Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

frankielee
Topic Author

M1000 can't find music library

Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:04 am

Hi folks, first time post so thanks and bear with me, as I'm new to SB. I've scoured the posts here for days trying to find my specific fix to no avail. So here it is...
Vista 64 home premium, wifi connected. Plays internet radio perfectly. I can control the SB from my PC on it's address i.e. 192.168.0.5, change settings, stations, volume etc. But it can't read libraries.
I've shutdown the firewall, no help. My antivirus doesn't firewall. I've opened TCP port 9999 and UDP 5353 as well as a port for 3689. I changed IPsec from auto to manual. I've enabled sharing, both over the network and in Itunes.
I've started and restarted both Itunes and the SB over and over trying to re-boot the problem, no help. I'm totally bewildered why this thing is networked, playing radio, communicating with the PC, but not able to access music libraries. This is what the SB status page reads:

Software Version
SoundBridge is running software version 3.0.44

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Network Information
Connected via: WiFi
Wired MAC address: 00:0d:4b:04:09:7b
WiFi MAC address: 00:0d:4b:04:89:7b
IP Address: 192.168.0.5
Address Source: DHCP
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.0.1
DNS 1: 192.168.0.1
DNS 2: 205.171.3.25

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

WiFi Information
Connected to: xxxxxx
Signal Quality: 100
Signal Level: -30dBm

The ROKU SB M1000 reads No music libraries found.

Thanks for any help in advance. I've pulled most of my hair out. Can you help keep me from going bald?

frankielee
Topic Author

Sun Nov 01, 2009 12:06 pm

One more thing...I just tried the upgrade to ver. 3.0.52. Nothing. I can't imagine it's an M1000 problem. More than likely a PC config problem.

jjaf

Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:55 am

Hi frankielee

Firstly, are you certain it is a M1000 model? As a new user I would expect you to have the latest model, M1001. The actual model number is shown in the display when the Roku starts.

Secondly, and more pertinently, do you have a Roku or Pinnacle branded version? Check the front panel. iTunes is supported on the former, not the latter. If you do have a Pinnacle version, other media servers are available for AAC libraries, such as Firefly.

See if you can get it working with Windows Media Player (although you will need some MP3 or WMA files).
R1000, M400, M1001

frankielee
Topic Author

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:43 pm

Hi jjaf, thanks for the response. You're right. Although it says M1000 on the front bezel, the rear sticker with the serial #, as well as the electric display show it to be an M1001. It's new to me, but not new, as I bought it on Ebay. And it is a Roku.

I also have a Roku video player. It literally took 30 seconds to connect and begin viewing. No such luck with this M1001.

I can't tell how in the world to get this thing to work, as it's not being recognized by WMP or Itunes, or maybe it's the other way around, that it's not seeing any of these programs. As I mentioned before, it's on the network. I can control it from my PC. And yet there's no way to get it to recognize the music servers.

When you fire this thing up, is it supposed to auto detect files that are available for sharing? I'm not really sure what this thing is supposed to do, how it is supposed to perform, how it goes about connecting with the servers.

Thanks again for the timely response.
Frankielee

frankielee
Topic Author

Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:53 pm

Also, when I type in the SB's address and get to it's config page, it says the following:

Status & Control
SoundBridge is not connected to a library.

dupondt

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:12 pm

Hi frankielee,

what's the make and model of your router/AP? There might be a setting that prevents the SoundBridge from seeing iTunes.

Are both the SoundBridge and the PC using a wireless network connection?

What happens if you temporarily use a wired connectiion for both the PC and the SoundBridge?

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

frankielee
Topic Author

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:25 pm

Hi dupondt,

I have an Actiontec M1000 modem with an Actiontec W1000 router. I can't hook up both the pc and the SB at the same time wired, as I only have one ethernet connection on my pc and router. I have, however, connected the SB straight into the modem (wired) and nothing changes, the SB is still "seen", but not talking to any music servers. Seen but not heard, a good trait in a spouse, but not a music device :')

I have noticed that this isn't a Roku tested modem/router. It seems that since the SB is communicating with the router and modem, that it would point towards a pc/network/file sharing dilemma, but that's just supposition on my part. Thoughts?

Thanks,

Frankielee

dupondt

Mon Nov 02, 2009 2:37 pm

Frankielee,

in your router please check the UPnP and WMM settings. UPnP must be enabled, WMM has to be disabled.

According to this thread, however, there might be unresolvable issues with this specific router.

Greetings
dupondt

frankielee
Topic Author

Mon Nov 02, 2009 3:09 pm

Yes, the UPnP is enabled, the WMM is not. Ouch! I hate to see that thread you just posted. So it would appear I bought a $100 radio, instead of a library player? Bummer. I mean, it's a nice internet radio, but that's only half of it's alleged capabilities. Don't worry, I don't shoot messengers.

Is there another such device out there somewhere that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and might just work in my situation?

dupondt

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:58 am

Frankielee,

another streaming client might have the same issues with your router, so this is a question of trial and error.

Another streaming client, however, will definitely not cooperate with iTunes.

IMO you have the following options:

a) buy one or more ethernet cables and run your network wired;
b) try using Windows Media Player or another UPnP server (TVersity, Fuppes, etc., see here for more) instead of iTunes and see if these work;
c) replace the router by a model known to be compatible with media streaming.

Greetings
dupondt

46jimbo

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:10 am

I don't you believe you mentioned it anywhere, Frankielee, but did you enable 'sharing' in the Preferences section of iTunes?

frankielee
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:21 am

Hi jimbo. Yes, I've enabled sharing in Itunes and WMP, but neither one is seen by the SB for some reason. Can I ask a novice question? The SB is being "seen" by my actiontec M1000 modem. It's listed with it's correct address in the modem config section. Can the problem lie solely with the router? This particular actiontec modem branded Qwest has a plug and play router that quick connects (usb) to the top of the modem. If in fact this is a router problem, can I, or should I, try and replace just the router?

I just tried to install Allegro media server, but it won't install. It might be a Vista problem, as after downloading it I noticed that it was only good through XP.

dupondt, thanks for the replies....I can't run my network wired as I have another pc in another part of the house running as well. Also, the SB is meant to be wireless as well, in another part of the house.

Man o man, I had no idea I would spend the rest of my life trying to get this SB up and running. Good thing I'm unemployed and have plenty of time on my hands! Running out of patience though, big time....

dupondt

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:34 am

Frankielee,

I can't run my network wired as I have another pc in another part of the house running as well.

To get to the bottom of the issue you should nevertheless temporarily try a wired setup. If the SoundBridge then "sees" iTunes and/or WMP you can be sure your router is causing the problems.

Greetings
dupondt

frankielee
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:50 am

dupondt, I didn't mention that I've tried many times to run this SB wired ethernet, to no avail. After reconfiguring the SB to a wired environ, it still says no libraries found......It doesn't work wired or wireless. What does this tell us? I'm at a loss as to what the problem here is.

I tried switching the modem to a b instead of b and g as was reported elsewhere as a possible culprit. Nothing happened.

Thanks again for your troubleshooting.

frankielee
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:54 am

I just realized an error in what I'm doing. When hard wiring the SB as I just mentioned, I've been unplugging my admin pc, the one running Itunes from the modem, in order to steal the ethernet cable from the modem. Therefore I've been disconnecting from the Itunes source. Since I only have one ethernet out on my modem, how would I connect both the pc and the SB for a test? Is there a splitter of some kind?