Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

DennisQ
Topic Author

Stations That Play on PC Don't Play on Mac - M500

Sat Apr 21, 2012 2:38 am

Of the stations that play on PC, only a few also play on Mac. I can't figure out what the difference is between a "plays on Mac" station and one that doesn't, especially since so many of them play on PC with no problem. Some stations prompt for a plugin, but so far none of the suggested plugins has worked.

I prefer the Mac because of software unique to the Mac, specifically Garage Band. This program has features that aren't available on PC. However, the radio stations that "play on Mac" are scarce. Some of them do work! Just not enough of them. How can I fix this so I get the "play on PC" stations to play on Mac?

DennisQ
Topic Author

Re: Stations That Play on PC Don't Play on Mac - M500

Sat May 05, 2012 12:37 am

The difference between the stations that play on the Mac and the ones that don't is that Apple computers don't play WMA files. Since <b>most</b> internet radio stations use WMA encoding, not MP3, the result is that most stations that play on the PC don't play on the Mac. The mystery is solved, even if the "solution" turns out to be less-than-satisfactory.

Roku makes very fine equipment; and so does Apple. However, it appears that Apple and Roku are not as compatible as PCs and Roku. I am still looking for a way to download WMA files on my Mac. If Roku won't do it automatically, perhaps some other manufacturer has this functionality built in so that I don't have to do backflips recording downloaded files and then converting them.

I am disappointed.

jjaf

Tue May 08, 2012 11:31 am

Your post makes little sense. The M500 has nothing to do with what streams won't play on your Mac, why are you apportioning blame to it?

And what does internet radio have to do with downloading files? If you are looking for on the fly transcoding then you are barking up the wrong tree here. :roll:
R1000, M400, M1001

dupondt

Tue May 08, 2012 11:58 am

DennisQ wrote:
Apple computers don't play WMA files.

They do: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/windows/products/windows-media-player/wmcomponents

<b>most</b> internet radio stations use WMA encoding, not MP3

That's wrong. Based on what I've seen in Radio Roku and my own database it's 55% MP3, 30% WMA and 15% AAC.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot

DennisQ
Topic Author

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:29 am

I still don't have an answer to my original question, "Of the stations that play on PC, only a few also play on Mac." When I'm using my Mac I want to access as many stations as I can when I'm using my PC. I can't do that now.

dupondt

Mon Jun 04, 2012 3:48 am

DennisQ wrote:
How can I fix this so I get the "play on PC" stations to play on Mac?

a) Install the required audio components on your Mac (for example Windows Media Components for QuickTime).
b) Try a different browser (for example Firefox).
c) Contact Apple and ask them to support industry standards.

BTW #1: There is no guarantee that "Play on PC" or "Play on Mac" will work for each and every station. When a station is added to Radio Roku, the prime consideration is that it plays on the SoundBridge. The fact that it may also play on a PC or Mac via use of one of the Radio Roku widgets should only be considered as a bonus.

BTW #2: Both the SoundBridges and Radio Roku are legacy products, so complaining about "missing" features doesn't make much sense.

Greetings
dupondt
SoundBridge M1001 and M1000 • Clint L1 (retired) • DNT IP-dio (retired)
Google Chromecast • Amazon Fire TV • Amazon Echo and Echo Dot