Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dannyroberts
Topic Author

Works..Doesn't work...works...doesn't work

Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:06 pm

Running Soundbridge M1001 with the latest firmware. Using a D-Link DNS-323 NAS to serve MP3's with the built in iTunes server. If I'm hardwired, everything works like it should.

When I try wireless, there is no predicting what will happen. All my other WiFi devices work fine. Using a Netgear wgr614v5. All the settings seem to be right.

Without making any changes to my wireless network, the Soundbridge will see the available networks (or it won't); if it does sees the network it will sometimes connect (or it won't); if it connects it will sometimes let me browse (or it won't); and if it lets me browse it will play the songs (or it won't).

The inconsistent and arbitrary connection puzzles me.

dannyroberts
Topic Author

Tue Jan 20, 2009 8:20 pm

Can't get browser to connect to SB. Enter IP into browser, but get nothing.

Checking the WiFi status over and over on the SB I get

Quality: 32 Signal: -43dBm
Quality: 63 Signal: -52dBm
Quality: 32 Signal: -39dBm
Quality: 63 Signal: -38dBm
Quality: 31 Signal: -38dBm
Quality: 60 Signal: -38dBm

While testing, I have the SB within 8 feet of my router.

dannyroberts
Topic Author

Wed Jan 21, 2009 7:46 pm

Using WPA.

Tried WEP to see if it made any difference, and also tried with security disabled. No change.

Right now I am running in "b and g" mode. Tried running exclusively in b mode. No improvements there either.

Not sure if this indicates anything, but even on the times when the SB sees the network and I am able to connect I am still unable to get to the SB through a browser. Entered the IP address as confirmed on the SB and even tried an assortment of browsers. Nothing.

S80_UK

Thu Jan 22, 2009 2:01 am

dannyroberts wrote:
Checking the WiFi status over and over on the SB I get

Quality: 32 Signal: -43dBm
Quality: 63 Signal: -52dBm
Quality: 32 Signal: -39dBm
Quality: 63 Signal: -38dBm
Quality: 31 Signal: -38dBm
Quality: 60 Signal: -38dBm

While testing, I have the SB within 8 feet of my router.

Hi,

The very wide range in quality numbers indicates to me a possible interference problem. The signal at -38dBm is strong, as it should be 8 feet from the router. It is as though something else (portable phone, video sender, bluetooth, microwave, wireless speakers, or...) is also using the same frequency band but in a way which is blocking correct operation of the wifi. It could also be a strong signal from another wireless network.

I would at least try changing the WiFi channel number used by your router - and try several settings if needed - just to see if that helps.

Les.
Roku M1000, M1001, M2000, R1000, Roberts WM-201, Stream 83i

dannyroberts
Topic Author

Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:16 am

Thought of that one also. Tried channels 1,5,6,11 all without any success.

Also tested a manual configuration of the IP address without any change in fortune.

ismarketing

Thu Jan 22, 2009 8:45 am

I have a similar issue with my M500's. Sometimes they connect, sometimes not. I have tried changing channels on my router - no help.

What's odd - if I power cycle my router, the 500 can connect again. Sometimes this fix works for a few hours, sometimes a few days.

My router is a stock linksys WRT54GL with the latest firmware.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks.