Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

bits

DHCP working... kinda

Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:17 am

I have a Netgear WAB102 and a Windows 2003 Server as my DHCP server... I can get everything to work beautifully with WNC, but not MusicMatch Jukebox:( However, if I reboot the unit for some reason, it doesn't renew it's IP address successfully. However, if I power cycle the unit, it will renew the ip address 100% of the time... kinda a pain, but it works... just thought this might help...

-josh

RokuMike

Re: DHCP working... kinda

Sat Dec 04, 2004 1:42 am

bits wrote:
However, if I reboot the unit for some reason, it doesn't renew it's IP address successfully. However, if I power cycle the unit, it will renew the ip address 100% of the time.

Hm. I'm a little confused. These statements seem contradictory. What do you mean when you say reboot? How are you rebooting the unit?

bits

Re: DHCP working... kinda

Sat Dec 04, 2004 10:42 am

RokuMike wrote:
bits wrote:
However, if I reboot the unit for some reason, it doesn't renew it's IP address successfully. However, if I power cycle the unit, it will renew the ip address 100% of the time.

Hm. I'm a little confused. These statements seem contradictory. What do you mean when you say reboot? How are you rebooting the unit?

sorry, even thought that would be confusing... I was doing the initial setup and realized that if I configured the wireless (including entering the WEP key, which I've memorized, lol) it would reboot the unit after configuration... that's what I meant by rebooting... is there a way to reboot the unit otherwise? it would be useful for problematic dhcp servers and maybe "less compatible" access points...

Thx
-josh

RokuMike

Sat Dec 04, 2004 4:27 pm

Huh. I see. So, you adjusted your WiFi config and the unit re-started, but didn't get DHCP. You then power-cycled, and it did.

I haven't seen this problem before. I'll log a bug for investigation. Thanks!

Zanoryt

Wed Dec 08, 2004 4:41 am

I can confirm similar activity. Power cycles seem to help, but do not always solve the DHCP problems.

I'm starting to attribute the problem to slow and flaky wifi connections in my particular situation. The 802.11b compact flash card that comes with the Roku is really bad. I get 30-40% signals not even 5-10 feet away from my Access Points (and yes, I have multiple to test with of different brands).

Quite disappointing, but I'll most likely switch to wired to prevent the problem altogether.

TimD

Mon Apr 11, 2005 7:15 pm

I can confirm the same behavior using a NetGear WGT624 v2 router. I managed to get it connected over wi-fi enough to get Microsoft Media Connect to recognize the device, at which point I downloaded the latest firmware. When it rebooted, it wouldn't connect any more. The Wi-Fi connect status screen was showing that my SNR is about 2:1 (-48dB noise, -92dB signal... the wireless router is only about 15 feet away, in the next room, so you can't tell me the problem is a poor signal).

I also can confirm that whenever you re-enter the WEP key, the display says that it's rebooting, power cycles, and you get the Roku splash screen, followed by the "Let the music play" message, then an animation saying it's configuring the network connection. Then it goes to the menu that starts with "No music libraries found (why?)" message.

I have a Vonage VOIP router (not wireless) from Linksys that's plugged into one of the ports on my NetGear router, and if I plug a cable into that and then into the SB M1000, I can stream internet radio, but because of the physical separation from my LAN I can't get to my PC where my music library is. I didn't buy this thing to run more cable, I bought it because I wanted to use its wi-fi capability. I have serious doubts that there's anything particularly wrong with the WGT624 or any other router, but after reading some of the customer service reps' comments here, it's obvious that there are issues with the hardware and/or software on the Soundbridge. Can we expect to get a fix for this any time soon, or am I taking this back for a refund tomorrow?

RokuMike

Mon Apr 18, 2005 3:21 pm

Unfortunately, if you check out the list of compatible access points:

http://www.rokulabs.com/support/sbaccesspoints.php

You can see that that particular Netgear is not compatible at the moment. I'm sorry I don't have any workaround to suggest.

We have an engineer working on WiFi compatibility full-time, and hope to have significant improvements to offer in our next release, but I can't provide a timetable at this point, nor any guarantee about a specific access point.

The best we could suggest at this point would be to use a wired connection temporarily, or to consider switching to a different access point.

By the way, if your numbers are correct (-48dB noise and -92dB signal), they're absolutely horrendous. That indicates that the noise level is nearly 8x stronger than the signal. It may just be an artifact of the incompatibility, though.