Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

elyobelyob
Topic Author

Positive message

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:02 am

Got my first Roku Soundbridge M1001 today.

So far so good. It works a treat. Easy to setup. Was up and running in minutes.

Just a couple of things, though. I can connect to my uNSLUng Firefly library, but am unable to connect to my main PC running iTunes. Not overly fussed though, but am wondering why not as it can see it.
UPDATE : Discovered the beta software :)

Am disappointed by the limit of radio stations and having to hunt about for them. (A definitive list of UK ones please!)
UPDATE : Discovered the new features in the beta software .. will investigate now :) :)

Also am unable to get a NetworkAdapter to be discovered on Radio Snooper.

Finally, no pandora support .. boo hoo.

andyg

Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:51 am

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

look for Foxcat's 'how to' buried somewhere in this thread :wink:
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

elyobelyob
Topic Author

Thu Jan 04, 2007 12:13 pm

andyg wrote:

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopi ... highlight=

look for Foxcat's 'how to' buried somewhere in this thread :wink:

There's always a way! :)

To be honest, I am hoping for direct from Roku -> Pandora. My PC is in the same room as my Roku, but the idea is to have my computers off and have access to my MP3's, internet radio and Pandora.

Thanks all the same :)

elyobelyob
Topic Author

Another user

Sat Jan 06, 2007 7:54 pm

My brother popped around today and was mightily impressed with the M1001.

A few hours later and he's ordered himself one. :)

mr rusty

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:24 am

A definitive list of UK ones please
If in the UK and have a pinnacle branded unit it won't directly connect to itunes. Instead of using iTunes share, install firefly alongside. This accesses iTunes library/playlists etc. There is a licensing isue between pinnacle and apple. To all intents, absolutely no difference using itunes direct or itunes with FF

mas

Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:44 am

Honestly, it would be no good idea from Roku to try building Pandora support into their units.

In general, if a company tries to prevent such things by locking up their streams etc. then its quite a hassle if you try to circumvent it. Would be lot of work for Roku and the next change in pandora would break it likely. If a company open circumvents their technical measures then this may even have legal consequences or at the least prompt Pandora to deliberatly lock oout Roku devices to keep their contracts with their music providers sane.
So pretty low Return on investment to try implementing that feature seems to me.
You can hardly justify it unless it's an absolute key feature which this likely isnt.
Those who sacrifice freedom over safety deserve neither.