Your Digital Media Has Never Looked So Good

markwill
Topic Author

No libraries found (on M500 Christmas present!!)

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:00 am

I am running version 2.3.44 on an M500. I receive the "No music libraries found" message.

. I am running over wireless
. I receive an IP address from my router
. I can play Internet Radio stations (so network plumbing seems fine)
. I can access the M500's web page fine from my PC
. I can Telnet into the M500 from my PC
. WMC is running on my PC and all seems configured fine
. I have temporarily disabled the firewall on my PC (for troubleshooting)
. I have rebooted both the PC and the M500

Any thoughts? I am setting up a Christmas present in advance and the recipient is around tomorrow - so would REALLY like to get this fixed today :-)

Thoughts?

Mark

mebby

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:10 am

Have you activated the SB from within WMC? You should've gotten a pop up window on WMC once the SB first connected to your network indicating that new device was found.
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers
M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers
HD1000 wired

markwill
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:15 am

mebby wrote:
Have you activated the SB from within WMC? You should've gotten a pop up window on WMC once the SB first connected to your network indicating that new device was found.

Yep (I'm not sure, but I don't think I'd be able to get to the M500's web page without having gone through this step). Anyway, in WMC the machine is listed and flagged as "Allowed".

Thanks for the suggestion.

Mark

mebby

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:23 am

Tried rebooting both the computer and then the SB (in that order)?
M1000 wired running WMC and Rhapsody servers

M1001 wireless running WMC and Rhapsody servers

HD1000 wired

markwill
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:30 am

mebby wrote:
Tried rebooting both the computer and then the SB (in that order)?

Just tried that (I had rebooted both before but wasn't sure if I did it in that order) - no joy I'm afraid.

Mark

Burkhardi

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:40 am

does your 500 show WIndows Media Connect on the display and there are no libaries to be found, or does the 500 not see WMC either?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

markwill
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:45 am

Burkhardi wrote:
does your 500 show WIndows Media Connect on the display and there are no libaries to be found, or does the 500 not see WMC either?

The M500 doesn't show any libraries (is that what you mean by "does your 500 show Windows Media Connect on the display?). I don't recall anything I should see on the display in normal operation other than the libraries it finds (I haven't ever seen a Soundbridge say it found WMC itself).

By the way, I should add that this same 500 successfully found libraries early today when I hooked it up at a different home. So, that would suggest a problem at the PC end. Keep in mind that the PC can connect to the M500 (ping, telnet and via the web page) and the firewall is disabled for now.

So, I'm confused :-(

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming :-)

Mark

Burkhardi

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:50 am

you running the Windows Firewall, an aftermarket one like Norton or McAfee or both? i would disable them all and see what happends. Have you opened the WMC iterface and started the server?
Roku3 and Roku HD1000 [Rev B] on a Samsung HLP5674W DLP in the living room; a Roku2 and two Roku XS and a few SoundBridges.Win7; Kubuntu and XP via RT-N66U, E2000 and a switch or two. I own stock in Roku, it's just all in the form of hardware.Viva la Roku

Burkhardi

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:51 am

also check out www.wmcplayer.com there is a WMC forum there.

markwill
Topic Author

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:53 am

Burkhardi wrote:
you running the Windows Firewall, an aftermarket one like Norton or McAfee or both? i would disable them all and see what happends. Have you opened the WMC iterface and started the server?

The only firewall installed on the machine is the XP SP2 firewall (now disabled). I have stopped/restarted the WMC service via the Control Panel. All indications suggest that the M500 is communicating with WMC since it's "registering" in WMC and is flagged as Allowed. So, at least some traffic is getting to the M500 (and via versa).

Mark

Burkhardi

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:53 am

it may be a WMC issue too. if it were me, since your under the X-Mas gun, I would download Slimserver. its free, and if the 500 can see it, then it's a WMC issue. you can also try MusicMatch too.

Burkhardi

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:55 am

markwill wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:

The only firewall installed on the machine is the XP SP2 firewall (now disabled). I have stopped/restarted the WMC service via the Control Panel. All indications suggest that the M500 is communicating with WMC since it's "registering" in WMC and is flagged as Allowed. So, at least some traffic is getting to the M500 (and via versa).

Mark

I had something simular happen to me. Do you have another XP machine there? Antoher tower or laptop?

Burkhardi

Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:04 pm

markwill wrote:
Burkhardi wrote:

The M500 doesn't show any libraries (is that what you mean by "does your 500 show Windows Media Connect on the display?). I don't recall anything I should see on the display in normal operation other than the libraries it finds (I haven't ever seen a Soundbridge say it found WMC itself).

By the way, I should add that this same 500 successfully found libraries early today when I hooked it up at a different home. So, that would suggest a problem at the PC end. Keep in mind that the PC can connect to the M500 (ping, telnet and via the web page) and the firewall is disabled for now.

So, I'm confused :-(

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming :-)

Mark

One last thing, have you tried to connect to your network with the 500's menu? Somewhere in the 500's menu there is a scan (or look) for networks. try that and see if it see's your network. Perhaps its trying to look at the one tht was at the ohter house (for the server content)?

markwill
Topic Author

Sat Dec 24, 2005 2:11 am

Burkhardi wrote:
it may be a WMC issue too. if it were me, since your under the X-Mas gun, I would download Slimserver. its free, and if the 500 can see it, then it's a WMC issue. you can also try MusicMatch too.

OK, so I installed SlimServer and have a somewhat different experience. When I restart the M500, I see "Play SlimServer <PC>". I select that and then see "Trying to contact SlimServer <PC>". After a few seconds I see "Couldn't connect to SlimServer <PC>".

So, what's different (with WMC) is that the M500 is aware that SlimServer is up and running. I have no familiarity with SlimServer - I've installed it just for testing this issue - so don't know if I have to authorize the M500 in any way.

Anyway, at this point I am getting a little desperate :-) I REALLY want the M500 to work when we open it as a present. That's about 30 hours and counting :-)

Any thoughts very welcome....

Mark

mikemd109

same problem

Sat Dec 24, 2005 9:25 am

I'm having the same problem. I get the message "no music libraries found" . It was working fine the other day and when I turned it on this morning NOTHING! I'm totally frustrated and am just going to return the flower thing to Best Buy and never buy another Roku device. Good luck solving your problem before Christmas