Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dave2007
Topic Author

Just Ordered the Soundbridge M1001-Helpful Hints...

Wed Jul 04, 2007 6:44 pm

I just ordered the SoundBridge M1001 ...I will be receiving in about 5 days I'm guessing...I would appreciate any helpful hints to get started as installing software, Wi-Fi setup, etc. Thanks.

RokuMike

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:10 pm

Congratulations! :)

Before I start, let me ask that you please don't post entire messages in boldface. Reserve it for emphasis, so that we can preserve the readability of our forums.

For things to do, I would suggest:

1) Make sure your Wi-Fi router is set to allow 802.11b clients, if you're planning to use it wirelessly.
2) Figure out if the Wi-Fi router has a setting on it somewhere concerning "multicast" or "UPnP". Don't change this setting now, but at least find it. Sometimes routers block multicast traffic, and this causes problems with music server discovery
3) It's hard to recommend software without knowing what music library software you currently use. Many programs have servers built in, but some of them are not too super. The Firefly server that we recommend works well for many people.

dave2007
Topic Author

Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:33 pm

<<Hi Mike,

Thanks for the welcome! I'll remember to only use bold for emphasis in the text...I'll comment on your suggestions...

1- You mentioned setting 802.11b ...is it ok to use 802.11g as well ?
I think I was told that 802.11g is for faster wireless connections...
I believe my Squeezebox is set for the 802.11g now...
How do I check this info as I'm not sure...

2-also not sure how to check for Multicast of Upnp...

BTW, I'm using Network Magic software.

Thanks,

Dave -

RokuMike wrote:
Congratulations! :)

Before I start, let me ask that you please don't post entire messages in boldface. Reserve it for emphasis, so that we can preserve the readability of our forums.

For things to do, I would suggest:

1) Make sure your Wi-Fi router is set to allow 802.11b clients, if you're planning to use it wirelessly.
2) Figure out if the Wi-Fi router has a setting on it somewhere concerning "multicast" or "UPnP". Don't change this setting now, but at least find it. Sometimes routers block multicast traffic, and this causes problems with music server discovery
3) It's hard to recommend software without knowing what music library software you currently use. Many programs have servers built in, but some of them are not too super. The Firefly server that we recommend works well for many people.

Dave.B

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:21 pm

1 - Most wireless routers give you the choice of using g, b or both together. You will need to make sure that yours is set to the "both together" option as the Soundbridge is a b-only device.

Based on my experience, if you possibly can, run a cat5 cable directly to your SB from your router. Although mine worked flawlessly for well over a year on wireless, as soon as another wireless network sprang up over the road, it point blank refused to work. No amount of channel switching brought it back. So I ran a wire to it and everything's been fine since - with the added advantage that my microwave oven no longer causes tracks to skip. Of course, interference may or may not be an issue for you.

Having said all that - it would be wrong to place the blame with Roku for all that - I think that particular problem lies with the 802.11b standard. Although I can't help wondering if it would have tolerated the other network better if it was a g device...

2 - What router do you have? Someone here is bound to have a similar one and will be able to point you in the right direction.

dave2007
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:44 pm

<<Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help...Is there any reason why SoundBridge isn't using the 802.11G instead of B ? Just wondering if Roku might upgrade to 802.11G or does their system require them on the802.11B ?

I am using a D-Link WBR-2310 Wireless Router
...Thanks...

Dave.B wrote:
1 - Most wireless routers give you the choice of using g, b or both together. You will need to make sure that yours is set to the "both together" option as the Soundbridge is a b-only device.

Based on my experience, if you possibly can, run a cat5 cable directly to your SB from your router. Although mine worked flawlessly for well over a year on wireless, as soon as another wireless network sprang up over the road, it point blank refused to work. No amount of channel switching brought it back. So I ran a wire to it and everything's been fine since - with the added advantage that my microwave oven no longer causes tracks to skip. Of course, interference may or may not be an issue for you.

Having said all that - it would be wrong to place the blame with Roku for all that - I think that particular problem lies with the 802.11b standard. Although I can't help wondering if it would have tolerated the other network better if it was a g device...

2 - What router do you have? Someone here is bound to have a similar one and will be able to point you in the right direction.

Dave.B

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:04 pm

Hi Dave,

I have no idea about Roku's plans for implementing G on the Soundbridges and I doubt that it's even possible TBH.

What I can say is that while mine was working, it did work perfectly for over a year (streaming 320kb mp3s from an unslung NSLU2, and internet radio), and if my neighbour's network disappeared tomorrow, I have no doubt that it would work again.

Theory says that switching to a channel suitably far enough away should get things working again, and while I didn't try every channel, I know what channel they are using and tried the two furthest away and that didn't help. Maybe a bit more perserverence would have sorted it, but the advantages of running a cat5 cable suddenly became more appealing.

Either way, cabled or not, the thing is singularly the best gadget I have ever bought, so I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied when you get yours.

BTW, I checked out Network Magic - it doesn't seem to offer any kind of media server, unless "Remote Web Access to Shared Files - tick" is what they mean. Like Roku, I would highly recommend Firefly Media Server instead. I have it running under Linux on an NSLU2 along with many others, and together with the SB (or several SBs) it works brilliantly.

I can't help with your particular router as mine is a Belkin one.

HTH
Dave

dave2007
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2007 3:12 pm

Hi Dave,

Ok I'll have to wait until I'm ready to setup as far as changing any server info...I do know that Network Magic uses some add ons as far as Forwarding ports go but not sure if this is what you are referring to.
Will keep in touch here...

Thanks,

Dave - >>

Dave.B wrote:
Hi Dave,

I have no idea about Roku's plans for implementing G on the Soundbridges and I doubt that it's even possible TBH.

What I can say is that while mine was working, it did work perfectly for over a year (streaming 320kb mp3s from an unslung NSLU2, and internet radio), and if my neighbour's network disappeared tomorrow, I have no doubt that it would work again.

Theory says that switching to a channel suitably far enough away should get things working again, and while I didn't try every channel, I know what channel they are using and tried the two furthest away and that didn't help. Maybe a bit more perserverence would have sorted it, but the advantages of running a cat5 cable suddenly became more appealing.

Either way, cabled or not, the thing is singularly the best gadget I have ever bought, so I'm sure you'll be more than satisfied when you get yours.

BTW, I checked out Network Magic - it doesn't seem to offer any kind of media server, unless "Remote Web Access to Shared Files - tick" is what they mean. Like Roku, I would highly recommend Firefly Media Server instead. I have it running under Linux on an NSLU2 along with many others, and together with the SB (or several SBs) it works brilliantly.

I can't help with your particular router as mine is a Belkin one.

HTH
Dave

RokuMike

Thu Jul 05, 2007 4:52 pm

802.11g hardware is more expensive than 802.11b hardware. Cost of components matters a lot when you're trying to deliver a product at consumer-level pricing.

dave2007
Topic Author

Thu Jul 05, 2007 5:11 pm

<<Hi Mike,

I see your point...as long as the quality experience doesn't suffer then I guess it doesn't really matter...good point...

RokuMike wrote:
802.11g hardware is more expensive than 802.11b hardware. Cost of components matters a lot when you're trying to deliver a product at consumer-level pricing.

dave2007
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:19 am

(((re-posting here hope its ok)))
Just received my package for SoundBridge in the mail today...

Upon opening the package I noticed the Model Number being M1000 not M1001 as on my order form. I called the store was told to look at the serial number & Model number attached to the unit..it did indicate its a M1001 but I'm still not sure as the unit itself indicates its a M1000...
Also The Package labeling says SoundBridge Network Music Player M1000

It also says Package contains Roku SoundBridge M1000 Network Music Player...hope someone can help here..it was suggested by the store that the M1000 might be a series they put on the unit but wasn't sure.
I haven't opened the unit packaging until I can get confirmation that its a M1001. Thanks.

RokuMike wrote:

RokuLyndon

Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:35 am

No, it's not ok to post the same question in different places. See your original post for my answer. You have an M1001.

dave2007
Topic Author

Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:00 am

oh sorry..replied at the other message...Please get back to me there...

RokuLyndon wrote:
No, it's not ok to post the same question in different places. See your original post for my answer. You have an M1001.