Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

thekubiaks
Topic Author

M1001 shows Ethernet port is disabled

Tue Mar 13, 2007 2:57 pm

I finally got my M1001 talking to my Linksys WRT54GS wireless router after much pain and forum searches. I am trying to download the latest firmware for the ROKU but I can't figure out how to gain internet access. I tried plugging in a Cat5 to use the wired route but ROKU reports that "The ethernet port is disabled" So, the wireless feature is active but the wired is disabled?? or non-existant?? there is a port for the Cat5 on the back. I therefore can't update past firmware 2.4.4 and thus am having minor issues with Windows Media Player 11. I can see all of the computers on my network but can't get out to the internet and thus have no radio stations. I deselected "fliter multicast" in the router and NO virus stuff or spyware stuff is running. Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

thekubiaks
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2007 7:31 pm

To follow up, I installed Bonjour and Firefly, removed WMP11 and AVG7.5 (Virus program) still unable to connect to the internet. I tried to directly connect the ROKU from the Cable Modem to the ROKU bypassing the router and I still can't hookup to the internet. The ROKU says Failed to connect to Server" and under SHOW WIRED ETHERNET STATUS " The ethernet port is disabled" HELP PLEASE!!! :shock:

PlatinumAv

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:19 am

dude i know how you feel, ethernet disabled WTF
i had this problem yesterday, after several reboots & connecting wirelessly i got the ethernet port to wake the fruck up.
Then i did my serious amount of firmware / software upgrades.

The best way to allow your Roku i have found to do updates is to access your mac address and get the half hour to upgrade the unit of the support at roku labs page.

power on power off several times and reboot unit should get it going for you.
just make it work good & proper.

thekubiaks
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:36 am

PlatinumAV,
You are the man. I can not tell you what an excrutiating experience the install was. That was probably the biggest PITA since replacing the clutch in my car. I kept rebooting and playing with the ethernet cable until I got a green and yellow light to stay on on the ethernet port and it finally woke up. WOW, I bet ROKU has lost a LOT of sales because of crap like that and little documentaion or support.

thekubiaks
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2007 4:58 am

UPDATE: At least I am making some progress. I got the update to 2.5.174 via the ethernet cable but when I remove the CAT5, I can access my internal intranet but I can not access the internet. The Wired Ethernet Status still shows "The ethernet port is disabled" PlatinumAV, how did you access the MAC address?? and are you wirelessly accessing the internet now? THANKS

thekubiaks
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:21 am

Here is the great response I got from Tech Support:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If your M1000 has a removable wireless card, you must remove the wireless card to use ethernet.

What was the IP information you specified? Please include IP address, subnet, gateway, and DNS.

Did you specifying when connected to wireless?

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact Roku Customer Care at your convenience

++++++++++++++

Obviously not an English Major....

My M1001 doesn't have a removable internal wireless card, you'd think they know that. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm returning this POS simply because the support is horrendous..... THE END

wideasleep1

Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:24 am

thekubiaks wrote:
Here is the great response I got from Tech Support:

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++

If your M1000 has a removable wireless card, you must remove the wireless card to use ethernet.

What was the IP information you specified? Please include IP address, subnet, gateway, and DNS.

Did you specifying when connected to wireless?

If you have any additional questions, please feel free to contact Roku Customer Care at your convenience

++++++++++++++

Obviously not an English Major....

My M1001 doesn't have a removable internal wireless card, you'd think they know that. :roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

I'm returning this POS simply because the support is horrendous..... THE END

The issue you have was typically associated with the older M1000's, which indeed had a wireless CF card. A static IP assigned (the Linksys router has DHCP issues) could resolve your connection issues, I believe.

http://www.rokulabs.com/support/soundbr ... tic_ip.php

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... ht=wrt54gs
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

RokuLyndon

Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:07 am

thekubiaks,

I didn't see that you had an M1001. That's why I asked about the card.

If you've already tried doing a restore, and you still get the error, then the unit needs to be replaced.

If you reply with your address, to my email, I'll get that process started.

thekubiaks
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2007 9:14 am

I emailed you for an RMA but never git a response :roll: :roll: :roll: Would you please PM me with an RMA so I can exchange this M1001 for one that works. Thanks

RokuLyndon

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:07 am

I replied to you both from my personal account, and our support tool.

Send me your address, at lallydice@rokulabs.com. And, I'll setup the RMA.

thekubiaks
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:16 am

Lyndon,
Let's try one more thing. I got the wired Ethernet side of the M1001 to "wake-up". I bypassed the Linksys WRT54GS router by directly connecting the ROKU to the internet. I assigned a static IP to the ROKU but still can't access the internet. I thought the WRT54GS was the problem but after bypassing the Router, that eliminated the router as the culprit. Got any more ideas??? THX

wideasleep1

Tue Mar 20, 2007 10:45 am

thekubiaks wrote:
Lyndon,
Let's try one more thing. I got the wired Ethernet side of the M1001 to "wake-up". I bypassed the Linksys WRT54GS router by directly connecting the ROKU to the internet. I assigned a static IP to the ROKU but still can't access the internet. I thought the WRT54GS was the problem but after bypassing the Router, that eliminated the router as the culprit. Got any more ideas??? THX

Did you give it the gateway and DNS of your router? (usu. 192.168.1.1)
Then as it was, then again it will be

An' though the course may change sometimes,

rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

thekubiaks
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2007 11:25 am

Did you give it the gateway and DNS of your router? (usu. 192.168.1.1)

My ROKU Static IP is 192.168.1.110, the netmask 255.255.255.0, the Gateway IP is 192.168.1.1 and theDNS 1 is 0.0.0.0

The Linksys Router is Local IP address : 192.168.1.1 netmask 255.255.255.0 Static DNS 1 0.0.0.0 (I downloaded and installed the newest firmware 2.7.78 but no effect)

If I am wired to the internet, the radio stations work, if I am wireless, the radio stations do not work.

RokuLyndon

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:19 pm

Your DNS1 should also be set to 192.168.1.1. It can't be blank.

You can also set it to the actual DNS from your ISP.

thekubiaks
Topic Author

Tue Mar 20, 2007 12:49 pm

Lyndon,
I finally got the ROKU to work 100%. Thanks for your tips but the unit just decided to start receiving the internet radio stations on its own. I was going thru the Static IP setup procedures again and did several "Restarts" on the Roku M1001. After I re-entered the Wireless WEP password, the unit started to wirelessly access the internet. VERY BIZZARE. I'm happy that everything is working but dumbfounded by the pain involoved in setting up this thing. Almost every procedure I went thru was not documented with the unit and I had to dig thru obscure corners of the internet to find a work-around. :cry: There was practically no documentation on wireless setups and I must have spent 10 hours digging thru Linksys and Roku forums before I coaxed this thing into service. I love the product when it works but good grief!! I bet you have a very large amount of units returned because the customers can't figure out the setup.