Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

dupondt

Tue Nov 03, 2009 9:11 am

Frankielee,

Since I only have one ethernet out on my modem, how would I connect both the pc and the SB for a test?

You then need an ethernet switch.

Your M1000/W1000 presumably is filtering multicast packets by default and you can't change that setting. As others have experienced the same issue (please see this thread in the Qwest forums), you should consider dumping the W1000 and purchasing a new wireless access point/router.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

frankielee
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:49 am

dupondt, you make a good case unfortunately. Do you know if I can just swap out the router and leave the modem? Or do I need the whole deal? I know just enough about this stuff to get myself in trouble. Thanks for your advice.

dupondt

Tue Nov 03, 2009 12:34 pm

Frankielee,

as far as I have understood that M1000/W1000 stuff, you can remove the W1000 (the wireless adapter) and attach a wireless router/access point to the ethernet port of the M1000 (the DSL modem router). At least that's what the last poster in the Qwest forum thread successfully did (he used an Apple access point named Airport Extreme).

One last advice: Unless you're in desperate need of "n" speed Wi-Fi, you should purchase a "g" access point, as some "n" routers can cause problems for the SoundBridge.

You will find a list of recommended access points here, but it is quite old.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

frankielee
Topic Author

Tue Nov 03, 2009 3:34 pm

dupondt, thanks for all of the troubleshooting. I just ordered a Netgear RangeMax WPN824 from Tigerdirect for $60's. Small price to pay if I can get this SB fully functional. As to the Airport extreme, I read on another forum where it's not working with vista 64. Who knows.

Anyway, thanks again for all of the help. I'll let you know when I get this thing if I'm happily listening to music remotely or about to go postal again.

Cheers,

Frankielee

frankielee
Topic Author

Sweet success

Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:02 pm

Thanks dupondt and all who gave me suggestions on this problem. I fixed this issue by bridging the router as you suggested dupondt. I must admit it was no easy task, as the rangemaster came with little to no instructions, and bridging wiped out my normal modem access i.e. 192/168/0/1, and in order to configure it I had to enter a website with a password and username with no documentation in the box of what that info was. Long time spent with tech support finally resolved everything.

Thanks to the selfless service on this site, I can now access Itunes, WMPlayer, as well as internet radio.

Tip of the hat and thanks to all once again.
Frankielee

Now a loyal SB fan

bogrady

Actiontek

Tue Nov 10, 2009 6:18 pm

I had exactly your problem when I switched my broadband connection to QWEST Actiontek M1000 from an earlier MN500 wireless router with direct broadband microwave connection.

My posted answer was to bridge thru the Actiontek to a half decent wireless router(Linksys, Netgear, etc).

I am sure the problem is lack of support for multicast packets on the Actiontek product. Internet radio at least works very well but any music server I have tried is SOL incl Itunes WMP Jamcast Firefly.

As a former software developer I am very disappointed that no competent engineer at QWEST or Actiontek or ROKU has responded to this problem.

Good luck with another wireless router.