Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Hammerman
Topic Author

SB can't download data

Fri Mar 12, 2010 8:14 am

Hi

I've had my SB for almost four year or more...I can't even remember when I got it! And it's been great...between the radio and my CD collection, everything I wanted.

So I decided to go to the next level and I added a WHS. After a little struggle I got it all going and transfered the music to the WHS...so far so good.

A couple of years later I had the opportunity to add 300 gb of music from a collection of vinyl. This is a historical archive of Billboard hits dating back to the 1950s and an invaluable resource as well as a deep collection of music from the 60, 70 and 80s right up until digital kicked in big time.

The files reside in a series of folders on my WHS music folder. I can access them from any computer in the house connected to the network but the SB balks, saying "invalid data"
(the radio is working fine and I can see the soundbridge on my network and it certainly sees the WHS but just won
t download data....no playlists, no albumns, no artists, no genres...nothing.)

So, I delete PV connect since it was giving me problems anyway with WHS and installed firefly media server.

Nothing has changed.

So now what...I can't play any of my music while I'm making dinner or hanging out in my living room and that's a downer because I love my music and I used to love my SB.

Any suggestions? I've twice written to SB support, got one email suggesting I try firefly but they have not responded to any of my follow ups, including a new ticket.

Starting to get a little frustrated because for years I have evangelized this product and been a big supporter...

amdb7

Re: SB can't download data

Fri Mar 12, 2010 6:08 pm

I've used Firefly and other servers with my SoundBridges for years. I found that if you try to browse more than about 25,000 songs, the SoundBridge chokes. If you set up your collection with playlists or such that when you browse with the SB you are not browsing more than around that number, you may find that it works.

Try setting up a playlist or folder of your collection that is 25,000 songs or less, and see if you still have the problem.

jjaf

Sat Mar 13, 2010 1:27 am

You could split up your collection into smaller libraries, each one served by a different instance of Firefly.
R1000, M400, M1001

Hammerman
Topic Author

Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:44 am

thanks for both suggestions...

1) How do I install another instances of Firefly?

2) the path right now is (server0/music/(four folders each with folders inside). So what I assume you're saying is that I create a folder "playlists" and move all my playlists into that?

3) Is there a way to direct SB to navigate to a specific folder? I think not because it seems just to search for an extract any recognizable music file....

Thanks for the responses, getting more support here than I have in three weeks from roku directly...

Hammerman
Topic Author

Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:28 pm

Hmm'

1) Beyond my capabilities

2) Whoops...the playlists I have now aren't working...

3) No wonder Rokulabs aren't responding...they didn't foresee people installing 500Gb of music on their system.

So, now what. Am I screwed? Do I go buy a Dlink media connector or some other product? I know it's not polite to discuss these things here but if Roku can't service their customers, we have to move on.

jjaf

Mon Mar 15, 2010 7:19 am

If you want to browse to folders to get round the problem, use another Server like Jamcast which supports folder containers.

An alternative is to use a different server for each of your categories; you could have WMP, Firefly, Jamcast (+ countless other media servers out there) all working concurrently. The downside is that navigation techniques will not be consistent.
R1000, M400, M1001

Hammerman
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2010 8:06 am

@bregent

That's interesting...I assumed firefly configged itself...my bad.

Okay, so I'm in firefly and I can't get access to the WHS server (password issue...can't seem to bring up the access panel though I CAN get access to my user files)

Right now FF is mapping to my own C drive on my desktop machine...I will investigate further and see if there's a solution,....at worst I could try creating a USER folder for music and dump stuff there and see if it work on a test basis...

Hammerman
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:45 am

Hmm

So I gave my head a shake and went in to WHS settings and pulled up FF.

so far so good....it is configged but I have no idea really what I'm supposed to do with it because there's no user guide....

Went to FF forums and something seems wrong..I registered and posted twice but my posts don't appear....the wiki is down too...anyone know where I can get a user guide for set up?

Hammerman
Topic Author

Mon Mar 15, 2010 9:55 am

Okay I know I sound like an idiot....and I probably am....but I poked and prodded the FF interface on WHS and guess what....I have no idea what I did but I got it working.......yes!!!

I think I just had to get it to scan....so all seems good for now...it seems all the albums, some 83,000 songs came up....so we're good to go....thanks for the suggestions to config FF....but I still have no idea how I got it to work LOL