Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Skolvikings
Topic Author

Roku vs Fire TV

Fri Feb 17, 2017 8:24 pm

I'm a loyal Roku user since the Roku XDS. My most recent is the Roku 4 which has been a huge disappointment.

We just cut the cord in our house and switched to PS Vue, which has a terrible app on Roku. So I ordered a brand new Fire TV.

Holy Batman! The Fire TV is awesome. It just works. Tons of apps. Alexa is amazing. I just showed my wife how she could say "play contemporary Christian music" and it does just that. The interface is clean and usable (unlike the original $19 Fire Stick I had previously used).

Granted it's only been a day, but I'm wondering why I will use my Roku again. Even Amazon's iOS app works better.

Never thought I'd see the day when I would consider something else better than a Roku…

huskerbear

Re: Roku vs Fire TV

Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:08 am

Been waiting for Roku to support 3D and have enough memory to download a movie, does the fire tv have that? And the big one, how about Vudu?

lion7718

Sat Feb 18, 2017 8:50 am

Vudu isn't available on Fire TV/Stick.
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

tom white

Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:13 am

Kinda depends on what you use to watch programming, whether you prefer PS Vue or Sling, let's say. I have a Fire TV and a Roku stick (more recent version).
You are right about PS Vue. The Fire TV version is much better for navigation than the Roku version. However, if you use Sling TV, the Roku version is better than the Fire TV version. 

I have been able to find apps (refuse to call them channels) for my local news stations that work on the Roku, but none work for Fire TV. Haven't found anything for Fire TV I liked as well, or that worked as well as XTV or NewsOn for Roku. Even the network apps (not news, but regular programming such as ABC and NBC) for Roku seem to have archives of more old series than their Fire TV versions. Example: Roku version still has Quantum Leap, where Fire TV version does not.

I may just wind up keeping both of them. Just use the Fire TV for PS Vue, and use the Roku for other things.

vnazario

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:50 pm

lion7718 wrote:

Hello:
   True, not available in their app store but it can be side-loaded like many other Android apps.  You can use an app called "Apps2Fire" or you can download the Vudu apk to your Dropbox account and install to the FireTV using ESFile Explorer app.  But yes, you can install Vudu onto the FireTV or other Android based streaming devices.  But it is easier and more fun to have 2 streaming devices on your TV.  I myself, have a Roku plus another companion streaming device per TV.  Other streamers to include GoogleTV, Sony Blue Ray, Google Nexus Player, Tivo, Equiso Streaming stick and first gen Fire stick.
   Hope this information is helpful.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

vnazario

Sat Feb 18, 2017 1:53 pm

lion7718 wrote:

Hello:
   True, not available in their app store but it can be side-loaded like many other Android apps.  You can use an app called "Apps2Fire" or you can download the Vudu apk to your Dropbox account and install to the FireTV using ESFile Explorer app.  But yes, you can install Vudu onto the FireTV or other Android based streaming devices.  But it is easier and more fun to have 2 streaming devices on your TV.  I myself, have a Roku plus another companion streaming device per TV.  Other streamers to include GoogleTV, Sony Blue Ray, Google Nexus Player, Tivo, Equiso Streaming stick and first gen Fire stick.
vnazario

2xRoku2 XS,Roku1+SE,Logitech Revue GoogleTV,Raspberry Pi+XBMC,Mac Mini+EyeTV DVR+RabbitTV+PLEX+Kodi,TiVo Premiere,Sony BluRay+streaming apps,Equiso Android TV,FireTV,Nexus player,Simple.TV Local TV:QAM from ISP coax line. PLEX+unsupported apps

lion7718

Sat Feb 18, 2017 2:52 pm

vnazario wrote:
lion7718 wrote:

Hello:

I know you can sideload it, I actually had it in my post...but removed it before submitting.
I didn't want to get into how to do it. :wink:
Roku Stick: 3800RW
Roku Stick: 3800X
Roku Stick: 3600X (Died)
Roku 1 SE: 2710X (Retired)
Roku 2 XS: 3100X (Retired)

Skolvikings
Topic Author

Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:20 am

I don't use Vudu so that's not an issue for me personally. The main apps we use (PS Vue, Netflix, Hulu, YouTube) work as good or better on the Fire TV.

Don't get me wrong, I haven't unplugged my Roku's yet. I haven't used it since getting my Fire TV either though.

Rich_T

Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:46 am

Amazon have just launched the Fire TV stick, which pretty much outclasses the ageing Purple Roku Stick in almost every aspect, the Fire TV has a much faster and smoother UI.
Also with Fire TV (boxes) you can enjoy 4K HDR, and voice search, neither are possible with Rokus hardware, they are still selling the Roku 3 as the top line model.
With no new hardware from Roku for the last few years, it would appear that Roku have given up and left the market to the likes of Kodi and Fire Tv to inovate, while Roku stagnates.

mikeyts

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:16 pm

I don't know what to make of that comment, Rich_T. Are you in the UK or something?

Nebo1ss

Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:45 pm

He must be in the UK if the 3 is the last device he is aware off. Of course some of us in the UK just get the latest from overseas. I have both the 4 and the ULTRA.

mikeyts

Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:07 pm

Looking at roku.co.uk, seems that they have the 2015 Roku 2, 2015 Roku 3 and HDMI Stick. They do not have Roku 4 (and presumably never will) or the 5 newest models, Roku Ultra, Premiere+, Premiere, Express+ and Express.
Last edited by mikeyts on Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

startreksteve

Wed Feb 22, 2017 1:14 am

Rich_T wrote:
With no new hardware from Roku for the last few years, it would appear that Roku have given up and left the market to the likes of Kodi and Fire Tv to inovate, while Roku stagnates.

Absolute stagnation of Roku products in the UK, we can thanks mr Murdoch for that, I love my Roku 3, but I use Kodi more and Im looking hard at those Fire TV's, I got an Amazon Echo in the first week of release in the Uk and love it to bits, would be nice to have her controlling my video viewing. Come on Roku you were the best when I got my Roku 3, nothing new (here) since.
Steve
Last edited by startreksteve on Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
Roku 3, Roku LT & Roku 1, Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 2, Plex Server.

mikeyts

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:44 am

(duplicate)
Last edited by mikeyts on Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikeyts

Wed Feb 22, 2017 9:52 am

The Logitech Harmony Hub can be controlled by Echo voice commands and will control your A/V equipment (see this). You can use it with an app on your phone or tablet or with a few different Harmony remotes. It's sold by itself and packaged with a simple remote as the Harmony Companion and with their top-of-the-line Harmony 950 remote as the Harmony Elite.