Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

naz
Topic Author

DHCP problem

Fri Aug 20, 2004 11:46 pm

I had a problem getting my SoundBridge 1000 up on my network using DHCP (version 1.0.44). My DHCP server is a Netgear WGR614 wireless router though the SoundBridge is connected via cable. I confirmed that DHCP was working since my Mac laptop was able to configure via DHCP (also connected via cable).

I was, however, able to configure the SoundBridge manually via telnet and everything seems to be working using the manual settings.

RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Sun Aug 22, 2004 9:28 pm

In our testing at roku, when we had trouble with the SoundBridge not getting a DHCP address, always came down to a poor wifi connection. The most common cause of this is incompatibility with the WiFi AP in use.

If this is the case, even though you manually assigned the IP address, you may experience slow audio startup, drop outs, etc. You may want to check out the WiFi compatibility page in the support section of our web site for tips on how to improve wifi performance (at the end of the page).

thanks

ddissett

Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:08 am

I too am using version 1.0.44 and DHCP did not work with my Netgear WGT624 over a wired connection. I tried multiple cables, different ports, etc. and the SoundBridge always wound up with a link-local address. I finally used telnet to set the IP config manually.

Perhaps there is some kind of DHCP compatibility problem with Netgear routers.

RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Fri Aug 27, 2004 10:20 am

we will check

ddissett

Additional information on DHCP & Netgear

Fri Aug 27, 2004 2:26 pm

After having DHCP not work from my Netgear router, I setup bootpd on my Mac (OS X) so I could do a Safe Mode upgrade. This worked fine -- the M2000 got an address and IP configuration from my Mac. So it does appear to be a problem specific to the Netgear. Also, version 1.1.6 has the same problem. Thanks.

corejack

DHCP

Sat Aug 28, 2004 9:31 am

I've been having nothing but problems with DHCP!!! I use a Cisco/LinkSys BEFsr41. Everything in the house (and down both sides of the street) works with this DHCP server, but the soundbridge won't resolve an IP address through a cat5e cable longer than 14', or with your wifi card more than 22' from my LinkSys B access point!

The best case I seem to get is to have the soundbridge connected to a POS D-Link 4-port switch, and the switch connected to the DHCP server.

Even when the soundbridge is running happily, the first device it's attached to shows 4-6 collisions/second!!! I have never seen a device behave like this.

BTW, that 80211.b card I bought from you seems to be flaky. When it's installed, about 50% of the boots lock up at "Let the music play". Irony.

Do you have any recommendations? Since LinkSys has more than 50% of soho market share, I think you'll want to include them in your test plan.
Corey Jackson
M1000 Soundbridge

RokuGreg
Roku Engineering

Re: Cable length

Wed Sep 01, 2004 3:06 pm

Today I tested the SoundBridge with a 100 meter cable, and it gets a DHCP address fine and plays music fine. It may be that you have a defective unit if you can't use a cable longer than 25 feet.

Greg Garner
Director of Hardware Engineering
Roku

Cus

Link Local Address

Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:58 pm

I've plugged my SB in to my network and having problems with DHCP as well. I have unplugged my SB andplugged in my laptop. No problem, it gets an IP, I plug my SB back in and get the same problem. The DHCP I'm using comes with the Leviton Internet Gateway.

I've never had problems with DHCP in the past.

Will I need to manually configure an IP?

Thanks for your help.

RokuGreg
Roku Engineering

Re: DHCP address

Wed Sep 22, 2004 10:13 pm

Cus:

That has worked for other users who had trouble getting DHCP addresses. We are looking at DHCP performance and we hope to improve it in some future release.

Greg Garner
Director of Hardware Engineering
Roku

adamw

Reboot works for me

Thu Sep 23, 2004 1:28 am

I had similar DHCP problems and found that if I chose “Reset to factory defaults” on the menu after the unit had acquired a link local address it would get a DHCP address successfully. I have to do this every time I unplug the unit.

I use a Dell Powerconnect 10/100 switch with DHCP from a box running OpenBSD, it is connected over 50' cat5e.

As a side note: I recently moved my M2000 and haven’t yet got a long enough cable to reach from the wall socket, so I used two shorter cables between the wall socket and the M2000 connected together with a 10Mbit hub, it now gets a DHCP address perfectly every time … strange.

Cheers
Adam

cus

Manual IP

Thu Sep 23, 2004 7:40 am

How can I add a manual IP address ? There are no instructions in the booklet on how to do this, should I use the HD instructions?

The cable I use is the one supplied with the SB as well.

igby

Same problem...

Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:28 pm

I've got an M2000 and an M1000 on the same wired (DHCP enabled) network. Neither will work when connected directly to a net jack in the wall, but will if there is a switch in bewteen. I've set the IP addresses manually (per suggestion), but the soundbridges still won't behave. So, the only way I've gotten them to work is to hang them off a little 4-port switch. The M2000 can't find the lone library on the network (but gets the auto private 169. addy), but the M1000 won't even acknowledge a connection at all.

Just so no one has to ask, other devices work fine when plugged directly into these jacks.

Any thoughts?

RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Thu Nov 04, 2004 4:41 pm

Yes, we have discovered that there is a small issue with the SoundBridge that causes it to not work reliably with some small percentage of wired routers and switches. The one driving your wall-plug net drops must be one of these.

The reason it works with the hub is that the isolates the SoundBrdige from the switch in your home-run that we are apparently not compatible with. You can:

- Contact support@rokulabs.com and we will swap the SoundBridges out with ones that have this problem fixed
- Leave your hub in, or move the hub to your home-run, and have it drive the two drops going to soundbridges
- replace the switch in your home run with a different brand (note that there is nothing "wrong" with your switch).

Sorry for the inconvenience.

Anthony

Geekage

Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:13 pm

RokuAnthony wrote:
- Contact support@rokulabs.com and we will swap the SoundBridges out with ones that have this problem fixed

So this is a hardware problem? What else have you fixed? :)

RokuAnthony
El Jefe

Fri Nov 05, 2004 12:39 am

Like all hardware companies, we make regular "rolling changes" on the production line. For example, to less expensive parts, to parts from alternate vendors because of supply issues or reliability issues, to improve reliability, and bug fixes. The fixes are for issues that didn’t show up in development or QA, because they are rare enough that we only notice them when there are thousands of units in the field. This was one of those. 99% of users will never have a problem with this particular issue.