Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Boulderite
Topic Author

Odd WMA Lossless behavior -- differs on SB Radio and M1001

Tue Apr 03, 2007 1:30 pm

I've just finished ripping about 100 classical CDs to WMA Lossless format. I use WMP 11 to stream them to my Roku Radio and M1001 devices.

All tracks that I've listened to so far play beautifully on both devices, except about 12 tracks (out of 24) from one album, Mendelssohn's Songs without Words.

When I try to play the first track on the album, the M1001 reports that it is unable to play the track. However, the SB Radio plays the same track just fine.

I've tried re-ripping, with no effect. I can rip to a different WMA format (e.g., 192 kbs), which works fine, but I want WMA Lossless, which won't work for these tracks. I tried using a different computer (also XP SP2 and WMP 11) to rip and act as a server, but I get the same confounding results.

Any idea why these tracks might not play on the M1001, whereas they do play on the Radio? All tracks play just fine on my computer. All tracks are stored to the same hard drive as my other tracks. Of the 24 tracks on the album, about 10 of them refuse to play on the M1001. The other 14 play just fine.

Both the Radio and M1001 are using the Roku Audio Center beta, 3.02. Computer is Windows XP Home Edition, SP2. Linksys WRT54GS router.

My thoughts:

1. Fault lies in peculiarities of the files as they are ripped to WMA Lossless.
or
2. Something in the M1001 firmware differs from the Radio firmware or how the two devices receive/process the WMA Lossless from the WMP server. (seems more likely, since the Radio plays tracks fine)

RokuMike

Tue Apr 03, 2007 3:37 pm

Hmmmm. That is strange.

Microsoft "shimmed" some versions of WMP11 to work around specific limitations in various devices, and had inconsistent shims in the SoundBridge devices. However, so far as I know, we corrected the issues that they shimmed with the release of 2.7, so I don't know why they would be different now.