Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

JohnHenry434
Topic Author

Any way to block the daily Trump bashing Newsy ads?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 6:38 pm

It's been weeks on end of that partisan junk.  I don't turn my Roku on to see that. Enough.

Basil
** Valued Community Member **

Re: Any way to block the daily Trump bashing Newsy ads?

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:00 pm

You really shouldn't be surprised that most "news" organizations skew left. That's how things have been for quite some time. The difference is that many don't even pretend to be objective anymore. And, since they usually hang around with others of like political slant, they're completely unaware that anyone would feel differently.

Now, before you jump down Roku's throat about the ads, consider that they're getting paid by Newsy (and all the other advertisers) for those ads to be displayed. Just like when someone is watching cable on their TV, or listening to their radio, or using some other entertainment device. Newsy (and others) give them money in exchange for the ad space. Capitalism at work. Which is kinda funny when you think about it: a left-wing organization advertising using capitalism.

There are plenty of things being advertised that I don't like. I can filter it. Roku still gets to report an ad impression, but I certainly don't click on it, mostly because I ignore it. In fact, when they show something I do want to follow through on, I often miss it because I don't even look directly at that section of the screen.
Basil
https://www.basilsblog.com/
Roku Ultra (4660)
Apple TV (5th gen), TiVo

Previous:
Roku boxes from every generation.
Apple TV (2nd, 3rd, 4th gen)

dfgsrzwer

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:22 pm

Why are you hanging around on the home page long enough for an ad to bother you anyway? You should only be there long enough to click the app you want to watch. Just ignore it.
Charter Spectrum 60; d-link dual band router
Roku 4210, 3710; Xbox One, 360; Samsung BD player
Samsung tablet; Windows Vista laptop; LG phone
Toshiba DVD-R; Sony AVR; Panasonic AR
1080p and 720p TVs

Darnell

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:27 pm

I used to watch Newsy and I used to watch CBS News app too.  But some news orgs have lost their minds since November and I watch others now.  One America News is good for news, without so much commentary.

The sure way to put Roku ads to a halt, use Fire TV.  Not trying to bash on Roku at all, but it's true.  Fire TV advertises products to buy from Amazon and shows on their services.  No political mess.

Elijah_Baley

Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Wow. If the Newsy ads are really bashing Trump maybe I will have to slow down my navigation through the main menu and read them.

But, then again, shooting the easy target is not always the best choice.

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."  Will Rogers
Two Roku Ultras, three Roku 3s and a Roku 1
"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside." Mark Twain
Van Roy's Law: An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

tom white

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:47 am

Elijah_Baley wrote:
Wow. If the Newsy ads are really bashing Trump maybe I will have to slow down my navigation through the main menu and read them.

But, then again, shooting the easy target is not always the best choice.

"There's no trick to being a humorist when you have the whole government working for you."  Will Rogers

Well, I may have to add Newsy to my collection.
Good job with the Will Rogers line, by the way.

huskerbear

Wed Mar 01, 2017 7:56 am

I guess I never even see those ads....good thing, can't stand the ridiculous crap cnn is pushing.

mikebdoss
** Valued Community Member **

Wed Mar 01, 2017 9:38 am

Reality has a liberal bias, sorry Trump lovers. 

RadioClash

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:31 pm

Seriously?  Is this really an issue or is it just an excuse to whine?  Takes seconds to locate the app you want and to activate it.  

iwantobejohndoe

Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:36 pm

RadioClash wrote:
Seriously?  Is this really an issue or is it just an excuse to whine?  Takes seconds to locate the app you want and to activate it.  

I know like why are there even ads on the home screen when nobody sits and just stares at it or spends time reorganizing their channels or pondering their choices of channels? Just go to the next channel as quickly as possible and you wont even notice the ads. People, I swear.
iwantobejohndoe

Roku Premiere+, TCL 40" Dumb TV, Vizio Soundbar, Xfinity Cable TV & Internet, Cheap RCA Universal Remote.

All you need is a positive mental attitude.