Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Irishexile1
Topic Author

Netgear DG834G Wireless Router

Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:20 pm

Does anyone have the above Router which they use for their SB? If so, how?! Apparently (according to here: http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=11063) you can't use it with a SB because the router doesn't support multicast packets (whatever they are). Can anyone shed any light on how I might be able to use it with my SB?

Thanks all,

Rich

richdunlop

Wed Jan 17, 2007 1:05 pm

That only applies to v3 of the router. I ran a v2 for a few months and it didn't suffer from this issue. People are hanging out in the hope that Netgear will release a firmware upgrade to fix this multicast problem. I'm not sure if Netgear have committed to this or not...

IMHO the DG834G is a pretty mediocre router in terms of both performance and feature set. I ended up flogging mine on Ebay and buying a Buffalo with the money I got back. I mod'd the Buffalo to run dd-wrt and haven't looked back. Of course that may not be your kind of thing but you can get something better off the shelf I'm sure.

Webreaper

Thu Jan 18, 2007 12:27 am

I run a DG834v2 and have had no problems at all. It's been running for a year or two, and works a treat with the M1001 I picked up a fortnight ago (although I connect using cable, not wireless, because the router is 4" from the soundbridge).

It's a good router, and the performance is just fine - just make sure you have the right firmware (3.10.29, IIRC - earlier and later versions had reliability problems when doing a large amount of intensive p2p).

kleinerp

Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:53 pm

Netgear have released a new firmware (V4.01.20) for the v3 router that enables multicast packets to be passed from wired to wireless.

richdunlop

Fri Jan 19, 2007 1:12 am

Irishexile1 - if you resolve this with the new firmware can you let Roku know so that they can adjust the router compatibility list? The DG834G is very popular (in the UK at least) and I suspect a lot of users will encounter this issue.

RokuLyndon

Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:11 am

I've already asked for the website to be updated. I've seen a few other posts, not here, indicating the firmware fixes the multicast issue.

GForce

Fri Jan 19, 2007 11:11 am

mine was fixed by updating to the latest firmware see relevant posts below:

http://forum1.netgear.com/showthread.php?p=5903

http://www.rokulabs.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10476

Irishexile1
Topic Author

Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:38 pm

OK, after a VERY long and boring journey involving two routers and eBay, I now have firmware V4.01.20 installed on my v3 router and the Soundbridge STILL isn't picking up Netgear. It obviously knows Netgear is there and is my router brand, but they're just not talking to each other. Any ideas? Thanks,

Rich

richdunlop

Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:10 am

Irishexile1 wrote:
OK, after a VERY long and boring journey involving two routers and eBay, I now have firmware V4.01.20 installed on my v3 router and the Soundbridge STILL isn't picking up Netgear. It obviously knows Netgear is there and is my router brand, but they're just not talking to each other. Any ideas? Thanks,

Rich

Can you expand on your issue some more e.g. have you managed to connect the Soundbridge to your network? What is showing on the Soundbridge screen? Any encryption or MAC address filtering turned on in the router?

ntpntpntp

Re: Netgear DG834G Wireless Router

Mon Jun 02, 2014 5:35 am

I know this is a really old thread and not really worth re-activating, but just to say that I never managed to get either of my Soundbridge M1001s to connect over WiFi to my DG834G router using WPA PSK security. Instead I've always run the Soundbridges using Homeplug ethernet-over-mains, which works flawlessly, mostly used for DLNA streaming from a Seagate GoFlex Home NAS plus a few internet radio streams.

I recently acquired an SB Radio as a very cheap "restoration project" (needing a power supply and with occasional crackling sound), and of course having no ethernet port on the SBR forced the issue of WiFi so I finally bit the bullet and added a 2nd WiFi access point to the network (an old Zyxel 570). Happy to say all three Roku devices now WiFi connect to the Zyxel using WPA PSK security plus MAC filtering.

Nick (in the UK)