Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

fiveportions
Topic Author

Can't get radio on either Ethernet or Wifi

Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:05 pm

Hi Gang (first post) !

My excitement at winning this M1001 on ebay is waning after hours of trying to get some music out of it.
I'm primarily interested in receiving internet radio without the use of a computer.

My modem router is a BT Voyager 240 which is in turn connected to a Linksys E4200 wireless router.
Having had no success with WiFi (SB says found network after a fashion but cannot connect) I've gone back to basics with Ethernet plugged directly into the modem. The modem is quoted as having DCHP feature.

I've tried both crossover and ordinary network cables (modem router should adjust for that anyway).
And I've done the 'Reset to Factory Settings'.
Trying to Search or Browse for radio stations returns: 'Failed to load songs.'
Trying to do a software update (already on 3.0.44) returns 'Failed to contact server HTTP failure 408 - Request Timeout'.

Here's are the connection details it displays...

The ethernet connection is active and connected to a network.
DM90 Interface: 0 (kEthernet) has a dhcp assigned address.
MAC Address: 00:0D:4B:04:00:E8
IP Address: 192.168.1.3
Netmask: 255.255.255.0
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
DNS 1: 192.168.1.1
DNS 2: 0.0.0.0

The 'connection is active' part sounds positive but I can't receive any radio stations or perform a software update.

Any pointers would be appreciated. I have other modems I could try if necessary.
I'd also like to know the likelyhood of the Soundbridge being faulty.

Thanks for any help,

5p (Paul)

fiveportions
Topic Author

Re: Can't get radio on either Ethernet or Wifi

Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:31 am

Thanks for your response, bregent..

Yes, I do have 2 active routers, the BT one has the modem in it and the Linksys does the wireless. There's a short ethernet cable between them. This works ok for the 2 laptops and 2 PCs I have WI-FId up .

For simplicity, I've reverted to plugging the ethernet directly into the BT Modem (although I have tried every combination).
And yes, when I tried wireless I ensured 'b' mode was included by selecting 'b/g'.

There are no radio stations at all listed, although the manual says I should expect to have some 'Favourites' pre-loaded.

Is there an easy way to check if the SB is actually working; would the software update usually connect to SOMETHING or are the downloads no longer supported?

I've tried to use 'Search' and 'Browse' for radio stations and then type something in to look for like 'Paradise' but it always says nothing found (or words to that effect).

I've turned off a security setting on the BT modem (can't remember exactly what it was called) and checked that it is automatically assigning the ip which it seems to be doing.

I'd really love to get some internet radio though it. The next thing I COULD try would be to install loads of software and try to do things from the computer end, like streaming from my MP3 collection but I'm reluctant to make things even more complicated.

Would a factory reset normally wipe all the Favourite stations? Is there a sure-fire way of entering/registering a reliable radio station without using a computer?

Thanks again for the reply.

PS When you helped Al in NYC he said this...

Re: M1001 will not connect to internet radio
by AlinNYC » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:56 am

It seems that going into my router interface and doing a DHCP release and renew has done the trick. Radio playing fine now. Thanks!

I'm not sure what 'release and renew' means but I'll see if I have similar options and will report back.

dupondt

Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:39 pm

Hi Paul,

welcome to the forums.

A couple of questions:

a) What happens if you connect the SoundBridge to the Linksys router with an ethernet cable?
b) Which type of Wi-Fi security is your Linksys router using (none, WEP, WPA/WPA2)?
c) Is a DHCP server active on the Linksys router?
d) What's the IP address of the Linksys router?
e) Does the SoundBridge show up in "Network Places" on one or more of your computers?

Trying to do a software update (already on 3.0.44) returns 'Failed to contact server HTTP failure 408 - Request Timeout'.

This message indicates that the SoundBridge can't access the internet or that something in the router (a firewall, for example) is interfering. You should get the message "Your software is up to date".

the manual says I should expect to have some 'Favourites' pre-loaded.

First of all as regards internet radio the manual is quite useless as it describes a very old firmware version (2.5 IIRC). Your version (3.0.44) is the latest (and last) stable version, there were some betas but they aren't available any more.

The "preloaded Favourites" in reality are the preloaded Presets stored in the SoundBridge's internal memory. If you have performed a factory reset most of these won't work as they are heavily outdated.

Is there a sure-fire way of entering/registering a reliable radio station without using a computer?

No, not unless your SoundBridge has access to RadioRoku.com which it obviously hasn't.

Using a computer you can check if the SoundBridge is properly connected to your network and the internet as follows:

a) Open the page http://IP.of.your.SoundBridge/SoundBridgePresets.html (where IP.of.your.SoundBridge is the - surprise, surprise - IP of your SoundBridge, for example 192.168.1.3) with your browser.
b) Copy and paste the audio URL http://www.ipmusic.ch/ipmusic128.m3u into the field "URL" of Preset A1 and put "IP Music" into the field "Name".When you're done, click the button "Update Presets" which you will find in the bottom right corner of the page.
c) Click the "Play" button on the right of Preset A1.
d) Your SoundBridge should start playing. If it doesn't but instead displays "Connecting to station" and then "Re-trying station" there's something wrong with its internet connection.

The next thing I COULD try would be to install loads of software and try to do things from the computer end, like streaming from my MP3 collection

No need to install "loads of software". If you're running WIndows 7, all you have to do is to enable streaming in Windows Media Player, the SoundBridge should then see WMP's media server and have access to the music library. It should also be possible to use WMP's "Play to" feature to send music to the SoundBridge.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

fiveportions
Topic Author

Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:56 pm

Thanks for spending the time to help, Dupondt.

My enthusiasm is rekindled by the fact that, following your instructions, I 'got into' the Soundbridge and could enter the Preset URL you supplied. I can also access it from 'My Network Places' in XP where it appears as a UPnP device. Unfortunately, it does keep retrying rather than play but it's a start.

a) I get the same results when connecting to the Linksys: it says I'm connected to the network but I can't 'get out' (eg. access the internet).
b) I'm using WPA2-PSK (my player is a M10001)
c) Yes, DHCP Server is activated
d) ip of Linksys: 192.168.0.1 (BT Voyager Modem is 192.168.1.1)
e) Yes, when I select to show UPnP devices it proudly sits in my 'Network Places' on XP :)

I tried the 'Play To' from WMP in Win 7 but it didn't work, although Soundbridge did appear as a 'Play to' device. The same Win7 PC wouldn't let me access the Roku in the Network. It asked for a User ID and Password.

I shall perservere. May well install a Media Server and see if I can at least play files across my Home Network.
Or try another modem / fiddle further with the BT Voyager settings.

5p

dupondt

Wed Mar 14, 2012 2:02 am

Paul,

I 'got into' the Soundbridge and could enter the Preset URL you supplied.

That's good news as it shows that the SoundBridge is correctly configured and connected to your LAN.

c) Yes, DHCP Server is activated
d) ip of Linksys: 192.168.0.1 (BT Voyager Modem is 192.168.1.1)

These might be at least some of your problems. Your LAN not only consists of two separate networks (subnets) but also has two active DHCP servers.

As you connect to the internet via the BT modem-router you might want to use the Linksys as an access point only (see pages 36 to 38 of the user guide) to ensure that there's only one subnet and one DHCP server.

Or try another modem / fiddle further with the BT Voyager settings.

That's all you can do, I'm afraid.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

fiveportions
Topic Author

Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:46 pm

GOT IT GOING!

Have been up Paradise Radio and down Folk Alley!

Thanks for all the help, it encouraged me to perservere.
Replaced BT Voyager 240 with Netgear DG632 and everything's working a treat.

I wonder if I should volunteer the Voyager as a munter in the published list of compatible routers?

Looking forward to exploring further into internet radio and deciding on a software music server to play my mp3/WAVs from.

Paul (5p)

Roboman

M1001 Firmware

Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:07 am

Hi Roku Moderators,

I've 2 questions for you; I've tried to find the latest formware for the M1001. Currently I run 3.0.44 my 2 units.
Do you have an overview what the last version 3.05X features to see if it has value for me to update.
I don't want to repair anything that has not been broken before!

Regards
Roboman (NL)