Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

icarni
Topic Author

M1001 shows folder but unable to find mp3 on new Linkstation

Thu Nov 13, 2008 11:28 am

I transferred my MP3 collection into my new Buffalo Linkstation Live and can browse thru them using IE.

My Soundbridge M1001 found the Linkstation right away and sees the built-in folder Music, Pictures and Info (radio works fine too) but if I want to browse by Artist, All Music or one of the other options it says something like: "< 0 items found, Press Exit ....>" ….. (if I remember well…).

I'd like to hear music without my PC on …. How do I do that or what I am doing wrong?

Tvm
Ignacio

Burkhardi

Re: M1001 shows folder but unable to find mp3 on new Linksta

Thu Nov 13, 2008 1:57 pm

icarni wrote:
I transferred my MP3 collection into my new Buffalo Linkstation Live and can browse thru them using IE.

My Soundbridge M1001 found the Linkstation right away and sees the built-in folder Music, Pictures and Info (radio works fine too) but if I want to browse by Artist, All Music or one of the other options it says something like: "< 0 items found, Press Exit ....>" ….. (if I remember well…).

I'd like to hear music without my PC on …. How do I do that or what I am doing wrong?

Tvm
Ignacio

What UPnP server is your Linkstation using?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

icarni
Topic Author

Re: M1001 shows folder but unable to find mp3 on new Linksta

Thu Nov 13, 2008 2:59 pm

Burkhardi wrote:
icarni wrote:

Tvm
Ignacio

What UPnP server is your Linkstation using?

I think, it is PCast that comes built-in with the Linkstation brick, if any .....

Actually, by typing http://192.168.xxx.xxx:8080/cgi-bin/pcast.cgi it shows a Menue called "Settings for PCast and DLNA-Mediaserver" where I can point to the folder containing the mp3-files (I did) and different other options like password ......

Thanks for further advice.

Ignacio

andyg

Thu Nov 13, 2008 4:22 pm

Actually, by typing http://192.168.xxx.xxx:8080/cgi-bin/pcast.cgi it shows a Menue called "Settings for PCast and DLNA-Mediaserver" where I can point to the folder containing the mp3-files (I did) and different other options like password ......

and any joy?

IIRC, the Linkstation uses the Mediabolic server s/w which is limited, in respect of what the SB can do if you were to stream via iTunes or Firefly for example. Further searching would be advised in the first instance. You may also want to consider hacking the box to run Firefly although caution would of course be advised. :wink: You'll find more info on the firefly forums & wki and I would definitely recommend being in full command of the facts before going that route! No need to brick your linkstation... :wink:
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

icarni
Topic Author

Fri Nov 14, 2008 2:12 am

andyg wrote:

IIRC, the Linkstation uses the Mediabolic server s/w which is limited, in respect of what the SB can do if you were to stream via iTunes or Firefly for example. Further searching would be advised in the first instance. You may also want to consider hacking the box to run Firefly although caution would of course be advised. :wink: You'll find more info on the firefly forums & wki and I would definitely recommend being in full command of the facts before going that route! No need to brick your linkstation... :wink:

No way going thru the linux jungle ....I wanted to hear without PC on so I will bring it back and try the next one, next one will be QNAP TS-101 ... lets see ..... one day I will get it around I hope ......

andyg

Fri Nov 14, 2008 6:26 am

well, if you do get the QNAP, you'll be in good hands. alanmc who is an experienced member of these fora has one & swears by it. You'll not be alone for support! :wink:

good luck...
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8

icarni
Topic Author

Fri Nov 14, 2008 7:04 am

andyg wrote:
well, if you do get the QNAP, you'll be in good hands. alanmc who is an experienced member of these fora has one & swears by it. You'll not be alone for support! :wink:

good luck...

@alanmc .... is this true :wink: ???? .... anyway, does it work without flashing new firmware and all this stuff, just regular plug-and-play ???

alanmc

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:33 am

@ icarni -

QNAP > YES !!!
TS-101 > NO,
TS-109 PRO with on-board Twonky > :D :D :D

But I've just bought this > http://www.tranquilpc-shop.co.uk/acatalog/SQA-5H.html with on-board Twonky, so anyone in the UK who may be interested in buying my QNAP TS-109, just send me a PM :wink:

Cheers, Alan

icarni
Topic Author

Fri Nov 14, 2008 9:40 am

alanmc wrote:
@ icarni -

QNAP > YES !!!
TS-101 > NO,
TS-109 PRO with on-board Twonky > :D :D :D

Cheers, Alan

according to this chart

http://www.qnap.com/images/products/com ... TS109.html

the brick 101 DOES have the twonky software ....... or not?

alanmc

Fri Nov 14, 2008 10:24 am

They both come with Twonky, however the reason I stated 'no' to the 101 was that it is very slow when compared side-by-side with the real world performance of the 109 -
much slower cpu, and half the RAM.

icarni
Topic Author

Sat Nov 15, 2008 5:14 am

alanmc wrote:
They both come with Twonky, however the reason I stated 'no' to the 101 was that it is very slow when compared side-by-side with the real world performance of the 109 -
much slower cpu, and half the RAM.

Thank you for kind advice. It allows searching thru all the MP3's on the HDD by Artist, ALbum, Titel, playlists etc or just browsing ?

alanmc

Sat Nov 15, 2008 7:56 am

icarni
Topic Author

Sat Nov 22, 2008 10:06 am

Meanwhile I brought it back and got my money ..... looking now for another solution ....