Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

rr
Topic Author

internet radio does not play

Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:31 pm

My roku M500 radio is connected to the network and can play my itunes library. However it does not find any internet radio stations. My preset list was empty. I then loaded a new preset via the webpage for a radio station. That does connect and work fine.

So what is it that is preventing the Internet radio from being directly accessed via browsing radio stations? Is there something in my settings that could be wrong?

Thanks in advance for all your help.

rr
Topic Author

Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:59 pm

I am assuming that this is due to the radioroku server being down.

alanmc

Sat Sep 26, 2009 11:17 pm

So once RadioRoku is back again, here's the solution to prevent this annoying problem in the future:
"FlexbridgeRadio" solves this issue (visit http://www.flexbridgeradio.com/)
Once installed, you can be secure in the knowledge that you can save both your Presets & all your desired Favourites locally to your PC to play even when the RadioRoku server is down.

rr
Topic Author

Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:18 am

Thanks for the suggestion.

Well, I was able to play some radio through itunes playlist on my laptop. However, this defeats the purpose of the roku soundbridge -- to be able to tune to internet radio WITHOUT a computer being on. If I get a whim to listen to some new and obscure radio stream I should be able to do so without having to put it in my favorites.

It looks like this issue has been covered plenty of times. I apologize for rehashing this topic. I will try to implement some of the suggested solutions.

amdb7

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:05 pm

rr wrote:
to be able to tune to internet radio WITHOUT a computer being on. If I get a whim to listen to some new and obscure radio stream I should be able to do so without having to put it in my favorites.

That's why the SoundBridge has 18 Presets. Take 18 of your favorite stations and put the URLs for those stations into your Presets. Then you can tune in your favorite 18 stations without having a computer on.

amdb7

Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:07 pm

...and without requiring RadioRoku or any other service to be up.

chakarata

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:21 am

Referring to Flexbridgeradio, mentioned above:
1. As my e-mails were returned I assumed the address was not correct. This time after sending a second time it has not been returned so far, but I have yet to receive a reply. Time will tell as to whether it was a glitch in the system .

2. Their software appears to be for Microsoft systems only. There is nothing for a Mac.

Further comment re-Mac software. After 18 months of using a Mac, I wished I had changed years ago. I hope they will come out with a Mac version within the foreseeable future.

Is there a way of perhaps maintaining a list of stations for the Soundbridge Radio WITHOUT the use of any website. I'm thinking of a list on one's own computer and maintained by one's own efforts ?

As regards this forum, what is your position ? Moderator ?
Last edited by chakarata on Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

dupondt

Re: internet radio does not play

Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:34 am

Hi chakarata,

welcome to the forums.

1 Their e-mail address does not appear to be correct (...) My e-mails were returned.

This is the correct email address (I just received a message from someone else minutes ago). I would be pleased if you could remove the address from your post.

2. Their software appears to be for Microsoft systems only. There is nothing for a Mac.

Developing for niche systems isn't worth the effort :wink:
SCNR

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

pankajnagarkoti77

Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:20 pm

So what is it that is preventing the Internet radio from being directly accessed via browsing radio stations? Is there something in my settings that could be wrong?

chakarata

Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:42 am

I've had a reply to my e-mail to Flexbridge as regards Mac software. I quote:

"Unfortunately there will be no Mac version, as neither the .NET Framework nor the third-party libraries I need for the software are available for Mac OS X.

Best regards
Volker Göx"

So can anyone perhaps suggest a way to acquire and maintain a list of Internet radio station URLs, that would be independent of websites like Soundbridge or Flexbridge, and with the ability to work, no matter the computer operating system ?

dupondt

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:05 am

chakarata,

So can anyone perhaps suggest a way to acquire and maintain a list of Internet radio station URLs, that would be independent of websites like Soundbridge or Flexbridge, and with the ability to work, no matter the computer operating system ?

as a Mac user you can use iTunes for that purpose. Besides being a very bloated music player software, it offers thousands of internet radio stations. By dragging the stations you need into a playlist and sharing your library you can access them with the SoundBridge (provided it's not a Pinnacle branded unit, in this case you might want to have a look at Elgato's EyeConnect software).

Another alternative is to have either Twonky or Firefly on a NAS box or computer and use their internet radio features. This, however, is not as hassle-free as the iTunes solution.

As regards this forum, what is your position ? Moderator ?

I'm a user like you.

Greetings
dupondt

chakarata

Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:38 am

Thanks for a very rapid response.

I will try out your suggestion, BUT.... reading more carefully I see you mention "Pinnacle". Mine comes via Pinnacle, model M1001. So what is this other software that you mention ?

dupondt

Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 am

chakarata,

EyeConnect is a UPnP server for the Mac with support for the iTunes library. The trial version will stop serving video after 30 days, but remain functional for audio files.

Greetings
dupondt

amdb7

Fri Oct 02, 2009 7:12 am

May I also suggest www.shoutcast.com which has a huge variety of radio stations. I've found it to be a great source of radio URLs.

When you find one and click Tune In the first time, it will ask whether you want to use your default player or the Shoutcast player. If you select your default player, the URL will open in that player and you will have the URL to save in a playlist.

andyg

Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:34 am

@chakarata,

I'm also a Mac user missing out on FlexbridgeRadio and it's a shame it's not available for us, but such is the way. The easiest thing to do is just fill your presets with the stations you listen to so next time Radio Roku goes down you can still access your preferred radio stations. Unless you're channel surfing a whole load, with 18 presets available you've probably got most of your based convered.

Shoutcast is an option but requires some custom install as it's not natively supported on Mac/Linux setups:

UNIX, LINUX, FreeBSD and MAC OSX:
1. Download the SHOUTcast DNAS application version appropriate to your system by proceeding to this link.
2. Gunzip the distribution and un-tar the archive.
3. Use a text editor to configure the sc_serv.conf file (Please see the SHOUTcast DNAS application section of the Documentation page for more information on what each field in this config file means ).
4. Note that the user you run the server as requires read access to the config file, and write access for the files you define for file storage and log storage.

If you're happy tinkering under the hood then great, if not, then you might want to avoid.

As for Firefly, this is a music server alternative to iTunes and so on (and a very fine one too) but does not deliver internet radio itself.
G5, OS X 10.5.8, 3 x M1000, iTunes 10.4, slimserver 6.2.1/alienbbc (now redundant), firefly svn 1586, uNSLUng 6.8