Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

FoxtrotHotel
Topic Author

Soundbridge M1001 stalls on start-up

Fri Apr 05, 2013 5:55 am

Good day dear forum-members.
Inherited a Pinnacle/ROKU Soundbridge M1001. Looks as if everything is with it: the unit itself, a -probably non original- 5V 2000mA PS, Reemote Control unit, UserGuide (English), QuickStartGuide (multi lingual), audio connectioncord and a Pinnacle Support fold-out leaflet. And the original box with styrofoam inlay.
I am new to this kind of devices, its primary use will be internet radio listening, playing iTunes songs from my iMac would be nice, but I can very well live without.
However, powering the device up does not go beyond a message in the display: ROKU Soundbridge.
The message comes up for 0,5 seconds, dims for 0,5 seconds (or 'flickers' for 1 second), comes up for 3 seconds, dims for 5 seconds, this cycles on continuously until power down (pull the plug). Pressing any key on the RC does nothing neither does starting or powering up with a key pressed.
The powersupply: tested OK it with a 5 ohm resistor; the batteries in the RC haven been replaced by known to be fresh ones.
I am out of ideas. Could it be I inherited a broken ('kaputt') Soundbridge?
Any bright ideas to solve this unwanted behaviour? Please ....

Greetings from continental Europe
FoxtrotHotel

FrankB

Re: Soundbridge M1001 stalls on start-up

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:07 am

Try booting it in safe mode and doing a factory reset if you can get in to safe mode.

Apply power while pressing a remote button.

Frank

46jimbo

Fri Apr 05, 2013 6:41 am

It still could be the power supply. You have to test it when it is under load. If you read this forum, you will see that many people thought the power supply was good, but in reality it wasn't providing enough juice.

Also, I don't think the Pinnacle version can deal with iTunes. Perhaps someone else can verify this.

FoxtrotHotel
Topic Author

Fri Apr 05, 2013 11:59 am

Thank you FrankB and 46jimbo for your replies. The boot in safe mode did the trick. It took three attempts before I got the thing booted in the safe mode, one has to very carefully and precisely point the RC's IR-LED into the direction of the M1001's IR-eye. In order to rule out a defective RC, I checked its proper functioning via my iMac's build-in iSight camera, those things can 'see' IR and show in the visual. So I found out, the RC emitted IR light. OK, now I do have the BBC-World Service again, great. There is more to come, I work my way through the device.
So, I made it into the safe mode and could do the factory-reset, followed by a restart, and again a round of entering my WiFi network data.
One thing puzzles me: from the first moment on, I have the M1001 wired via CAT-5E ethernet, a gigabit switch to a DSL-modem/router. Why does the Soundbridge in the configure process ask for the WiFi data like WiFi-network name and WPA-key? How should one proceed in case there is only a wired network and no WiFi network?

Thanks for the coop so far!

Greetings from continental Europe
FoxtrotHotel

FrankB

Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:58 am

FoxtrotHotel wrote:
So, I made it into the safe mode and could do the factory-reset, followed by a restart, and again a round of entering my WiFi network data.
One thing puzzles me: from the first moment on, I have the M1001 wired via CAT-5E ethernet, a gigabit switch to a DSL-modem/router. Why does the Soundbridge in the configure process ask for the WiFi data like WiFi-network name and WPA-key? How should one proceed in case there is only a wired network and no WiFi network?

That sounds like the M1001 is not detecting the wired network. Bad network cable?

Frank