Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Blake
Topic Author

Does the M1001 drive both digital outputs simultaneously?

Mon May 11, 2009 9:46 am

The Roku Soundbridge M1001 has two digital outputs: optical and coax. Will it drive both of those outputs simultaneously, or must I select one and only one output?

I'm asking because I've got primary and secondary speaker zones. My receiver can only drive the primary zone speakers. I'm using an auxiliary amplifier to drive the secondary zone speakers but I need to couple an input signal from the Roku to the auxiliary amplifier.
Regards, Blake

amdb7

Mon May 11, 2009 3:55 pm

I haven't tried that, but I have observed that the analog output is driven along with the digital output. If both the optical and coax digital outputs are not driven simultaneously,
I would think you could always drive your second zone via the analog outputs.

amdb7

Mon May 11, 2009 3:58 pm

Something else to consider, that I've never tried:

a simple Y-adapter on the coaxial digital output...one leg to your first digital amp and the second leg to your other amp.

Blake
Topic Author

Mon May 11, 2009 8:33 pm

My thanks to amdb7.

One of these days I'll learn to read the manual. I actually have read the Soundbridge manual, and I've even used the Soundbridge's analog output before upgrading to a receiver with a digital input capability. However I somehow forgot about the analog output. It's a mini-plug connection beneath (and in my case obscured by) the power cable connection.

After reading amdb7's posts I 'rediscovered' the Soundbridge's analog output. As amdb7 observes, the digital & analog outputs are driven simultaneously so I've solved the problem by coupling the analog output to my auxiliary amplifier.

In a perfect world I'd have a multi-zone receiver that would drive all zones using a single digital input from the Soundbridge.
Regards, Blake