Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Bird
Topic Author

getting very pissed!!!

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:10 pm

First of all I do not want to listen to internet radio!

Previously I posted that my SB suddenly could not to find my library. Then it started to work again. Now it only wants to connect to internet radio. I am getting very angry at this. All I want to do is access my library. I have no interest in internet radio. It worked for a month just the way I wanted it to do. Now its the Sh//ts. I DO NOT NEED THIS HASSEL. I JUST WANT TO LISTEN TO MY MUSIC.

When I come home I do not expect to work for an hour to get this thing working. I just want to turn it on and listen to my music. Is that too much to ask???

Perhaps I should have gotten the squeezebox after all.....

zaxapod

Mon Jan 01, 2007 5:27 pm

Can I make a suggestion? WMP11 media sharing seems flaky, sometimes it works, sometmes it doesn't. Why not disable the WMP11 filesharing and install Firefly media server. It just seems to work, with no problems that I've seen so far. Follow the instructions on this page (install bonjour first, then the windows version of firefly) http://www.rokulabs.com/support_sb_dwnld_firefly.php

I know WMP11 should work, and for many people it does, but it just seems unreliable to me.

wideasleep1

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:06 pm

Or Twonkyvision.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

RokuMike

Mon Jan 01, 2007 6:37 pm

Hi Bird,

What do you mean when you say that it "only wants to connect to" Internet Radio? When you turn the SoundBridge on with the power key on the remote, it will start playing the last station you were listening to, if that's what it was doing when you turned it off. I'm wondering if that's what you're seeing. If so, just press "Menu" on the remote and scroll down to "Change Library or Configuration to switch to your library.

Bird
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:03 am

I'm going to take zazapod's suggestion and try firefly. Hopefully this will work. When the SB is working, it is a very enjoyable addition to my system and I hope I can get it working consistantly. Thanks for your help and forgive me for venting my frustration.

Bird
Topic Author

Tue Jan 02, 2007 6:10 pm

OK I downloaded Firefly and everything work fine this afternoon. Actually I liked the way it worked better that WMP11. I shut everything down and went out for a wile and now it will not connect to the server. Give me a break please! What is going on? I can not deal with this kind of inconsistancy. All I want to do is listen to my music. Why do I have to deal with this BS. Why can't this be simple?????

If I can't get this working in a short time it will be swimming!!!!!

davwebb

Problem

Tue Jan 02, 2007 8:49 pm

This is a bit hard to follow, since it is spread among 5 different threads, but I'll give it a shot. I assume that the Soundbridge is still directly hard-wired to the computer using a crossover cable. Have you tried giving the Soundbridge a static IP address? That may solve your issue. Detailed instructions can be found at:
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10338
Good luck, and don't throw it away yet. It should work fine hard wired, but it sounds like the computer is losing sight of the Soundbridge, maybe because the IP address gets changed.

wideasleep1

Re: Problem

Tue Jan 02, 2007 9:34 pm

davwebb wrote:
This is a bit hard to follow, since it is spread among 5 different threads, but I'll give it a shot. I assume that the Soundbridge is still directly hard-wired to the computer using a crossover cable. Have you tried giving the Soundbridge a static IP address? That may solve your issue. Detailed instructions can be found at:
http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10338
Good luck, and don't throw it away yet. It should work fine hard wired, but it sounds like the computer is losing sight of the Soundbridge, maybe because the IP address gets changed.

And I understand from another errant post that you have an old version of software, and are on dialup and can't get it to complete an update? Can you take the SB to a friends' house and update the software?

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

Bird
Topic Author

Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:09 pm

I truly appreciate all of the help and suggestions that you guys have given me. I am not a computer or network guru (or even a novice) as you can tell. The static IP idea sounds like a good one but you lost me in the first paragraph. I honestly do not know what to do at this point. Apparently this device was not intended to be used with a dial up modem and a system that is turned off daily. I wanted a device that would access my music library and that is all. It seems that the SB does that but is a little Rube Goldberg-ish in the way it accomplishes that (IMHO) making it more of a hassel that a truly value added addition to my system. I hope that I will eventually figure out how to make it work, but its getting very frustrating. I work 50-60 hours a week and I don't need to put in another 3 in the evening just to attempt to get this working. Please don't give up giving me suggestions but for now I thing I'll put in a CD and have a beer.

wideasleep1

Wed Jan 03, 2007 7:15 pm

It essentially all starts with your software. Roku's latest software(or firmware) version resolves a mulitude of issues: connectivity, compatibility, reliability...so it's in your best interest to get the latest (even the beta, since it will likely go live if there aren't major show-stoppers) firmware for you model. Then we have a known quantity to work with, since almost all of us run recent firmware. This would require taking your unit to someone with broadband...just plug into their router, and get an update(or the beta). Reboot and check your System Configuration menu for software version to ensure all is well. Then you can bring it back home and add it back into your lan/wlan. Then we can go about troubleshooting any remaining issues one-by-one, but software may indeed resolve most issues.

mr rusty

Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:41 am

Hi Bird

Don't give up - the Roku really can be virtually 100% solid once you get it configured - I hardly ever touch mine - it really does just turn on and play, and on the very rare occasion it locks up, a reset/reboot seems to cure. It might be worth chatting to anyone you know who *is* more familiar with networks and giving them a beer!

I use Firefly accessing an iTunes database BTW

Bird
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2007 5:56 pm

Chapter 11:

I got home this evening did a little work on my computer and when I finished I went upstairs and figured, "What the flower, let's see if it will work." I proceeded to disconnect it from the power source and re-plug it and ....low and behold....It was up and running-working fine. Unfortunately my wife didn't want to listen to music tonight so....to be continued. (never argue with the wife over what your doing in the evening)

Cheers...

Bird
Topic Author

Workaround

Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:37 am

I've come to the conclusion that my problem is the 2.4.4 firmware and until I upgrade I've figured out a workaround. I've reinstated WMP11 and still have Firefly. If I disconnect the power supply and then reconnect, the SB will eventually find one of the servers. We are moving in about a month and I will be ordering Verizon DSL so once settled the all should be fine.

Steve E

Mon Jan 08, 2007 1:11 pm

mr rusty wrote:
Hi Bird

Don't give up - the Roku really can be virtually 100% solid once you get it configured - I hardly ever touch mine - it really does just turn on and play, and on the very rare occasion it locks up, a reset/reboot seems to cure. It might be worth chatting to anyone you know who *is* more familiar with networks and giving them a beer!

I use Firefly accessing an iTunes database BTW

That's a rather large "can"..............see the mute posts :cry:

mr rusty

Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:45 am

see the mute posts

yes, but mine doesn't do it........... I'm using the latest non-beta s/w and FF and analogue output.