Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

macjockey
Topic Author

Soundbridge M1001 -- is it dead? or playing possum?

Sat May 23, 2009 3:34 pm

My SoundBridge M1001 was in storage for four months, and now it won't start up. I bought a brand-new power adapter from Roku, but it doesn't help.

When I try the Safe boot routine -- switch off power, hold down any button on remote pointing at M1001, switch power on -- here’s what I get on the display:
----------------
ROKU
Soundbridge M1001
Let the music play
Standby… (then, it fades out, then OFF)
----------------

Any ideas? Is it really dead? or can it be revived?

Thanks for any replies.

amdb7

Tue May 26, 2009 11:47 am

After you see "Let the music play" and it goes to Standby, are you then pressing the power button once on the remote?

macjockey
Topic Author

Tue May 26, 2009 12:38 pm

No, I'm not.

But something else curious has developed… Last week, I ordered (and received) a replacement power adapter for my SoundBridge M1001.

Unfortunately, the new adapter did NOT revive my SoundBridge unit. In examining the adapter, however, I noticed something odd:

The NEW power adapter is rated at 5V. But the adapter that originally came with the SoundBridge is rated at 9V.

Does this provide a clue that indicates what is wrong with the unit?

Could the 9V. adapter have damaged the unit?

Why was the SoundBridge sold to me with a 9V. power adapter? And why is the replacement adapter only 5V.?

Inquiring minds want to know. :?

alanmc

Tue May 26, 2009 3:11 pm

Well this really is an unusual situation :wink:

Firstly we need to establish which model of SoundBridge you actually own - so please advise by answering all of the following questions:

1. Do the cables that connect to your SB enter sockets at the rear of the unit?
2. Do the cables that connect to your SB connect under the end-caps?
3. Did you purchase your SB direct from Roku?
4. If the answer to "3" is NO, where did you buy your SB?

amdb7

Wed May 27, 2009 6:46 am

macjockey wrote:
No, I'm not.

After it boots, unless you have it set differently, it goes to the last state it was in. So if the last state was Standby, once it boots up, it goes to Standby.

Let it boot. Let it go to Standby. Press the power button once on the remote.

What happens?

amdb7

Wed May 27, 2009 6:50 am

My M1000 and M1001s behave exactly the same way when they have been unpowered, then I plug them into wall power:

I see Roku, M1000 or M1001, Let the music play, Standby, then dark.

I press the power button on the remote, and the unit lights up and plays music.

askay

Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Apologies for piggybacking on this thread, but I just got an M1001 and I'm having precisely the same problem, except that pressing the power button once doesn't wake the machine up. In fact, I get no response to any button presses on the remote. (Yes, the batteries are good; no, the IR port isn't obstructed.) I'm new to this device, and so welcome any troubleshooting help. I'm suspecting, though, that the remote isn't working.

In fact, I just followed a pointer in another thread to use my browser to get to the SoundBridge settings and changed them so I can now see something on the display: a choice of server sources. But the remote won't scroll through the choices.

So: Dead remote? Any way to confirm this or do something about it? Or some thing else?

Thanks in advance for the help!
Best,
Alan

alanmc

Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:14 am

Hi askay, welcome to the forums

A good way to check if you’ve got a ‘sticking button’ on your remote control is to point your Soundbridge remote-control unit 75mms (3â€

amdb7

Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:29 am

If the SoundBridge has power attached, and has been issued an address by the DHCP server on your network, then it will be reachable on the network no matter whether the display shows anything and the remote control works or not.

Access your router so that you can determine the IP address that was issued to your SoundBridge. Then, type that address into the address bar of your browser. This will bring up the Now Playing page of the SB. Click on Presets. Then go to one of your presets and click Play. The SB should light up and play that station.

amdb7

Wed Aug 19, 2009 6:18 am

Also, while you're trying to determine whether your remote control is working or not, I might suggest that you can control your SB via the excellent SoundBridge Commander. It does everything the remote control does and more.

http://sbcommander.sourceforge.net/

askay

Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:05 am

Thanks for the suggestions! It seems pretty clear it's the remote. The PC-based app is pretty cool. The one thing it can't do, unfortunately, is configure the wireless setup, since that won't turn on unless the unit is disconnected from Ethernet. Ah, well -- two steps forward, one step back.
Best,

Alan

amdb7

Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:00 pm

Well, two forward one back is still some progress, right?

One more suggestion:

Get a copy of the Roku Control Protocol Functional Specification from
http://www.rokulabs.com/community/docum ... ion2-4.pdf

Starting around page 33 of that document, it tells how you can configure the device by entering RCP commands to the SB via its telnet interface. It would seem that commands like ListWiFiNetworks , GetWiFiNetworkSelection, SetWiFiNetworkSelection, SetWiFiPassword and WiFiNetworkConnect would be useful after going through the commands to do the initial setup.

So from a command prompt, type
telnet 192.168.x.xxx 4444
to access the SB on port 4444. Then you can enter the RCP shell and enter commands to configure it. You may be able to configure the wireless interface this way even while using the SB's ethernet connection.

jhelland

Re: Soundbridge M1001 -- is it dead? or playing possum?

Sat Sep 17, 2011 1:12 pm

i was having a similair/same problem and after reading this thread i decided to test my "wall wart" power supply.

With no load it was showing around 5V, but when i plugged it into my soundbridge 1001 it would drop to 4.3 - 4.5V, despite the display not turning on and also not being able to locate it on my network through my computer.

I happen to have an old desktop power supply unit which has outputs of 3.3, 5, and 12V. I UNPLUGGED my wall wart from the outlet and made a small split in the plastic insulation to expose the copper wire and then hooked the 5V leads from my computer power supply to the roku power adaptor wires (the wire with the white lettering was in my case the + and the all black wire is the - lead, pretty standard.)

After hooking up the desktop PC power supply, I had a perfectly working soundbridge. problem diagnosed, bad power supply.

I might poke around to see if i can find a 5V 1500MA (or higher) wall wart and cut and splice it to the factory plug that goes into the soundbridge. Hope this idea helps somebody else having the same issue.

Oh and FYI my Soundbridge 1001 is about 4-5 years old? It still works great... power supply aside.

jjaf

Sun Sep 18, 2011 12:57 am

Finding a replacement PSU with the correct connector is not difficult, see this thread.
R1000, M400, M1001

MikeRofone

Fri Mar 07, 2014 10:29 pm

macjockey wrote:
My SoundBridge M1001 was in storage for four months, and now it won't start up. I bought a brand-new power adapter from Roku, but it doesn't help.

When I try the Safe boot routine -- switch off power, hold down any button on remote pointing at M1001, switch power on -- here’s what I get on the display:
----------------
ROKU
Soundbridge M1001
Let the music play
Standby… (then, it fades out, then OFF)
----------------

Any ideas? Is it really dead? or can it be revived?

Thanks for any replies.

YOU!
You ... rock! Why, you ask, since we have never met, do I come to this conclusion? Well, let me explain.

I thought my Pinnacle M1001's power supply had given in. A few days ago the Soundbridge greeted me with all my settings and presets ( :evil: ) gone upon plugging it in (power strip with switch). "Odd, but well, after all these years..." I just hoped that this was not the first signs of the power supply giving in. Having read my share of these forums years ago, I know this is going to happen at some point.
Well, yesterday, it turns on, prints the Roku logo... and instead of telling me to let the music play, it reboots, and shows the Roku logo again. Rinse and repeat. I thought "ok, that's it, the PSU gave in." I had already cut its wire and tried another one PSU that I had lying around, rated 5V 1500mA, but it being a cheap piece of junk, it couldn't meet the Soundbridge's lust for power. It would not even get as far as with the old one.

The spirits low, already expecting to buy a cheap replacement that would probably also falter soon under the Soundbridge's demands, I decided to take to the forums and ... well, I don't even know what for. Nostalgia? I don't know. But I found this thread, and what the $%^& there is a safe mode? I didn't know! What trickery is this?! Anyways, might this be the solution? Safe mode might use less power, perhaps I can see if that's gets it farther!
So the PSU got rewired, I held my breath, pointed the remote at the SB and held a button, and plugged in the power adapter. And, lo and behold!! "SAFE MODE" boots! Progress! Ok it wants all my settings again, so was it a config issue? It even finds my WiFi network! Did that already fix it?
Unplug, replug, endless reboot. Ok, not enough. Safe mode again, "Reset to Factory Defaults", reboot, hold breath..... "let the music play!" :shock:

It lives! IT LIVES! In fact, I am just listening to it playing right now. Thank you so much for mentioning the safe mode! I can well imagine that I'd have given up if a new PSU wouldn't have done the trick. Now, my trusty Soundbridge, which I bought 7 years ago in Germany, took with me to Scotland, then back to Germany, and now to the US where I currently live, is with me again. You are my hero! :mrgreen:

I don't know why, but since the day I got it for the purpose of listening to Internet Radio without using a PC, I love this device. Actually, I might know why. I think I was sold on the device when I stumbled across the section named "A hint for geeks" or something, which mentioned the Soundbridge's telnet port. It hasn't ceased to delight me, even well after it was discontinued, and even though "better" (whatever that means) and more versatile and powerful devices exist.

So, macjockey, this post is a huge Thank You! to you, and also to Roku, for having made a product that I so dearly love and enjoy, that I type out a forum post like this one, which probably no one will ever read anyways. ;) A good reason to resurrect my old account for these forums!