Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

skehs01
Topic Author

Soundbridge Cannot Connect to Internet With Wireless Bridge

Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:53 pm

Hello,

I've been a happy Soundbridge user for years now and have come across an issue with my new network setup. I was previously connecting the M500 wirelessly using WEP with no issues at all. However, since the M500 is my only legacy B device, I decided to purchase a draft N wireless bridge to increase network speed and improve security. Today, I set up a ZyXEL WAP 3205 in "client mode" and successfully associated the device with my wireless router, a Linksys E4200, now running WPA-2. When I connected the Soundbridge to the ZyXEL using an ethernet cable, it immediately popped up on my network. I can connect to it using the web interface, it communicates perfectly with the Firefly Media Server, and it plays streamed music from my music libraries. However, the M500 is no longer able to set the time nor can it play internet radio stations. The config screen on the M500 shows a properly assigned IP address and lists the Linksys router as the DNS. I have verified that the Linksys router sees the M500 and assigns it a static IP address, by which I can bring up the Soundbridge web interface on my LAN computers. When I connect a laptop to the wireless bridge, I am able to access the internet via the bridge, it just seems like the M500 cannot do so. It was my understanding that the wireless bridge would be completely transparent in my setup and that the Soundbridge would connect to my network as if it were wired directly into the router. Evidently, this isn't the case. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

DJans

Re: Soundbridge Cannot Connect to Internet With Wireless Bri

Wed Jun 15, 2011 2:08 am

I had the same problem some time ago when connecting an M2000 to a wireless bridge. I took the M2000, connected it to the my router directly and entered a static IP address, DNS... (using telnet, search the forum for a description link). Moreover it was necessary to assign a static IP address and IP settings to my bridge box.

Then I connected the M2000 with the static IP address back to the bridge and it worked.

Hope this helps
DJans

skehs01
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2011 10:15 am

Thanks for the suggestion, DJans. I tried it this morning to no avail. It seems that whether the Soundbridge gets its static IP from the router or I preset it via telnet, there is still a problem accessing the Internet. I think it's a compatibility issue between the Soundbridge and the Zyxel bridge. Could anyone recommend a wireless bridge (preferably draft n) that works well with an early model Soundbridge? Thanks again.

jjaf

Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:42 am

You should set up the static info on the M500 so that it matches what is being assigned to the laptop (apart from the IP address of course). Its unlikely to be a compatibility issue with a wired connection.
R1000, M400, M1001

skehs01
Topic Author

Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:06 pm

Problem solved! Thanks jjaf. You were right about this not being a wired compatibility issue between the Soundbridge and the Zyxel. It turns out that when in client mode, the Zyxel wap3205 setting for LAN MAC clone was "off" by default. Apparently this didn't bother the laptop or the LAN features of the Soundbridge but was preventing the M500 to properly connect to the internet. When I switched the MAC clone option to "auto" and rebooted, everything started working.