Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

beacon
Topic Author

Roku and Belkin Wireless Repeater Advice Needed

Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:51 am

I have a Roku Soundbridge M1001. It is connected to my network wirelessly through a Buffalo WBMR-G54 router.

I have the Roku in a room distant to the router and was suffering occasional disconnections. As I was also suffering internet blackspots in the room I decided to invest in a Belkin F5D7132UK wireless access point to act as a repeater.

The Belkin has solved my connection problems. I now have perfect internet coverage over the house. However I can't get the Roku and the Belkin to play nicely. They connect perfectly and I can get bufferless internet radio now, but after a short while of working well the Roku loses connection to Firefly. Nothing I do can get it back. I also can no longer connect to the Roku via the web browser. It's looks as if the Belkin is hiding the Roku from the network and vice versa, but still allowing internet traffic through.

I appreciate that this appears to be a Belkin configuration issue but I was hoping someone on here may have configured one correctly for a Roku and got them playing nicely, and may be able to help me out.

Thanks

gcd0865

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:06 am

Don't have anything to offer about the repeater, but was wondering if you had considered adding a directional antenna to your Buffalo router, directed toward the faraway Soundbridge. They're supposed to boost the signal directionally quite nicely...

beacon
Topic Author

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:20 am

Thanks.

I looked at those but as I had blackspots in several places and the Belkin promised so much I thought I'd give it a try.

As I said I can't fault it for the improvement in internet connectivity but if it would just serve up Firefly for the Roku...

I may end up having to go down that route, but I'd like to try and get the Belkin to work if I can.

wideasleep1

Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:33 am

Not Belkin help, but flash that Buff with this:
http://www.dd-wrt.com/dd-wrtv2/index.php
Boost your power a tad, and it'll outperform the Belkin. G'Luck!
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

beacon
Topic Author

Sat Jul 28, 2007 2:05 am

wideasleep1 wrote:

Ok, I'm gonna play the (relative) noob card:

The firmware you linked to doesn't appear to be for my router, should I really be flashing that?

Is this going to void my warranty?

Can I revert to the original firmware if it goes wrong?

How will it improve my range?

How do I boost my power?

I'm still really looking to utilise the Belkin if I can. For a whole heap of complicated reasons I need a wired access point in the same room as the Roku (I have a PS3 there too) but need to have the router close to the primary phone socket in another area of the house.

If I boost the buffalo then it doesn't really solve my other issues. I will still need a wired AP in the room and without running cables round the house, which I'm not interested in doing, the Belkin seems the most likely solution.

Thanks for the advice!

andyg

Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:59 am

The Belkin has solved my connection problems. I now have perfect internet coverage over the house. However I can't get the Roku and the Belkin to play nicely. They connect perfectly and I can get bufferless internet radio now, but after a short while of working well the Roku loses connection to Firefly. Nothing I do can get it back. I also can no longer connect to the Roku via the web browser. It's looks as if the Belkin is hiding the Roku from the network and vice versa, but still allowing internet traffic through.

Depending on the actual belkin cable modem/router model you have you may want to see if you can set the following options in Wireless/Channel & SSID in the configuration page:

Wireless mode: 54g auto
Broadcast SSID: tick the checkbox
Turbo mode: Frame bursting mode

Wireless Bridge

set to Manual
enter the wired & wifi MAC address of your AP

Then go into the AP web admin page & head to Wireless/Channel & SSID

wireless mode: should be 54g auto (but for some reason mine is set up 54g LRS...)
SSID: tick the checkbox
Turbo mode: frame bursting

This setup works for me using the belkin F5D7633-4UK modem router & F5D7130 access point. Having said all this the official Roku line is not to use ap's - I think on the basis they cause more problems than they solve.

Still, hope this may help.
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

wideasleep1

Sat Jul 28, 2007 11:22 am

beacon wrote:
wideasleep1 wrote:

Ok, I'm gonna play the (relative) noob card:

The firmware you linked to doesn't appear to be for my router, should I really be flashing that?

Is this going to void my warranty?

Can I revert to the original firmware if it goes wrong?

How will it improve my range?

How do I boost my power?

I'm still really looking to utilise the Belkin if I can. For a whole heap of complicated reasons I need a wired access point in the same room as the Roku (I have a PS3 there too) but need to have the router close to the primary phone socket in another area of the house.

If I boost the buffalo then it doesn't really solve my other issues. I will still need a wired AP in the room and without running cables round the house, which I'm not interested in doing, the Belkin seems the most likely solution.

Thanks for the advice!

After a quick search, I've discovered DD-WRT won't work on the modem/routers, so nix my suggestion. Sorry.
Then as it was, then again it will be

An' though the course may change sometimes,

rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

beacon
Topic Author

Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:20 am

andyg wrote:

Depending on the actual belkin cable modem/router model you have you may want to see if you can set the following options in Wireless/Channel & SSID in the configuration page:

Wireless mode: 54g auto
Broadcast SSID: tick the checkbox
Turbo mode: Frame bursting mode

Wireless Bridge

set to Manual
enter the wired & wifi MAC address of your AP

Then go into the AP web admin page & head to Wireless/Channel & SSID

wireless mode: should be 54g auto (but for some reason mine is set up 54g LRS...)
SSID: tick the checkbox
Turbo mode: frame bursting

This setup works for me using the belkin F5D7633-4UK modem router & F5D7130 access point. Having said all this the official Roku line is not to use ap's - I think on the basis they cause more problems than they solve.

Still, hope this may help.

Thanks Andy. I'll try those settings if I can work out where to enter them in the web configuration pages.