Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

xlook
Topic Author

Questions on Compatibility w/ Old Tube TVs

Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:56 pm

Hi everyone,

I got an old mom who is not tech savvy. But she wants to cut her cable (which is Spectrum Cable TV) and wants a simple to use interface like Roku. Some questions:

1) Shes got an old tube TV with cable input for cable boxes. I read Roku Express+ is best for old TVs. But what do think is best for her?

2) Should she buy a Roku in a store or service provider like Sling TV?

3) Does anyone know if Sling provides Telemundo? If not its a huge deal breaker.

andyross

Re: Questions on Compatibility w/ Old Tube TVs

Sun Feb 05, 2017 7:24 am

Telemundo is a broadcast network, so any access may depend on if they have a station near her. You can always go to the Sling TV website and check what is available. They do have a Spanish TV Extra bundle that is $5 and adds a bunch of Spanish language channels, along with 3 other smaller Spanish language bundles. There is a Broadcast Extra that includes ABC, Univision and UniMAS. I don't see Telemundo specifically listed.
https://www.sling.com/

Is it possible to hook up an antenna to use for local broadcast, and use the Roku for streaming and 'cable' channels? You can still find some old digital TV converters on eBay or similar if the TV doesn't have a digital tuner. But then, if broadcast-only is OK, then a new TV may be cheaper in the long run if you can use an antenna.

Desert Dingo

Sun Feb 05, 2017 11:01 am

Just a nice thought...with 'mothers day' not too far off, why not you and family/friends treat her to a 'new' tv.   Her old tube set is certainly going to breakdown, and  would not be worth cost to repair, or even  done.  A new large screen tv is available for the same cost  or lower than what her old one cost new.
  :)

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Sun Feb 05, 2017 6:29 pm

xlook wrote:
Hi everyone,

I got an old mom who is not tech savvy. But she wants to cut her cable (which is Spectrum Cable TV) and wants a simple to use interface like Roku. Some questions:

1) Shes got an old tube TV with cable input for cable boxes. I read Roku Express+ is best for old TVs. But what do think is best for her?

The Roku Express+, which you can pick up from Walmart, is the only current Roku device that supports composite output (red/white audio, yellow video)

Depends on how quickly you want to watch programming on the older set. Your subscription starts immediately, and the Roku takes a few days to ship from Sling. If it comes within in a week, you aren't really losing anything, since you get the first week free.

It doesn't. You do know you can actually look this kind of information up at Sling TV's Website, right? http://www.sling.com/ It shows all the channels that are available from the $20 Orange package (1 stream), the $25 Blue package (3 streams), and the $40 Orange+Blue package (4 streams), as well as the add-ons. There are Spanish add-ons, but none include Telemundo. If it's a deal-breaker, then the deal is broken. If you're looking for similar channels, Sling has some. You'd know whether or not it would be sufficient.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

xlook
Topic Author

Sun Feb 05, 2017 10:57 pm

Yeah.. if Sling TV doesnt provide Telemundo its a real deal breaker. My mom has got to have Univision and Telemundo. Shes a TV addict. That being the case which streaming provider do you guys suggest that provide both Univion and Telemundo in their line up?

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Mon Feb 06, 2017 7:43 am

xlook wrote:
Yeah.. if Sling TV doesnt provide Telemundo its a real deal breaker. My mom has got to have Univision and Telemundo. Shes a TV addict. That being the case which streaming provider do you guys suggest that provide both Univion and Telemundo in their line up?

Neither PlayStation Vue nor Sling TV offer Telemundo. DirecTV Now (not yet available on Roku) did offer it, but it's no longer in the lineup. When I subscribed to DirecTV Now, it was part of the package (I noted all the channels it offered) and checking just now, it's not part of the package. Again, each of the Websites for each of the services list all the channels offered. But, as you can tell, the offerings can change. While I'm not familiar long-term with PlayStation Vue -- I've used it, but not for long -- I am very familiar with Sling TV and pretty familiar with DirecTV Now. Both have had the occasional channel show up and the occasional channel disappear. That doesn't happen often, but it does happen. Just like some cable or satellite service will add or drop a channel. Seems more common in the streaming services world.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

atc98092

Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:42 am

I see Telemundo Now available in the Roku channel store, but it requires a cable/satellite subscription. Also,[font=-apple-system, Helvetica Neue, Helvetica, sans-serif]Telemundo is available over the air in a lot of communities, including here in Seattle. So it doesn't have to be a southern state. It will usually be a sub-channel from the primary broadcaster. My local station has 7 sub channels, including a couple of "cable" shopping channels. So it might be worth checking your local stations. This web page Station Index lists a number of channels, but it must not be complete since it doesn't list the one near me. This might be more accurate: Wiki Page[/font]
Dan
Nvidia Shield, Roku Stick (3600), Ultra (4640), Premiere (3920), Insignia 720p Roku TV, Sharp 4K Roku TV, Windows 10 Pro x64 running Serviio and Plex on a wired Gigabit network.