Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dupondt

Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:38 am

Hi dbdemigod,

welcome to the forums.

The recommended version at the moment is svn-1586 (this is the most stable "nightly"). Here's the download link for the Mac OS package:

http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org ... n-1586.dmg

You'll find the newer version svn-1696 here:

http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org ... n-1696.dmg

but there is no need to install that if svn-1586 works on your iMac.

Installation should be self explaining. If Firefly finds your iTunes library (and there's no reason it shouldn't), it should run "out of the box".

It is recommended to disable sharing in iTunes to avoid possible interference.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

andyg

Sat Jul 12, 2008 10:46 am

You'll also need to open up a port through the firewall & shorten the name that firefly assigns itself when you first install it. It's a known bug that causes firefly to hang so change the name to something like 'Firefly on Mac'

To open up the port:

Go to System prefs/Sharing/Firewall and select New. Port name is 'Other', assign a port in TCP - I use 1024 for example. UDP leave blank, give the name 'Firefly'. Ok that. Go to the Firefly pref pane is System prefs and click Advanced. Set 'Assign Server Port' to 'Manually' and then enter the port number you have chosen. Apply the change.

Any problems just shout!
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

pharris

Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:49 am

:) At the moment I'm glad I have waited, learned from a prior experience.

I am in soundbridge m1001 with software version 3.051. Which I got as a beta when this happened with itunes 7.6.

Will the problem still happen with itunes 7.7, or will Roku be releasing a newer version of the soundbridge software, and if so, do you have an ETA.

My son is rabid for upgrading his itouch, but i won't let him, "the needs of the one, do not out weigh the needs of the many"

dbdemigod

Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Perfect - back to business!!! Thanks again.

douglaswallen

Sat Jul 12, 2008 3:23 pm

So how does one downgrade back to iTunes 7.6? I am on Mac OSX 10.5.4.

Thank you.

andyg

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:00 pm

douglaswallen wrote:

Thank you.

path of least resistance is to install firefly which serves the music just fine. path of most resistance... head to apple. :shock: search and ye shall find,

in the meantime...

http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org/
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

douglaswallen

Sat Jul 12, 2008 4:31 pm

Have searched Apple support site up and down searching on many variations of "uninstall iTunes", "backlevel 7.7", etc. and am getting no hits. I was hoping that someone in this forum or the individual who mentioned they had backleveled iTunes earlier could provided more detailed instructions.

This firefly bit appears to be some sort of freeware that says the Mac OS X version is "coming soon".

I am running hourly default backups via Time Machine as well.

Thanks for the help.

RokuLyndon

Sat Jul 12, 2008 5:21 pm

It should be available next week.

pharris wrote:

I am in soundbridge m1001 with software version 3.051. Which I got as a beta when this happened with itunes 7.6.

Will the problem still happen with itunes 7.7, or will Roku be releasing a newer version of the soundbridge software, and if so, do you have an ETA.

My son is rabid for upgrading his itouch, but i won't let him, "the needs of the one, do not out weigh the needs of the many"

MacAl

Sat Jul 12, 2008 6:31 pm

douglaswallen wrote:

Use Time Machine to restore from a day prior to updating to iTunes 7.7 and restore:
applications/iTunes
music/iTunes/iTunes Library

If that doesn't work, then the restore the following also:
library/preferences/com.apple.iTunes.plist
library/preferences/com.apple.iTunesHelper.plist
library/iTunes

When you're ready to upgrade to iTunes 7.7 after installing Roku's fix, Apple's "Software Update" will NOT recognize that you are using a pre-7.7 version of iTunes. So, download iTunes 7.7 from http://www.apple.com/downloads/.

stretch

Sat Jul 12, 2008 8:00 pm

douglaswallen wrote:
This firefly bit appears to be some sort of freeware that says the Mac OS X version is "coming soon"

The "coming soon" bit was a while ago
http://blog.elliottcable.name/posts/ins ... os_x.xhtml
These step by step instructions are for an older version

newer version can be found here http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org ... n=svn-1586
2 x M2000's
Infrant ReadyNAS NV+ with Firefly svn-1676
NSLU2, 500GB Maxtor One Touch III, uNSLUng 6.8, Firefly svn-1696
music library in FLAC format

andyg

Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:28 am

douglaswallen wrote:
This firefly bit appears to be some sort of freeware that says the Mac OS X version is "coming soon".

This some sort of freeware has been around a number of years in various incarnations and is, for many, a preferred method of serving their music rather than using iTunes for reasons ranging from speed of loading, to greater file format support than iTunes and more.

MaddMatt

Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:05 pm

RokuLyndon wrote:
It should be available next week.

pharris wrote:

Just posting up to make sure I can find this thread easily next week. Anxiously awaiting.....

alanmc

Mon Jul 14, 2008 2:35 pm

Hi MaddMatt, welcome to the forums -

Why be in a situation of " Anxiously awaiting....." when you can currently so easily use a far superior methodology called Firefly :wink:

Be assured it IS a superior method of serving your music files to the Soundbridge -

Cheers, Alan
(Radio Roku Moderator)

hokenpoke

Tue Jul 15, 2008 6:57 am

RokuDaveC wrote:
We've found the problem and will post a fix as soon as it's been thoroughly tested.
DaveC.

That's great and I'm looking forward to the fix. I noted all of the problems described but still had a functioning SoundBridge 'cause (fortunately) all my songs are Apple Lossless. It's actually not that big a deal because all functions work fine - it's just that every song shows Horizontal Bop by Bob Seger (how embarrassing) for a little while before the visualizer kicks in. It chooses this song (apparently) because its the first one listed in the XML library file.

One thing I hope the fix will fix - in addition to the naming problem - is a new latency problem. The time between pressing play and the start of track playback is much longer than before. Presumably this is related to the naming thing.

pharris

itunes 7.7

Thu Jul 17, 2008 5:25 am

I have 3 pc's with Itunes with music on a networked drive. Should i be able to upgrade one to 7.7 if it does not use the roku?

Do you know if 7.7 will rearrange the library / music nad be a problem for my pc on 7.62 that connects to the roku?