Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

curryman
Topic Author

How to install Firmware 40 onto a Pinnacle Soundbridge

Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:16 pm

I have a Pinnacle SoundBridge and want to run it on a Squeezeboxserver (7.7.2). The SoundBridge detects that server and I can by using the IR remote control go though the menus and play the audio files. So far so good.
But the Soundbridge is not recognized by the Squeezeboxserver. That means it is not possible to control the SoundBridge like a Squeezeslave.
I have heard that the SoundBridge can be upgraded to Firmware 40 and then the SoundBridge acts like a Squeezeslave.
But the problem is my SoundBridge do not offer the possibility to do an upgrade. When I push "Upgrade" the SoundBridge returns the installed SW is o.k. The installed SW is 3.0.44.

Can anybody tell me how I can upgrade my SoundBridge. Many thanks in advance.

jjaf

Re: How to install Firmware 40 onto a Pinnacle Soundbridge

Thu Apr 19, 2012 3:23 pm

Presumably you followed the instructions here.

The ability to control the Soundbridge from Squeezeserver was broken a long time ago, I don't think the Soundbridge plugin for Squeezeserver (which is the version 40 you mention) is maintained any more. The fact that you can still connect to the latest Squeezeserver versions is possibly more by chance rather than design. The 3.0.44 version is the Soundbridge's native firmware version and that is the latest and last version, it knows nothing about the Squeezeserver plugin patch.
R1000, M400, M1001

curryman
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:09 am

Thanks a lot for the information and the link. I followed the instructions but without success.
As I understood is the item 2) the important one.

2. Reboot (unplug) your Roku Soundbridge, Select "Change Library or Configuration" and select "Slimserver." Then press and hold down the "brightness" button on the remote (upper right) and it should let you upgrade the software -- which should count up to version 40.

I started to force my soundbridge to factory setting.
Then the soundbridge starts up and I give it the access to my WiFi Network (WPA with password).
The soundbridge detects the Logitech Media Server [computer name] and connects directly.

However to follow the instruction I forced a reboot of the soundbridge (by command and by powercycle with the same result)

I Select "Library/Configuration".

Here the first question: Does "Select" mean to point only with the arrow to "Library/Configuration" or followed pressing the o.k key?
I tried both with no success.

The next problem I do not have a "brightness" button on the remote. I have only a "adjust display button" on the upper left.

I can press that button as long as I like nothing happens.

When I change after pressing the button for a minute or so to "upgrade" I still receive the answer " your software is up to date".
Also I do not see a possibility force a manual update.

I think I do something wrong but I cannot identify what.
Maybe someone can tell me what I'm doing wrong.

jjaf

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:04 pm

I suspect you are connecting to another media library on that computer (WMP perhaps), not the Squeezeserver. Unless you have installed the Squeezeserver plug-in, Soundbridge cannot connect to Squeezeserver because it uses a proprietary protocol. You can check this out by stopping Squeezeserver and see if the Soundbridge still connects to the computer named library.

There are 2 different remote controls, the brightness button is the same as the adjust display button on yours.
R1000, M400, M1001

curryman
Topic Author

Fri Apr 20, 2012 2:48 pm

That I have already checked. I have running the Squeezeserver onto a ubuntu server 11.10 running. The host name of the ubuntu server is "squeezeboxserver".
When I power up the Soundbridge it gives me the choice "Internet Radio" and "Logitech Media Server [squeezeboxserver]. In the bracket is the host name so I'm sure I'm on the correct server.

When I shut-down that server and power up the Soundbridge, the Soundbridge complains there is no Server.

So I'm pretty sure the Soundbridge can connect to a Logitech Media Server without anything special. I can select and play my complete mp3 samples.

jjaf

Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:38 pm

In which case you have taken it as far as it can go on the Soundbridge. As I said earlier I don't think the control function for the Soundbridge works any more, which is my experience on the Windows version, I don't use Ubuntu. You may find out more on the Squeezeserver forums.
R1000, M400, M1001

curryman
Topic Author

Mon May 07, 2012 12:35 pm

It seems difficult to force the Pinnacle Soundbridge to download Firmware 40. I followed the succession and installed the last from Roku "supported" Slimserver. But the result is the same as I described earlier. My next Idea was that maybe the Pinnacle Soundbridge I own is defective. I bought two more. The effect is the same. I never got the possibility to do an upgrade manually or Firmware 40 is offered.

But there is maybe another way. Under telnet <IP of Pinnacle Soundbridge> 4444 several very interesting commands are available. One offers the possibility to do an upgrade.

SoundBridge> softwareupgrade
usage: softwareupgrade net|checknet|local|checklocal
       net        - performs a software upgrade over the net
       checknet   - checks for software upgrade availability over the net
       local      - performs a software upgrade from local storage
       checklocal - checks for software upgrade availability on local storage

The upgrade via net is also from the command line not working, but I wonder if someone can offer the Firmware 40 as a file. In that case it should be possible to do the upgrade locally.

dupondt

Mon May 07, 2012 1:35 pm

curryman,

which Pinnacle SoundBridge model are we talking about? If it's a Home Music (M400PX) it isn't compatible with Slimserver/SqueezeCenter because of its small display (see here). It will display (and work with) "Logitech Media Server", but will not show "SlimServer" as an option.

My other SoundBridges (R1000, M1000, M1001) running firmware versions 3.0.44 and 3.0.52 (beta, now unavailable) work A/OK with the latest version of SqueezeCenter (Logitech Media Server 7.7.2). They offer "Logitech Media Server" and "SlimServer" as available servers and are recognised by the "SlimServer".

BTW: The commands you discovered by telneting to the box have nothing to do with Slimserver/SqueezeCenter, they look for and install updates of the SoundBridge's firmware.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

curryman
Topic Author

Tue May 08, 2012 1:05 pm

Thanks for the advice. It is correct I own a SoundBridge M400 (current three). But I do not have any problem to enter the Squeezeserver and its content from that SB. I can access all of it. No problems with the display. If the text is longer, the display is rolling and all can be read.

I would point out that I'm looking for a solution to control the SB from the Squeezeserver and that is according the information I have until now only possible (with some small limitations).

An other approach could be some kind of bridge between RCP and the Slimserver protocol. In my opinion that cold be some kind on demon that looks for the SB like i.e. Firefly and uses RCP and for the SlimServer that demon looks like a Squeezeslave. The demon translates and moves commands and the streams. Due the fact both protocols RCP and Squeezeslave (including the c source) are available I wonder if such demon is already existing or could be written.
If such program exists I would spend real money for it.

dupondt

Wed May 09, 2012 12:07 pm

curryman wrote:
But I do not have any problem to enter the Squeezeserver and its content from that SB. I can access all of it.

What your M400 sees is Logitech Media Server's new DLNA/UPnP-AV part which came with version 7.7.0 (please see the Release Notes). As all SoundBridges support UPnP-AV they are compatible with this part of Logitech Media Server.

If Logitech Media Server (formerly known as SlimServer, SqueezeCenter and Squeezebox Server) is running all SoundBridge models except the M400 and presumably the M500 will see two servers: Logitech Media Server (the new DLNA part) and SlimServer (the old SlimServer/SqueezeCenter part). The M400 and presumably the M500 will only see Logitech Media Server (the new DLNA part).

I'm looking for a solution to control the SB from the Squeezeserver

The bad news is that this won't be possible, as it would require a connection to Logitech Media Server's old SlimServer/SqueezeCenter part which is not supported by the M400.

The good news is that with DLNA/UPnP-AV you can use a so-called "control point" on a computer, tablet or smartphone to control the SoundBridge as well as all other DLNA/UPnP-AV clients on your home network.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot