the history of remote controls, you almost always been able to use one to both turn on and turn off a device (if it has power functions at all). The AppleTV doesn't have a power button or advertise that their remote can use CEC to turn off the TV, but it works that way. 
I think an AppleTV-style function (hold down the "Home" button, use the popup on the screen to confirm) would be both something they could add, and a very useful feature. 

I think so too.  Actually, it was among the first things I tried since it seemed so intuitive somehow.  I wonder if a remote firmware update is possible in the future....

Not having a way to turn off the TV directly definitely violates the "Law of Least Surprise" IMO.

I suppose I'll have to look into getting the SideClick.

Dwhelm

Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:49 pm

I had this issue but this instruction solved my problem. You have to find the code that controls both pier and volume.

https://support.roku.com/article/360004 ... -on-my-tv-

rigogs

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:07 am

it powers my Panasonic ON but will NOT turn OFF, first Roku box I had no issues, so got another as my son wanted one for his bedroom and this new one no OFF, got replacement from Amazon--no OFF.  Will keep trying other sound on-off from setup and see if one of those work--had tried a few and it did not make a difference, will have to make notes,

lnxpro

Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:49 pm

Same with my panasonic tv. the enhanced remote can power it on but not off. volume works just fine. i went through all the codes and none of them are able to control the power off. only power on and volume keys.

I did find it odd that this started happening after the december 4th update. my enhanced remote used to power the panasonic tv off just fine.

hackztor

Wed Dec 12, 2018 12:56 am

They do let you turn the tv off its called you have to buy a new remote with the tv button...I waited and waited for a feature like hold down home but finally gave in.

lnxpro

Wed Dec 12, 2018 1:45 am

hackztor wrote:
They do let you turn the tv off its called you have to buy a new remote with the tv button...I waited and waited for a feature like hold down home but finally gave in.

that is the remote i am talking about. the one with the tv button. doesn't work to turn off the tv after the last update (mine was December 4).

Bonsler

Tue Dec 18, 2018 4:09 pm

Roku+ remote was working perfectly turning on and off  my Panasonic TV until the beginning of December. Apparently, Roku did an update and now the remote will not turn off the TV. It turns the TV on, changes stations and the volume works but it will not turn off my Panasonic TV. Roku sent me a new remote but it still won't turn off the TV. We have 3 other Roku sticks in the house and they all function properly but they are not on Panasonic TVs. It has to be something with the Panasonic TV. If someone has found the answer, please let me know.

Bogman41

Tue Dec 18, 2018 8:46 pm

I found after passing by the first 4 options that made the music disappear (in my case 45th in total tries for the automatic attempts) both power on and off worked for my Panasonic Plasma TV.

The first 2 codes did power on, the next 2 did power off and the last did both! Pain in the butt but just keep trying.

Viewer00

Sat Jan 05, 2019 1:31 pm

Bless you Bogman41. You saved me untold time, I also have a Panasonic Plasma - 45th choice, you have the patience of a saint!

Bonsler

Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:52 am

Thanks for the reply. I was so hopeful that 45 times would work but no luck! I tried it twice and even went up to 46 x the third time without success. Any other suggestions out there?