Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:41 am

Hi,

My SoundBridge can see my media server, but each time I select:
    - Playlists
    - Browse Artists
    - Browse Albums
    - Browse Songs
    - etc...
All I get is <0 items. Press EXIT to go back>!

I am exposing my audio media using Windows Media Player 11. I have tried this on both
    - XP Professional SP2 (I have 2 of these), and
    - Vista Ultimate SP1.
The Soundbridge can see each of them, but when I try to select any music I get the same message from each.

When I set up sharing on one of the XP machines, I briefly could see and play the default songs that come with WMP (Beethoven, David Byrne, etc.). However, when I tweeked around with the media share settings even these disappeared, even though I restored the orginal settings.

I can browse and navigate Internet Radio OK, so I guess that all of teh network connections are OK. I suppose that the problem is with WMP, but I haven't got a clue where to start. Please can you help me out?

Thanks,

Kaine
P.S. Both XP machines are running as virtuals, but the Vista is proper hardware.

Kaine
Topic Author

Oh, and also...

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:02 pm

Oh, and also...

The SoundBridge is recognised in each of the WM Players (it appears as an icon in the Media Sharing window with a green tick) and I have allowed sharing to it, which is why I guess they also all appear in the SB menu.

Also, I have tried stopping and restarting the Windows Media Player Network Sharing Service. When I do this, the SB picks up immediately that the service has been stopped, So I guess that this too is working correctly.

Cheers,

Kaine

dupondt

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:36 pm

Hi Kaine,

welcome to the forums.

The browse options you are using are optimised for iTunes/Firefly and might not work with an UPnP server like Windows Media Connect.

Try using the option "Browse Server Containers" instead.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

Kaine
Topic Author

Fri Sep 12, 2008 12:55 pm

Hi dupondt,

Thanks for the speedy response. I have tried that I'm afraid, but frustratingly:

Server: Name: > Browse > Browse Server Containers > Music > All Music > <0 items: Press EXIT to go back>

When I first setup WMP and set the sharing, but crucially didn't map my music folder, I could browse and play the default songs that come with WMP on the SB, that is until I mapped my music folder, after which it just gives the same message all the time. Is there anything else that I can try?

Thanks again for the reply.

Kaine

dupondt

Sat Sep 13, 2008 3:39 am

Hi Kaine,

well, it was Friday evening and I obviously hadn't completely read and understood your original post. Of course the SoundBridge's own browse functions fully support Windows Media Sharing. My apologies for misleading you.

So let's start over again. I could reproduce the behaviour you are experiencing by playing around with the settings in WMP.

First of all you should make sure that you have set up Windows Media Sharing to monitor the correct folders. If for example your audio files reside in a folder called "Music" on drive X, this should look like this (I only have a German version of WMP 11, but except for the language it should look the same in your version):

In case your audio files are stored on a network drive, you will have to change some system settings, please use the search function of this forum to find further information.

Secondly please check your filter settings. If you chose the wrong options for star rating or parental rating nothing will show up on your SoundBridge. Here's a screenshot of the settings that worked for me:

If you want to chose another setting for the star rating system, make sure you leave the option to include unrated files checked.

Fur further information please see Microsoft's FAQ for WMP.

Greetings
dupondt

Kaine
Topic Author

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:31 pm

Hi dupondt,

Thanks again for responding, I appreciate you taking the time. However, I have tried the settings that you suggest but with no success. I am beginning to suspect that the problem is the fact that my music is stored on my Buffalo TeraStation (NAS). I have a drive mapped to this shared folder, and have set the WMP folder monitor to point to the mapped drive. While this works fine locally, once I try to share the music to my SB, I think that there must be some kind of permissions issue preventing the WMP from accessing the files.

If you have any advice on this I'd be grateful.

Kaine

dupondt

Sat Sep 13, 2008 1:59 pm

Hi Kaine,

my music is stored on my Buffalo TeraStation (NAS)

Permit me to repeat myself: In case your audio files are stored on a network drive, you will have to change some system settings. See here for details.

Greetings
dupondt
Last edited by dupondt on Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Kaine
Topic Author

Sun Sep 14, 2008 7:46 am

Hi dupondt,

Thanks again for responding. This time I followed the link you suggested :oops: (thanks again), and low and behold, once I added the registry entry that was suggested there, I was then able to see my entire music library :shock: ... Yeah.

However, as is the case with most things like this, nothing goes too smoothly for very long. When I try to play any of the music I now get the following:

Unable to play "song name"

And it just then tries to play the next song that follows. It continues like this until it gets to the end of the album where it just simply says:

Playback stopped
Press Play to start

I will keep trawling the Q&A items, newsgroups and internet until I find an answer. Thanks again for your posts and if you can think of anything else that I could try I would be very grateful.

Kaine

Kaine
Topic Author

Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:12 am

Hi there bregent,

Thanks for your sugestion:

bregent wrote:
You may also want to consider running firefly on your NAS, eliminating the need to WMP and the PC entirely:
http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/Terastation_Install

This seems like an attractive option for me, especially since it means that I can run my music from the same location as it's stored. However, my Linux skills are extremely rudimentary, and I have even failed in my attempts to update the firmware of the TeraStation in the past, let alone installing software onto it. All I'm saying is that I don't trust myself to take on something like that. I would need a lot of hand-holding if I were to try.

Anyway, it may prove to be an alternative and a good fallback position. Thanks again for your response, I really appreciate it.

Kaine

Kaine
Topic Author

Mon Sep 15, 2008 1:35 pm

Hi again dupondt,

Good news, I tried it again today and, low and behold, it seems to work now. I thought that maybe I was suffering bandwidth problems, so I decided to cable connect rather than wireless. It worked, so I disconnected the cable and... it still worked!!! Perhaps it needed some time for the settings to propogate?

Anyway, it still gives me the Unable to play "song name" message ocasionally, struggles a bit and then plays the song, more often than not anyway. Some songs it doesn't struggle with, so I'm not sure what the problem is, but at least it's a minor one now, and one that I can get to grips with myself.

Thanks again for all your advice.

Kaine
:wink:

icarni

Tue Nov 11, 2008 1:55 pm

bregent wrote:
You may also want to consider running firefly on your NAS, eliminating the need to WMP and the PC entirely:
http://wiki.fireflymediaserver.org/Terastation_Install

Would like to buy a device that does this and more (like searching the database for songs, albums, etc.) WITHOUT going thru the firmware and unix jungle ..... mission impossible?

Let me say this way: Me and my notebook, my router, my roku M1001 and now any device NAS hanging on my router that allows my Roku to feed it with songs and allows my notebook to feed the NEW_DEVICE with songs I just downloaded from other sites .....

Thanks
Ignacio

CareyRokuUser

NAS File Sharing with Windows Media Player

Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:19 am

Thanks! This thread was very helpful. I had the same "0 Items" error message until I realized that Windows Media Player was monitoring the folders on my HipServ NAS rather than the local disk drives.

For what it's worth, I've found it impossible for WMP 11 to stream files from the HipServ to the Roku. I believe the problem relates to HipServ using a version of Linux, rather than Windows, so that the registry fixes that normally allow WMP to stream from an NAS do not work with the HipServ.

So for those who may be in the same predicament, here's the strange situation I face:

HipServ - streams all NAS .mp3 files directly to Roku, without the need for a PC, supports search and browse, but cannot stream any DRM-protected or subscription music

WMP - streams all locally-saved files to Roku, but needs the PC to be on, supports search and browse and DRM-protected and subscription music

Rhapsody (v4) - streams locally-saved and NAS files to Roku, but needs PC to be on, search and browse are buggy to the point of being unusable, supports DRM-protected and subscription music