Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Ken.Pascoe
Topic Author

Roku M1001 / iTunes 9

Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:40 pm

Hi

I've looked to see if iTunes 9 is mentioned in the forums ... no so far.

I have a WinXP SP2 PC, wireless to the router, iTunes 9 with shared library, AVG Virus/Firewall (Firewall turned OFF to remove it from the mix of this problem).

The Roku can see the iTunes Library, but when I ask to connect it says connecting ... ... ... after a minute or so Connection to server failed.

Suggestions?

Ken

jjaf

Wed Dec 30, 2009 2:32 am

Hi Ken

Try rebooting your router and then the Soundbridge.
If that doesn't fix it, temporarily connect both the PC and Soundbridge using ethernet cable instead of wireless. Tell us the make and model of your router.
R1000, M400, M1001

Ken.Pascoe
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:07 am

Hi - Thanks for the reply.

The router is a Billion Bipac 7404 VGP M. I've recently upgraded the firmware to latest and as part of that re-set the routers settings back to manufacturers specs before configuring for my dsl line and wireless network.

I've rebooted everything endlessly. Also installed the latest firefly media server - I get exactly the same problem - the Roku can find it but can't connect.

Regards Ken.

jjaf

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:13 am

What about trying wired connections as I suggested?
R1000, M400, M1001

Ken.Pascoe
Topic Author

Wed Dec 30, 2009 3:53 am

Hi

Sorry - missed that part. Going wired is a major logistical exercise. I'll try that tomorrow.

Ken

jjaf

Wed Dec 30, 2009 4:42 am

The reason for that test is that some routers do not allow the right network traffic through the wireless bridge for media servers. Check your router configuration for the following settings:
UPnP enabled
IGMP enabled
mac filtering disabled
R1000, M400, M1001

Ken.Pascoe
Topic Author

Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:51 am

Hi

Although there are lots of anomalies, I suspect the prime remaining problem now is AVG blocking some aspect of FireFly/Bonjour.

I have re-installed the latest Bonjour and set it for "Allow All" in the firewall. I have also se the Firefly.exe program to "Allow All".

If I now turn off the firewall I can (eventually) find, connect and play. If I then turn the firewall on it continues to play music for a while (at least several songs) and then suddenly stops -> can't play a track.

Then when I try and re-connect - Roku can see the library but cannot connect. Then it's a massive effort to get things back to the state where (firewall disabled) the roku can see, connect and play.

Ken

jjaf

Thu Dec 31, 2009 3:05 pm

I'll assume you are still using a wireless connection. Note down the wifi signal quality and strength both when you have a connection and when it stops playing. You will find this information on the Soundbridge configuration menu, show wifi status option.
R1000, M400, M1001

Ken.Pascoe
Topic Author

Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:10 am

Hi once again.

The roku - although in another room - is separated from the wireless router by a book case and pretty thin wall, over about 5 feet. Wifi reception is excellent - it usually shows about 94%.

I'm back where I started. The Roku can see both the FireFly and iTunes libraries, but can't connect to them (this is with the AVG firewall disabled - with the firewall active it can't see them at all).

I know if I drag the roku in the other room, connect it wired, re-boot the computer it will then connect and play songs. And when I drag it back in here, it will connect and play wirelessly. For a while. Then it will die and I'll be back where I am. I'm at wits end with this flower thing and I'm seriously considering putting it up in a cupboard for a year or so and see if it works then.

Ken

jjaf

Fri Jan 01, 2010 3:32 am

I asked for the signal strength (dbi) and quality (%) when it starts playing and after it stops playing.

Try another wireless channel on the router, you may be suffering from interference from a neighbour's system.
R1000, M400, M1001

amdb7

Sat Jan 02, 2010 9:48 am

One other easy thing to try:

Go to Add/Remove programs. Uninstall Bonjour.

Download Apple's Bonjour for Windows here:
http://support.apple.com/kb/DL755

Reinstall Bonjour for Windows.

Restart computer and iTunes.