Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

Wander
Topic Author

Playing which WMP account?

Sat Apr 02, 2011 9:44 am

Hi all

I've just upgraded to Windows 7 and now when I try to play from WMP the only option for an account to play doesn't exist on the computer. ie It shows I could play HOMEPC: KIDS:.............But there isn't an account by this name on the computer. What is the Roku detecting and how do I change it? I've looked through the WMP sharing options but can't see anything.

As an aside, I'd prefer to play through iTunes now but am not sure my Soundbridge supports it. On the front face of the Soundbridge it says on the right Roku Soundbridge M1000, on the left face Pinnacle, but when you reboot it it says Roku M1001. Should it work with iTunes? If so how do I set that up?

Thanks!

46jimbo

Re: Playing which WMP account?

Sat Apr 02, 2011 1:40 pm

I don't believe the Pinnacle version is licensed to work with iTunes.

eddieb

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:07 am

iTunes changed protocols some time ago, the SoundBridge firmware is not capable to connect to that protocol.
If you want to stream songs from OSX you should install FireFly mediaserver (formerly known as mt-daap) and let FireFly share your iTunes libray directory.
SoundBridge is perfactly capable to connect to a FireFly server and play your songs.

Eddie

dupondt

Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:20 am

eddieb wrote:
iTunes changed protocols some time ago, the SoundBridge firmware is not capable to connect to that protocol.

That's not correct. All Roku branded SoundBridges can connect to iTunes, Pinnacle branded devices can't and never could.

@Wander: As you have a Pinnacle branded SoundBridge you might want to install Firefly (http://nightlies.fireflymediaserver.org/version.php) to make you iTunes library available on the SoundBridge.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

Wander
Topic Author

Sun Apr 03, 2011 12:23 pm

I think you're right, the Pinnacle Sbs have never been able to play iTunes.

Loaded Firefly as a work around.

I'm a bit baffled as to how iTunes keeps its music anyway. The iTunes folder is within my "Music" folder and has some, but not all, of my music in it. From the iTunes library through iTunes itself if I open some songs file locations they're actually in my Music folder, outside the iTunes folder, confused!

Other issues are that I can't turn on media sharing in my account, which I 'm sure would let me use WMC as per normal, when I click on the option I get the "whirring cirlce" as if it's trying to do something but nothing actually changes.

And also there's this rogue account. On the network page I have the media player icon titled Soundbridge with a green "play" button, but I also have another media player icon called Kids showing the media music symbol.
:roll:

eddieb

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:00 pm

dupondt wrote:
That's not correct. All Roku branded SoundBridges can connect to iTunes, Pinnacle branded devices can't and never could.

That is strange, I have been using my Pinnacle branded SB for years while running iTunes 9. Just when Apple switched to iTunes 10, they changed something in the protocols and my SB won't play from iTunes shares anymore.
Before iTunes 10 it worked fine here...

dupondt

Sun Apr 03, 2011 1:30 pm

Wander wrote:
I'm a bit baffled as to how iTunes keeps its music anyway.

There are some options within iTunes allowing you to define where the music files are stored. I have always prefered disabling the option "Keep iTunes Media folder organized" and manually defining the music folder.

Other issues are that I can't turn on media sharing in my account, which I 'm sure would let me use WMC as per normal

If I were in your shoes I'd simply forget about WMC/WMP12. Firefly works far better and faster with the SoundBridge than any UPnP-AV server.

And also there's this rogue account. On the network page I have the media player icon titled Soundbridge with a green "play" button, but I also have another media player icon called Kids showing the media music symbol.

Which IP address is shown if you open this media player's properties?

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

Wander
Topic Author

Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:33 am

The rogue account has an ip address of 127.0.0.1. It also shows Model as WMP Sharing, with a link to the Microsoft page for remote media streaming. If I double click on it it opens WMP.

I don't mind using iTunes. In fact it wold be good to cut down on the music files, when I imported them into my iTunes account they got converted but seemed to double the amount of music held on my computer.

Thanks for all your help.

Anyone tried the new Logitech touch? Looks quick cool!