Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

mikeplusultra
Topic Author

Soundbridge Homemusic will not connect with WPA-PSK

Sun Dec 16, 2007 5:50 pm

Soundbridge Homemusic will connect to router with WEP but not WPA-PSK, despite assurance in Support that it will.

I'm using a Netgear 834 V3 and have latest firmware on the Soundbridge. Comments please from anyone who has connected with WPA-PSK and Roku themselves.

Mike

gpx

Soundbridge Homemusic will not connect with WPA-PSK

Tue Dec 18, 2007 2:08 pm

I've got exactly the same problem using:
Netgear DG834v3 Firmware: V4.01.30
Pinnacle Soundbridge Homemusic M400PX
Software: 3.0.44
Connects OK with security turned off.

SoulSurvivor

Wed Dec 19, 2007 2:07 am

Hi there,

I received one last week and had the same problem. You will have to...

1. Temporarily open your home network with no security (unit has no ethernet so cant use that to connect to net)

2. Connect the Soundbridge to open network and receive the firmware updates. (there may be 2 of them, one after the other)

3. After getting all the updates, secure your network and try again.

Not sure of the WPA password will be case sensitive but i did mine in upper case.

Hope that helps.

M

gpx

Wed Dec 19, 2007 6:33 am

Many thanks for you comments SoulSurvivor.

Sadly, I've already tried that. My Soundbridge updated to version 3.0.44 as you describe - but it still won't connect with WPA security enabled.

Are you also using a DG834v3 router? What firmware is that running?

SoulSurvivor

Wed Dec 19, 2007 7:16 am

I'm using the Sky Router, Netgear DG834GT. Using the default firmware which came with it (cant check version number since i'm at work).

I have 2 Roku Soundbridges and a Pinnacle branded one, all connect ok, apart from my initial Pinnacle problem.

Not sure what else to suggest :(

gpx

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:41 pm

Did you get yours to connect mikeplusultra?
I can't get mine working - and Pinnacle support have been no help.

SoulSurvivor

Thu Dec 20, 2007 2:56 pm

Found this forum with users who had similar WPA-PSK problems

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/131852/sh ... der_by=RUF

gpx

Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:30 am

Once again, many thanks SoulSurvivor.
I'll give this a try over the Christmas holidays. I'll post again here with what I did, if successful - but it won't be until the New Year.

gpx

Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:19 am

Tried the suggestions on above link - still no connection. Giving up with unit now.

peterockeloen

Problems to connect soundbridge with my laptop

Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:05 am

The problem i have is that soundbridge can see the server but won't make a connection to my laptop
I have tried everything but he won't connect
Can anybody help me cause its very frustrating

I have a netgear connection and a wifi-adsl connection both secured

RokuLyndon

Mon Dec 31, 2007 3:46 pm

Peter,

does your internet radio work?
And, to confirm, you are connected to wireless, see your media server, but can't connect?

if that's the case:

When the unit appears to be working fine, and can get on the internet, but can't find a local server, it's normally either the server, or some security software getting in the way.

-what firewall are you using?
-what antivirus software?
-What spyware software?

1. Router
There are some settings on your router that can cause the soundbridge not to work properly with media sharing. Log into your router from your computer, and check the following settings:

You can normally find these under security, wireless setup, setup, advanced, or maintenance. If you can't find these settings, contact your router manufacturer. Not all will necessarily be present.
-UPNP - enable
-Multicast or IGMP - enable
-Filter Multicast - disable
-WMM - disable
-AP Isolation - disable

If you are connecting using wireless, try connecting via a wired connection. Some routers that filter multicast over wireless, don't filter it on a wired connection.

2. Your computer
a. Verify your firewall application is set to allow your music server to communicate.
b. If you have antivirus, the music server folder should be on the exceptions list.
c. if you have antivirus, make sure to check if your virus software also has built-in firewall.

Some do under the guise of worm protection software. Try temporarily disabling it to see if that fixes the problem.

Your firewall needs to have ports opened for your music server.

Itunes - you need TCP port 3689 and UDP port 5353.
Firefly - you need TCP port 9999 and UDP port 5353.

For windows media player,

-Ports: 10284, 10283, 10282, , 10281, 10280 - UDP
-Ports: 10243 - TCP
-Verify UPNP Framework is checked under exceptions. (UDP 1900, TCP 2869)

3. Try another music server to verify if the problem is only with your current music server. Please download firefly from our website, www.rokulabs.com and install it.

jpphipps

Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:35 pm

gpx wrote:
Once again, many thanks SoulSurvivor.
I'll give this a try over the Christmas holidays. I'll post again here with what I did, if successful - but it won't be until the New Year.

I may be totally wrong on this, but nowhere in this thread does there appear to be mention of what model of SoundBridge is being discussed. If what's being discussed is an M1000, it's my understanding that only WEP security will work with it. Therefore, having both an M1000 and M1001 working here, I'm set up with only WEP - which should work with both units. And, indeed, it seems to.
3 SoundBridges, 1 SoundBridge Radio - Phoenix, AZ
3 SoundBridges - Netarts, OR

S80_UK

Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:26 pm

jpphipps wrote:
I may be totally wrong on this, but nowhere in this thread does there appear to be mention of what model of SoundBridge is being discussed.

Errr - first words of first post - SoundBridge HomeMusic.

That's an M400 in Roku-speak, and should support WPA I believe,
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

jpphipps

Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:11 pm

S80_UK wrote:
jpphipps wrote:
I may be totally wrong on this, but nowhere in this thread does there appear to be mention of what model of SoundBridge is being discussed.

Errr - first words of first post - SoundBridge HomeMusic.

That's an M400 in Roku-speak, and should support WPA I believe,

Oh dear! It's been a long day, and we octogenarians should read threads FAR more carefully. You're right, of course, and I will be more careful in the future. Thanks....
3 SoundBridges, 1 SoundBridge Radio - Phoenix, AZ
3 SoundBridges - Netarts, OR

wideasleep1

Mon Jan 07, 2008 11:24 pm

Don't worry JP...if folks would take the opportunity to create a sigline with pertinent data, we wouldn't need to reread threads and posts repeatedly to keep abreast of these basic details. They might also get answers and solutions quicker as a result. 'Help us help you' sort of thing. ;)
Then as it was, then again it will be
An' though the course may change sometimes,
rivers always reach the sea

M1000x2,M2000,Twonky 4.3.3 RC1 beta on LinkStation HGLAN400gig,Buffalo whr-g54s on DD-WRTfirmware-luv'in it!