Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

tamilgirl
Topic Author

compatibility with n router

Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:12 pm

After some research, i decided to go ahead with a sound bridge M1001 player.........went to the shop and read the box which says B and G router compatibility.......I have a Linksys WRT300"N" router........hence did not buy today........thought i could check on this forum before the purchase.
Is M1001 compatible with a N router??
please help!!
thanks in advance!

mscox_au

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:15 am

It is, but in a "backwards compatible" manner. i.e. Your brand new "n" router will support legacy "g" and "b" clients. However, operating any wireless router in a mixed client environment will negatively impact the peak performance of all clients, especially those faster/newer ones. Note that the Roku's are all "b" clients (someone correct me if I'm wrong).

MichaelSC

fizze

Tue Nov 20, 2007 2:14 am

It should be, especially with the WRT350N that has an integraded Upnp-based media server.
Strictly speaking though, the soundbridge is not compatible with 802.11n networks. The router all support 802.11b/g as well, so thats why its going to work.
Soundbridge M1001
de-u/c'd NSLU2 Unslung 6.8 - mt-daapd svn-1696

tamilgirl
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:08 am

thanks for your help, fizzie and mscox_au.
does that mean i may have issues with other wireless equipment that run efficently on the n router, like my laptop, printer etc...... :( ?!

rem

Tue Nov 20, 2007 11:35 am

you can always connect your old router to the new n router and use the old router as the gateway for your soundbridge. does it have an "access point" mode? this would make it easier to set up. otherwise, turn off NAT on the old router. with this setup, you can use the old router with all your legacy b & g devices and still not encounter performance issues with n compliant devices connected to the new router.

EDIT: sorry, i didn't read close enough. you currently have the n router. in that case just purchase a cheap (but compatible b & g) router. check the compatibility list. there should be loads for cheap on ebay if you don't want to buy a new one. then procede with the same setup outlined.
rem
roku digital video player wireless
m500 hard-wired (2)
m1000 hard-wired (1)
firefly mediaserver on winxp
firefly mediaserver on mss+
d-link dgl-4300 router
(static ip on everything...except the netflix player)

tamilgirl
Topic Author

Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:56 pm

thanks, rem.
my internet supply is via cable. I use VoIP hence i have a cable company router which then feeds the phone router and then into the n router!!! So i already have three routers and am hoping not to add any more routers !? :?
guys, i am getting a sense of dissappointment as i was really hoping to use a roku soundbridge...........somebody please help!
thanks,

rem

Tue Nov 20, 2007 7:01 pm

technically, you don't have 3 routers. you have a cable modem which feeds the voip adapter which in turn feeds your router. but i get it. there's too many devices already. if you are not willing to add another router/access point into the mix, then you have few other options:

1. switch your router to b/g mix mode and hope that the performance hit taken by your other wifi clients isn't too noticeable. however, is your current router on the "approved" list of routers maintained by roku? if not, it's all moot, because it won't work anyway.

2. not sure if there is an n-compliant gaming adapter. if there is, you can certainly hook this up to your soundbridge and use it to connect to your router instead of the roku's built-in wifi.

3. go wired. are you going to put the soundbridge anywhere near the router? a wired connection will give you the best performance, especially if you plan on streaming lossless audio formats. and it won't slow your n-compliant devices down.
rem

roku digital video player wireless

m500 hard-wired (2)

m1000 hard-wired (1)

firefly mediaserver on winxp

firefly mediaserver on mss+

d-link dgl-4300 router

(static ip on everything...except the netflix player)

wideasleep1

Tue Nov 20, 2007 8:39 pm

rem wrote:
however, is your current router on the "approved" list of routers maintained by roku? if not, it's all moot, because it won't work anyway.

I take a slight exception to this, as there are plenty of routers in use that are not on Roku's list..mine for example, works flawlessly and is dirt-cheap, running excellent firmware. ;) Best bet is to simply try, trial and error.
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!

tamilgirl
Topic Author

Wed Nov 21, 2007 7:08 pm

thanks rem and wideasleep1,
i was planning to keep the soundbridge away from the router and use it wireless. i checked the list and linksys wrt300N is not listed.
i could do the trial and error, but am not sure if the shop will take it back once i have opened and used the kit!!! :(
thanks,

wideasleep1

Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:59 pm

Most popular, high-volume routers should work just fine..esp. by companies that regularly update their firmware. Purely personal, but I'd steer clear of Netgear in general...support was atrocious, and firmware fared even worse in my experience. G'Luck!
Then as it was, then again it will be

An' though the course may change sometimes,

rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!