Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

hauge48
Topic Author

Reconnecting Soundbridge

Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:52 am

Hello,

I have had this unit now for more than a year without problems of any kind. Now after a power cut I cannot get it up and running again.
The sequence of events are:

- Power on (or restart): "Pinnacle Home Music"
- Required to hold down the Home key for 10 secs
- "Safe Mode" message
- Language and region selection
- Finds my SSID, but does not take my WPA password.
- Pressing Home again gives me the following menu:

* Safe Mode *
Version Info (which is 2.7.14)
Upgrade
Reset to factory
Wifi Status
Wifi Setup
Restart Soundbridge

I down load the ver3.0 SW and choose upgrade.
All goes seemingly well, the unit reboots - and stays at 2.7.14.

What to do?

amdb7

Sun Oct 18, 2009 4:26 pm

What I would do is eliminate wireless from the equation for the time being:

- disconnect power from the SoundBridge
- connect an ethernet cable from the SB to your router or switch
- connect power to the SB
- power on to Safe Mode
- choose Reset to Factory
- disconnect power to SB
- reconnect power to SB
- let it upgrade to 3.0.44
- if it only goes to 2.7.14, disconnect power to SB, reconnect power to SB, let it upgrade to 3.0.44
- once is has upgraded to 3.0.44, disconnect power to SB, remove ethernet cable
- set up wireless

hauge48
Topic Author

Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:09 am

My unit only supports wireless connection - no ethernet connector.

What is "Safe mode" anyway? What is it, and why am I forced into this mode?

It seems that it this "Safe mode" which is preventing me from doing the update - after all, I did the update when the unit was new, and I cannot recall any "Safe mode" then.

Anyone?

jjaf

Mon Oct 19, 2009 9:28 am

Pinnacle HomeMusic is the M400 model, which is wifi only. You can however do an update via an SD card, see http://soundbridge.roku.com/support/fla ... update.php The download is still an old version though, but hopefully that will get you back online to do an auto update to the latest release v3.0.44.

Never tried it myself though.
R1000, M400, M1001

amdb7

Mon Oct 19, 2009 10:19 am

Sorry, I forgot that Pinnacle units don't have wired connection capability.
If it's booting to "safe mode" on its own, then that means that it thinks its software has become corrupted.

Have you tried this:

0. Temporarily turn off your WPA security on your router.
1. Remove power to SB.
2. Apply power to SB.
3. If it boots to Safe Mode, choose the Reset to Factory Defaults.
4. After this, remove power to SB.
5. Apply power to SB.
6. Assuming it boots to Safe Mode, enter your network information without the need for security password, and then choose the option to check for software update.

hauge48
Topic Author

Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:00 pm

Thank you for showing interest in my problems...

jjaf: The update file is most probably the one I used when I got the unit since it is dated 2007-08-21.

amdb7: followed your instructions and even got contact with my network in safe mode. I am only offered to update in the limited "safe mode" menu, and only SD is available. From the update messages all seems fine, with loading and verification and rebooting. But rebooting is made into "safe mode" all the same, and with the original SW. Even when contact is declared with my network, the unit shows no response to remote control keys, apart from "home" and input to the start-up commands (language, region and network connection).

Key seems to get it out of "safe mode" so that I get access to the proper menus.

amdb7

Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:57 pm

You say only SD is available.

Have you tried the same procedure, (boot to safe mode, reset to factory, reboot, enter your network info, get access to your network, and reboot to upgrade the software WITHOUT the SD card inserted?

hauge48
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 8:58 am

Same thing, unfortunately. It finds 3.0.44, downloads, saves, verifies - and reboots into Safe Mode, 2.7.14.

Another strange observation is that I have to keep the <home> key for about 10 seconds to get out of the welcome "screen" - Pinnacle Home Music.

amdb7

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:12 am

I have two more suggestions:

1. Try a different power supply, with the correct voltage, current capability and polarity. Many strange problems with these beasts have been attributed to failing power supplies.

Consider these posts:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.ph ... 8ec7b63ec8

and

http://forums.roku.com/viewtopic.php?t= ... f583a67d80

2. Send an email to RokuLyndon:
lallydice@roku.com

or a private message to him:
http://forums.rokulabs.com/privmsg.php?mode=post&u=8919

amdb7

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:16 am

...and furthermore on the power supply issue:

http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=22733

hauge48
Topic Author

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:30 am

Thank you amdb7.

I am going away for a couple of days, so I'll rest the case for a while. But I will certainly try out your suggestions.

BTW, what are my prospects? Should I just as well try to get a new one? (doesn't cost the world here in Sweden)

davy_b

Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:55 am

I have a couple of these M400PX units, one of them is doing the exact same thing as yours, I am still trying my best to get it to work again, the other one works fine, though I have seen mentioned here that the s/w version should be 3.4.4, mine is still at 3.0.14 and when I try it upgrade it online, it says that it is up to date. So I suppose I have two questions, How do I update the one that is working and also any other suggestions to get the safe mode one going?

cheers

davy_b

Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:06 am

More observations, it is possible that the safe mode only works at 2.7.14, this only accepts WEP keys as far as I can see, that is why I have had to turn off WPA while I am trying this.

With card SD card in slot is says immediately that software is up to date, and with it removed, it has a quick look online. It is possible that the actual software loaded on the machine is up to date, but as we are only seeing the Safe Mode version, it seems to be wrong.

davy_b

Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:12 am

davy_b wrote:
I have a couple of these M400PX units, one of them is doing the exact same thing as yours, I am still trying my best to get it to work again, the other one works fine, though I have seen mentioned here that the s/w version should be 3.4.4, mine is still at 3.0.14 and when I try it upgrade it online, it says that it is up to date. So I suppose I have two questions, How do I update the one that is working and also any other suggestions to get the safe mode one going?

cheers

Answered one question anyway, I tried updating the software on my working unit from the SD card (risky I know), it worked fine and now that unit is at 3.0.44, so the one online is still the most up to date.

dupondt

Tue Oct 20, 2009 10:52 am

@hauge48 and davy_b,

there have been cases similar to yours in the past, here's what RokuLyndon posted then:

"Try removing the batteries from the remote, and see if it still starts up in safe mode. If it does, then yes, the unit needs to be replaced."
(http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=17231)

"If the unit can't get out of safe mode, then it needs to be replaced. To be sure it's not a stuck button on your remote, remove its batteries."
(http://forums.rokulabs.com/viewtopic.php?t=17372)

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot