Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

arkesini
Topic Author

BBC iPlayer not working on Premiere+ (in neither US nor UK)

Sat Mar 04, 2017 7:39 am

I bought the Premiere+ in the US a couple of weeks ago.
I tried it and was surprised to find that BBC iPlayer didn't report a message like 'You can only access this App from within the UK etc" but blanked the screen for a few seconds and then returned to the top menu. I wasn't unduly worried as I was returning to the UK soon afterwards and -surely- there wouldn't be any such problems!
I set the box up in my UK home, connected to my UK internet (i.e. no VPN or Proxy) and did a firmware update to 7.5.1 build 4111-29.
Needless to say, I got the exact same response!
The problem has clearly nothing to do with the BBC's insistence on Geo policing. If it is Roku's way of ensuring that a US device doesn't work in Europe, it would be too stupid to even contemplate, particularly as everything else works... Roku's failing is in letting a device hit the shelves with untested Apps!

Has anybody else had the same problem? 

My model is 4630X (Premiere+) with S/N YR00CH442552. Device ID is 7KA6AC442552

markhunter99

Re: BBC iPlayer not working on Premiere+ (in neither US nor UK)

Sat Mar 04, 2017 11:50 am

Yes, I'm finding the exact same thing. Got it from eBay and both BBC iPlayer and BBC Sport crash and go straight back to home screen with no message. Really annoying. I'm in the UK, not using a VPN, I pay my license fee, yet cannot get iPlayer on it.

arkesini
Topic Author

Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:35 pm

I have just seen the thread Roku Premiere iPlayer immediately crashes on startup started a month ago with no Roku expert contribution... We are not talking about geo-fencing here but a bunch of BUGGY apps that Roku are happy to include and advertise!

Rich_T

Sun Mar 05, 2017 3:45 am

BBC Iplayer will not work officially outside of the UK, there are some workarounds for this, but Roku doesnt like them being discussed on here.
Even if you use a workaround on your imported premiere +, BBC iplayer will not work ( and possibly some other uk specific apps/Chanels as well)

The isssue is that you have an imported device, and the Iplayer only works on recognised devices, in the case of RoKu players the player will only work on Roku device models that are currently officially for sale in the UK, or have been previously. The current latest up to date model list is the Roku Stick (purple), Roku 2 and Roku 3

Roku has stagnated significantly over the last few years on the UK with no new hardware releases and the current so called up to date roku's being decidedly long in the tooth and out of date
you only have to take a look at the Roku UK facebook page to see the complaints about the lack of up to date hardware rolling in, only to be met by silence from Roku.

My advice would be that unless you want to, or currently subscribe to Now TV, to avoid Roku players in the UK for the reasons above, and to instead purchase a more up to date platform such as Amazons Fire TV, an android TV box, or even a Kodi box.

Roku in the UK is a spent force, a thing of the past, Roku clearly has no intention of supporting the UK market with upto date hardware even thought here is a demand for it Roku are silent on the matter.
 If iplayer worked on import devices, i would have imported  new stick, however the only reason i am still using the incredibly sluggish and outdated purple stick is that i have a Now TV stick that will run through to September.

My Advice to you would be to sell your imported Roku device, and purchase Amazons Fire TV instead.

Maybe someone from Roku could comment on the issues above? however i would be surprised as Roku have no forward commitment to the UK market, other than off loading old out dated stock

Nebo1ss

Sun Mar 05, 2017 11:56 am

This has nothing to do with being in the UK or not the newer ROKU players do not support any of the BBC applications period. This started with the ROKU 4 and has continued with the newer
products like the premiere and the Ultra. The reason is very simple these products are not sold in the UK and hence there is no incentive for the BBC to make these apps compatible with the newer players. There has already been a couple of threads on this starting from when the ROKU 4 was released more than a year ago.

Until ROKU make a business decision to bring these products to the UK and the BBC have no intention of working on their app. I contacted the BBC directly and that was their response. it is not just Iplayer it is all the apps Sport news etc. The app installs but crashes when you try to open it.

I should add the other Catch up services all work fine ITV etc.

What we need is a developer to extract the BBC app of the NOW TV and make it available as a private channel. The Newer Now TV box is a ROKU 4.

Rich_T

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:09 pm

The Newer Now TV box is a ROKU 4.

There are a few major differences between the Roku4 and the new Now Tv smart box, visually they look the same, but the Now Tv smart box does not support 4K, however it does have an antenna input and intergrates DVBT-2 broadcasts with a 30 minute record/pause buffer

Nebo1ss

Sun Mar 05, 2017 12:17 pm

Many are side loading apps like PLEX on the Now TV box so from an App point of view it has to be pretty much the same.

see here.

http://www.eyeondemand.com/2016/02/08/h ... ow-tv-box/

Rich_T

Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:08 pm

From my understanding theres a little more to just extracting the code from the Iplayer app, and then sideloading it to a more up to date imported Roku.
 One of the issues would be making the BBC iplayer server think its connecting to an authorised device, the second would be getting hold of the code for the app, as far as i know Plex Classic, and Tv player all run on code that has already been put out there by the developer. No such code exists for the iplayer on Roku.

As previously mentioned the best solution would be to sell the imported Roku devices and purchase an Amazon fire TV, or get a cheap now TV box for Iplayer, and keep the imported rokus for other stuff

sharpedge

Mon Mar 06, 2017 12:50 pm

arkesini wrote:
I bought the Premiere+ in the US a couple of weeks ago.
I tried it and was surprised to find that BBC iPlayer didn't report a message like 'You can only access this App from within the UK etc" but blanked the screen for a few seconds and then returned to the top menu. I wasn't unduly worried as I was returning to the UK soon afterwards and -surely- there wouldn't be any such problems!
I set the box up in my UK home, connected to my UK internet (i.e. no VPN or Proxy) and did a firmware update to 7.5.1 build 4111-29.
Needless to say, I got the exact same response!
The problem has clearly nothing to do with the BBC's insistence on Geo policing. If it is Roku's way of ensuring that a US device doesn't work in Europe, it would be too stupid to even contemplate, particularly as everything else works... Roku's failing is in letting a device hit the shelves with untested Apps!

Has anybody else had the same problem? 

My model is 4630X (Premiere+) with S/N YR00CH442552. Device ID is 7KA6AC442552

When you got back to the UK did you reset the box? and did you also create your Roku account from the UK?

Rich_T

Mon Mar 06, 2017 2:15 pm

There have been many reports of people importing various more up to date Roku devices than those for sale in the UK, and finding out that BBC Iplayer does not work, form imported Roku 4's to he newer black stick, to the current crop of Roku devices for sale in the USA/North America.

IF your TV /Connected TV device is not listed  on the iPlayer Supported devices page, Ipayer will not work

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/television_iplayer

and the list of supported Roku / Now TV devices
https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/roku

if your device is not supported one of two things will happen: You will either get a device not supported message, or the Iplayer app will just crash/close.

so before you waste time with VPNs/ Alternative DNS settings and so on, check the supported list.
And before you blame the BBC, why not ask /Roku why they have abandoned the UK market?

arkesini
Topic Author

Mon Mar 06, 2017 3:37 pm

I would like to point out a few things:

1. If Roku had decided to drop iPlayer from their Premiere+, they shouldn't be installing the BBC apps. I first tried the device in the US and the BBC apps were just crashing while they shouldn't have been there in the first place!
2. I thought the idea of the 'imported' goods being something frowned upon and dismissively described as 'grey' imports went out with the Arc. In today's global marketplace this just doesn't make sense, unless it is meant to perpetuate profiteering by, for instance' the 1£=1$ equivalence.

Rich_T

Tue Mar 07, 2017 10:41 am

Whats happening is that when you connect to a UK based IP address, with a UK based Roku account as you would if/when in the UK , you will get the UK Roku channel list regardless of the Roku model you use.
However when you try and connect with the BBC iPlayer the BBC side will see that you are using an un authorised device, as that particular model of Roku wont be on the list, as a result you will see an error message, or the app just closing
 From other people having similar issues on here, the /BBC were unwilling to add newer import rokus to the list ( such as the newer streaming stick)

The reason why BBCiplayer works on android TV sticks is the BBC iplayer will just see it as 'android' and makes no distinction between the myriad of phones/tablets etc.

You can place the blame at the following:
 Roku for its half arsed support, and complete silence on the matter , I beleive there's someone here from Roku who posts under the name Roku Shawn ( or something like that ) maybe he/she could comment, however the lack of any thing at all from Roku, other than we currently have no plans to release...., or Keep an eye on the website for the latest updates says it all - cant be bothered/dont care.

The BBC for its paranoia over piracy/ rubbish about a consistent user experience, if it could recognise Roku as Roku irrespective of the model number then that would solve a lot of issues, and if iplayer doesnt run on a low end/old model then any help pages could just point to the not on the official list.

amyacker

Mon Apr 10, 2017 12:41 am

[color=#222222][size=100]I would love to subscribe to the bbc on Roku here in the US. It just isn't worth it to get it via cable because of all the bundles carry extra stuff that I don't care about nor care to pay extra to ignore. i`v used nordvpn for accessing bbc iplayer app from uk.[/size][/color]
Last edited by amyacker on Wed Apr 12, 2017 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Rich_T

Mon Apr 10, 2017 9:25 am

There was talk a while back anbout making an international version of the Iplayer, paid for via subscription in the same way  as netflixhowever that was not to be.
 This is from an article published in May 2015

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-32718259
(click link above for full article)
The BBC has confirmed the "global" version of its iPlayer on-demand service will close next month.
The corporation had charged users subscription fees to watch programmes via the app in Western Europe, Australia and Canada.
However, it never came to the US.
Reports suggest American pay-TV operators had threatened to drop the BBC America channel if the app had launched locally because they believed it would cost them viewers.

And here http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/bbc-ipla ... 112096.htm
(click link above for full article)
Rumour has it that American cable TV networks are to blame for the absence of Global iPlayer in the United States, as they see the service as a rival to their own offerings. The problem boils down to the fact that both the iPlayer and American cable companies carry the same content from the BBC America channel, and so the service could potentially ‘steal’ viewers from US networks. To prevent this from happening, US networks have threatened to drop BBC America completely if BBC Worldwide goes ahead and launches the iPlayer in the States.

Forced to choose between the two services, it seems that BBC America (the British broadcaster’s largest brand in the US) has won out – at least for the time being. The global iPlayer app is unlikely to be seen in the USA anytime soon, although the BBC hasn’t given up on plans to launch in America just yet.

There are workarounds,
1 a legitimate work around would be to download the programming to a P.C or IOS/Android device while in the UK and then watch it back anywhere

2: a half way house would be to use a device such as a slingbox hooked up to a TV device in the UK, such as a freeview box/Cable TV box (virgin media) /Sky Tv box or a Roku/Fire TV set up all based in the UK at a property with a reasonable uncapped internet connection ( ie Fibre/virgin media) at the UK site. then at the other end ( ie the US) using a slingbox/sling app to view the live streamed content form the UK, ideal if you have a base in the UK and someone there to look after things

3: messing around with VPNS and such.

4: The same as 3, but downloading to your phone/tablet then casting it to a TV

Option 1 would only be of use if regularly going between the UK and the USA and would be time consuming, plus you would have to pick your 30 days worht of content and download it - that's if its available

Option 2 requires a UK base with an internet service/subscription and someone at the UK end to re-set things and keep an eye on it should anything go wrong, some elderly relatives may struggle especialy if they are not that good with technology/computers etc

Option 3: Roku doesnt like talking about VPNs and other such black magic, ontop of that after spending some time in setting it all up, theres always the risk of it going wrong and suddenly stop working

Option 4: the same as 3 but with the added hassle of your phone/device getting confused as it will have a UK IP address, but the location services will say its elsewhere, resulting in a load of security messages saying someone has signed into your account from location X and your account is locked due to unusual activity

njf

Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:05 am

Reviving an old thread, according to the BBC compatibility website, iPlayer has now been certified on the Premiere+. I am thinking of buying one from the US. Has anyone tried recently to see if iPlayer works on the Premiere+?